Wiki Posts
Search

Help! Unasked for CDW charged - FLL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Help! Unasked for CDW charged - FLL

Tried searching the forum for similar issue but came up empty

TLDR; got cram with unasked for CDW @ FLL (paid with Chase Sapphire Reserve), customer service was no help, initiated partial chargeback, National threaten collection

Recently took a rental at FLL through Emerald Aisle (Nissan Rogue if that matter)

I used a corporate code with CDW included (my reservation confirmation clearly listed CDW included) but it is personal travel so I used my Chase Sapphire Reserve to pay for everything intending to use their Rental car insurance member benefit.

I did not ask for CDW at anypoint during the pickup/check out process at FLL

At the end of the trip, I returned the car, due to the confusing roads around FLL and lack of signage and traffic at the airport we returned the car later than planned and fast approaching our flight.

Upon drop off the attendant gave me a charge higher than my reservation, I disputed and he said I need to goto the service desk. I went and explain my situation, the rep made a copy of the print out that say unable to complete return and said I will get a email to do the dispute so I don't miss my flight.

Funny thing is AFTER i got on the rental car shuttle to the terminal, I got notice from Jet Blue that my flight back to ORD was delayed by 2 hours.

So a week later I finally got an email from National which is just the rental agreement, called National Corp customer service 2x to dispute and the said the FLL manager will call me back (never did, no voicemail and no national caller ID numbers)

I initiated a PARTIAL chargeback with Chase Sapphire customer services. National finally responded and wrote that any unreversed chargebackw ill be send to collection.

So what are my options and best course of action at this point. I don't want to let them get away with this scam, but a collection would be a PITA (never have a collection, FICO 800+)

Is there some high level national corp support I can get help from? If they send it to collection can I fight it in small claim court or something?

Thanks in advance
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What was the result of the partial chargeback? You have not provided that and it seems to be the critical question.

Too late in this case, but do be careful of chargebacks as an increasing number of merchants simply fire customers who do so and others send even small amounts to collections.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
What was the result of the partial chargeback? You have not provided that and it seems to be the critical question.

Too late in this case, but do be careful of chargebacks as an increasing number of merchants simply fire customers who do so and others send even small amounts to collections.
The partial charge back has not complete yet. National just responded as part of the charge back process and their response is where they wrote that unreversed charge back will be send to collection. I have till end of Jan to decide if I want to continue with the charge back. Their document so far is a copy of the rental term, a copy of the invoice/rental agreement showing the cdw, a copy of the reservation that did not show the cdw, and the text response saying I'm emerald club that's why don't have signature
Old Jan 17, 2020, 5:04 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

This is confusing because you state that, "I used a corporate code with CDW included (my reservation confirmation clearly listed CDW included)" -- but then you imply that National charged you extra for it. How could they charge extra to add on something that was already included? It would help if you could provide a screenshot (with any identifying information blacked out) or copy/pase the actual line items from the rental agreement and/or final bill for reference. Something isn't adding up here...
bruceba, trooper, Often1 and 2 others like this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
This is confusing because you state that, "I used a corporate code with CDW included (my reservation confirmation clearly listed CDW included)" -- but then you imply that National charged you extra for it. How could they charge extra to add on something that was already included? It would help if you could provide a screenshot (with any identifying information blacked out) or copy/pase the actual line items from the rental agreement and/or final bill for reference. Something isn't adding up here...
Need to hit the 5 post limit before I can upload pictures hang on
Old Jan 17, 2020, 6:18 pm
Suspended

More importantly, if this was a corporate code, presumably OP's employer, why not have them deal with it? The employer will have an elevated contact to sort any issue about OP being charged for something which is included.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by bitslizer
Tried searching the forum for similar issue but came up empty

TLDR; got cram with unasked for CDW @ FLL (paid with Chase Sapphire Reserve), customer service was no help, initiated partial chargeback, National threaten collection

Recently took a rental at FLL through Emerald Aisle (Nissan Rogue if that matter)

I used a corporate code with CDW included (my reservation confirmation clearly listed CDW included) but it is personal travel so I used my Chase Sapphire Reserve to pay for everything intending to use their Rental car insurance member benefit.

I did not ask for CDW at anypoint during the pickup/check out process at FLL

At the end of the trip, I returned the car, due to the confusing roads around FLL and lack of signage and traffic at the airport we returned the car later than planned and fast approaching our flight.

Upon drop off the attendant gave me a charge higher than my reservation, I disputed and he said I need to goto the service desk. I went and explain my situation, the rep made a copy of the print out that say unable to complete return and said I will get a email to do the dispute so I don't miss my flight.

Funny thing is AFTER i got on the rental car shuttle to the terminal, I got notice from Jet Blue that my flight back to ORD was delayed by 2 hours.

So a week later I finally got an email from National which is just the rental agreement, called National Corp customer service 2x to dispute and the said the FLL manager will call me back (never did, no voicemail and no national caller ID numbers)

I initiated a PARTIAL chargeback with Chase Sapphire customer services. National finally responded and wrote that any unreversed chargebackw ill be send to collection.

