Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

They have nowhere to park their fleet. Do we see single-digit rates?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

They have nowhere to park their fleet. Do we see single-digit rates?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2020, 2:27 am

Programs: Top Tier Flyertalk Member
Originally Posted by YVR_Flyer123
So I needed a car last week as mine was in the shop. I’ve was $43 a day. Not too bad but this seemed in line with what I usually pay.

I’m EE. The lot at YVR had 2 cars when I arrived. The agent wanted to give me a Chevy Equinox which I declined and asked nicely for the Durango Hemi.

When I returned the car. All I saw was a Ford Ecosport. I would’ve had a fit (somewhat joking) if I was given that for $43/day. The greeter told me only 10 cars were reserved that day so I’m wondering why the rates haven’t decreased.
That's pretty disappointing. Did you check Hertz by any chance?
Old Jun 20, 2020, 12:03 pm

Programs: Lotz
Airport fees

Originally Posted by bocastephen
If you are renting long term, you should plan a day trip to the LA area, open your contract at LA/Venice and then stop by the LAX location to swap into the car that you want. The staff was super helpful when I did this.

What I did was go to LAX first, looked at their selection, chose a car that I liked, the manager put that car on hold while I went up to Venice to open the contract and I drove to LAX with something that location didn't want, then I swapped into my Mercedes and off I went - and I don't need to do anything further for 3 months vs my weekly stops at National/Anaheim to renew with the $20 coupon and generate extra free days (or one-two-frees). I don't think I am switching permanently as I am sure the SIXT rates will get a big boost once things return to near-normal, and I still need another 40 National rental days to keep EE.
Now that's a Flyertalk thread whose time has come. Airport fees and taxes are now increasing my rentals by 50% to 100%.

I suspect Sixt is using the period as a way to expand market share as Southwest is doing with air travel.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.