Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Optimal reservation strategy (EE free days) to get the car I want at SAN

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Optimal reservation strategy (EE free days) to get the car I want at SAN

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2020, 7:56 am
QBK
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Definitely would have been fun, but I seriously doubt that they would have let you have it for a one way. Last fall my wife and I flew into PHX to visit our daughter in Tucson for 3 days. The Exec Aisle at PHX was a ghost town, but they had a Maserati Ghibli in the upgrade area with a $75 hang tag ($60 for EE). We grabbed it and had a blast (it's a great freeway cruiser), but they were very insistent that we *must* return it back to PHX, and that it must be on time. I think there may have even been a form they made me sign, agreeing to the no-one-way stipulation.

I'm glad I did it, but it's pretty much out of my system now...
Mmm, good point. They did offer it to me for the $60 upcharge, but maybe if we'd gotten seriously into it, they would have realized that I had a 1-way, and retracted the offer.

I've had pretty good opportunities with National to try cars that are "exotic" to me -- which is just to say that I wouldn't consider buying them, but think it's neat to get the opportunity to drive them:
- BMW X5 (LAX)
- Jaguar F-Pace (actually Enterprise, upstate NY)
- Volvo XC90 (NYC)
- Cadillac XT5 (ABQ)
- Land Rover Velar (PHX)
- Audi Q3 (FLL)
- Mini soft top (SFO)
- Miata hard top (SFO)
- multiple Mercedes-Benz

My benchmark is usually "Do I like this better than my own car?" and it's surprisingly hard, given that I drive a 5-year old Subaru Forester XT. Thing is, I really like the turbo Forester -- it's not luxurious by any means, but it's really engaging, comfortable, and satisfying to drive. The only rentals that clearly beat it were the X5 and the F-Pace (XC90 and GLC300 were too close to call). But even the rentals that I don't like more are fun as educational experiences!
Old Feb 25, 2020, 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by QBK
Mmm, good point. They did offer it to me for the $60 upcharge, but maybe if we'd gotten seriously into it, they would have realized that I had a 1-way, and retracted the offer.

I've had pretty good opportunities with National to try cars that are "exotic" to me -- which is just to say that I wouldn't consider buying them, but think it's neat to get the opportunity to drive them:
- BMW X5 (LAX)
- Jaguar F-Pace (actually Enterprise, upstate NY)
- Volvo XC90 (NYC)
- Cadillac XT5 (ABQ)
- Land Rover Velar (PHX)
- Audi Q3 (FLL)
- Mini soft top (SFO)
- Miata hard top (SFO)
- multiple Mercedes-Benz

My benchmark is usually "Do I like this better than my own car?" and it's surprisingly hard, given that I drive a 5-year old Subaru Forester XT. Thing is, I really like the turbo Forester -- it's not luxurious by any means, but it's really engaging, comfortable, and satisfying to drive. The only rentals that clearly beat it were the X5 and the F-Pace (XC90 and GLC300 were too close to call). But even the rentals that I don't like more are fun as educational experiences!
Sounds like we have a similar outlook on rentals. I try to get something that I have never driven before (and if I can't do that, I really like the Edge Titanium). My "at home" car is a 2015 Mustang GT, so I rarely find something that's more fun to drive. A Miata in Denver was close, but it needed about 100% more hp.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:39 am
QBK
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K-MM + UC, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
Sounds like we have a similar outlook on rentals. I try to get something that I have never driven before (and if I can't do that, I really like the Edge Titanium). My "at home" car is a 2015 Mustang GT, so I rarely find something that's more fun to drive. A Miata in Denver was close, but it needed about 100% more hp.
Agree on the Edge Titanium! The Edge and the Grand Cherokee define a particular rental experience for me: "There was nothing really exciting available, so I took one of these and I'm completely, totally content with it." I've driven them enough to know exactly what I'm getting (so nothing "sexy" about the experience), but I also know I'm going to be totally content. They're both actually a bit too big, but their smaller cousins (Escape and Jeep Cherokee) are just far enough downmarket to be a little disappointing. The Escape Titanium is pretty good, but the gap between the Cherokee and the Grand Cherokee (in comfort and performance) is pretty noticeable.

I enjoyed the heck out of the Miata -- enough that I'm seriously considering buying a used one in a few years as a midlife crisis -- but it's definitely not a muscle car. The Miata makes 55mph much more fun than any other car I've driven... but as you go faster than 55mph, it actually gets less fun IMO. God help me if I ever get to drive a Carrera or a Z3.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I actually like the QX60 better than QX80. Feels more nimble. And I never need the space anyway.

At SAN you better reserve a convertible if you want one. They sell out. I had one reserved and they had nothing (no cars at all), so waited til they pulled stuff up. And ended up getting a 4 series. But I don't even know that you can reserve anything higher than a standard convertible anyway.
The QX80 is a leviathan and has all the nimbleness of an elephant trying to roller skate. Agreed on the QX60. Still an SUV but displays some basic elements of handling and sportiness. The front wheel drive version is a bit of a handful if you are heavy with your right foot,
Old Mar 5, 2020, 7:19 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
That’s great you got the GLC on a one way. I’ve found it sometimes a challenge to get nicer cars on one way reservations (especially to smaller stations like MFR). There’s a strong possibility they wouldn’t have let you take the Maserati either, even with the upgrade charge

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.