So what are my options and best course of action at this point. I don't want to let them get away with this scam, but a collection would be a PITA (never have a collection, FICO 800+)

Is there some high level national corp support I can get help from? If they send it to collection can I fight it in small claim court or something?

Thanks in advance
Not for nothing your post contains lots of "it's not my fault" issues; late returning due to "bad signage", etc.....

First and foremost you were given (or should have) a receipt at time of rental giving total charges including any add-ons like CDW. National also emails copy of this receipt to address on file as well. Before leaving counter or whatever you should have examined said receipt for unusual charges and questioned them at that time.

You say car was reserved using corporate code, but you were going to pay for it using personal credit card. Is that even allowed by your company? Seems to me mix up might come from your using corporate code (where CDW is included) but choosing to pay for rental with Chase Sapphire card.

For record nearly all CC car rental insurance is void if CDW is selected/taken at time of rental, this would probably include whatever arrangement your corporate code has with company since they (the company) is paying for CDW (if understand correctly).

Because you are only questioning CDW coverage charges after agreeing to pay (see above about rental receipt) National likely is right in saying your brining up the issue post return is a non-starter. Maybe if you had questioned CDW charges at time of rental and had CS rep make note in system that would have been different.

At time of rental you agree when you sign out vehicle you agree to pay *all* charges. Yes, there are things like incorrect return time, or maybe being charged for fuel when took refueling option, but those sort of things are more clear cut.

You want to be careful doing chargebacks with National/Enterprise. Even if you win (or not) can still lose as National may place your name on dreaded "do not rent list". It is not exactly clear how this occurs, and or by whose say so, but trust me you don't want it to happen.

Regarding chargeback process, yes; National responded likely with copy of receipt where you agreed to pay all charges. Corporate, customer service, chargeback department etc... likely won't be of much help; you need to speak with or otherwise deal with location in question to get them to remove CDW charges. Maybe someone mid-tier or higher CS manager or elsewhere *might* help, but again your best bet is to deal with location or even area manager. They can change a contract to issue credits/refunds for charges that shouldn't have occurred, and are always where one turns first.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Some corporate rate codes include LDW only if the rate code is used for company-business travel. Employees are still permitted to use the rate code for leisure travel, but LDW is not included on a leisure rental. I expect that when the OP made the reservation, he indicated that he was traveling on leisure (not company business), and thus planned to rely on his credit card for LDW coverage, rather than having to pay the rental company's daily fee.

Why the rental company tacked on the daily LDW fee to this (leisure) rental is the issue here.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 8:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
OP: Since this was an Emerald Aisle rental, presumably you are an Emerald Club member. What is in your Emerald Club profile as to whether you accept or decline LDW on your rentals?

Did you bypass the counter on this rental? If so, what paperwork did you have when you drove your selected vehicle off the lot? Did that paperwork show a charge for LDW?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 5:02 am

What's the amount of the charge you're disputing?
Old Jan 18, 2020, 6:39 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
To me this sounds like you were past your rental return time and they charged you for extra hours/day.

I don’t see where the CDW charge is coming into play? You’d need to post your final detailed invoice for anyone to help.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
OP: Since this was an Emerald Aisle rental, presumably you are an Emerald Club member. What is in your Emerald Club profile as to whether you accept or decline LDW on your rentals?

Did you bypass the counter on this rental? If so, what paperwork did you have when you drove your selected vehicle off the lot? Did that paperwork show a charge for LDW?
AFAIK, unlike Hertz, National does not explicitly ask you whether your traveling for business/leisure when booking online. The few corporate codes I am familiar with that does not include LDW for leisure rentals, has separate leisure/personal use codes from the business one. I assume for those that don't the rate stays the same, but you are aware that in case of a accident, the onus falls on you to pay for the damage.

I think you may have got it right. OP profile has LDW listed as accepted and he didn't realize it...or the booth agent may have inquired whether he wanted insurance (I was asked once a few years ago) and he wasn't paying attention and agreed. National doesn't just tack on LDW or anything for no reason. Their rates may be higher, but that's why I use them the most; they don't try to pull any underhanded moves like other rental companies.

Of course this is also assuming OP is entitled to the code he used. For National to add LDW...the corporate code had to have been removed from the reservation for some reason. Perhaps his company has a personal code, so the booth agent simply replaced the business one on the reservation. LDW might have stayed selected in the reservation.

Last edited by Yellowjj; Jan 18, 2020 at 9:09 am
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:58 am
Suspended

Bottom line, there is a lot of detail missing from OP and without that very specific detail, nobody here can provide useful advice other than to post a properly redacted accounting.
Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Sorry for the delay, attached were my rental agreement and reservation confirmation. (I needed 5 posts before I'm allowed to link images, but then there's also a 5 post daily limit, then I forgot to come back to post the next day till now)

As for other question, while my corp allow personal use of the code, they were explict that they do not provide support.

Old Jan 21, 2020, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976

This is my emerald club profile,

Yes, bypass counter, there was no paperwork in the car and i was not given any paperwork at the garage exit booth. See my other post for Reservation and Rental Agreement

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.