Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-base engine in Japanese cars?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2019, 9:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: WoH Globalist, Wait I have an Ambassador?, National Exe. Elite, AA Gold, UA Silver
Non-base engine in Japanese cars?

Has anybody seen any V6 Camry, 2.5T Mazda 6, 2.0T Altima, or any Japanese cars with the upgraded engine option? Does National even order them?
I remember seeing a couple V6 Altimas popping up every now and then, but I haven't seen any since the 2019 redesign.
Old Apr 3, 2019, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Reserve Premium and look for a Maxima. There's your V-6.
Old Apr 4, 2019, 1:57 pm

Why are you interested in "Japanese" cars specifically?
Old Apr 5, 2019, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: WoH Globalist, Wait I have an Ambassador?, National Exe. Elite, AA Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Reserve Premium and look for a Maxima. There's your V-6.
Have had Maxima before. Pretty much the only "practical" car I drive when I rent with National. But driving the same car over and over again gets a little old so I'm looking for some variety

Originally Posted by m907
Why are you interested in "Japanese" cars specifically?
Because they seem to have disappeared from the aisles and I am curious as to why?
Of the cars commonly found in EA/ES these days, Korean cars are dead to me, American cars have Camaro SS, Challenger R/T, and Charger R/T, Japanese cars, on the other hand, seem to only come with base engines
Old Apr 5, 2019, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Until about ten years ago U.S. rental fleets (at corporate locations, anyway) were nearly filled with 'program' cars: return them in 12-18 months with not more than xx,xxx miles for a guaranteed price. Now the rental companies need to buy outright a lot more vehicles. They pay attention to depreciation and remarketing opportunities. They buy what people want to buy used. That's 4-cylinder Camrys and Altimas, not V-6s. The fraction of V-6 Camrys sold by Toyota is low and has been falling. (The V-6 Altima was killed with the latest redesign.)

If you don't want Korean, don't want American faux-muscle V-6s, and don't want base engine Japanese, be prepared to spend a lot of money for German 4-cyl turbo.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by yeeeeperdiems
Because they seem to have disappeared from the aisles and I am curious as to why?
Of the cars commonly found in EA/ES these days, Korean cars are dead to me, American cars have Camaro SS, Challenger R/T, and Charger R/T, Japanese cars, on the other hand, seem to only come with base engines
Most of the "Japanese" and "Korean" cars are built in America - Altima, Camry, Maxima, Sonata, Optima, etc. are all made in the USA along with most Japanese-brand SUVs.

Meanwhile some "American" cars are made abroad - Fusion in Mexico, EcoSport in India, 300 and Challenger in Canada.
Old Apr 5, 2019, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
(...)They buy what people want to buy used (...)
I guess that answers that. Thanks!
Originally Posted by m907
Most of the "Japanese" and "Korean" cars are built in America - Altima, Camry, Maxima, Sonata, Optima, etc. are all made in the USA along with most Japanese-brand SUVs.

Meanwhile some "American" cars are made abroad - Fusion in Mexico, EcoSport in India, 300 and Challenger in Canada.
Dude, I think you are missing the point of my question. I don't really give two hoots about where the cars are made, or even the country of the origin of the manufactures. If you look at the first post, I listed Nissan, Mazda, and Toyota, all three of whom happened to be Japanese brands. I mentioned "any other Japanese cars" because I have seen a few Mitsubishi and Honda every once in a blue moon. Charger, Challenger, and Camaro happened to be made by Dodge and Chevy, which is why I lumped them into "American cars". The two brands I absolutely refuse to touch, KIA and Hyundai, happen to be Korean brands, thus "Korean cars"

I really don't know why you seem to be so obsessed with this whole "country" thing
Old Apr 5, 2019, 4:40 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
This is just my speculation since I don’t work in the rental car or automotive industry, but trim level distribution is likely dictated by the manufacturer. Higher trims = higher selling price and (likely) higher margin.

It’s a balance. In the past, manufacturers, particularly the domestics, would take those fleet sales because they were chasing unit sales. And if the fleet buyer wanted all base trims in white and silver? Sure. They were chasing units, not margin.

Now that some of them are focusing on profitability and actually celebrating fewer fleet sales, they may be telling the rental car fleet buyers — sure, we can provide 10,000 Fusions and here’s the mix you need to purchase: so many SE, so many Hybrid, so many Titanium, etc.
Old Apr 6, 2019, 1:40 am

Dude, I think you are missing the point of my question. I don't really give two hoots about where the cars are made, or even the country of the origin of the manufactures. If you look at the first post, I listed Nissan, Mazda, and Toyota, all three of whom happened to be Japanese brands. I mentioned "any other Japanese cars" because I have seen a few Mitsubishi and Honda every once in a blue moon. Charger, Challenger, and Camaro happened to be made by Dodge and Chevy, which is why I lumped them into "American cars". The two brands I absolutely refuse to touch, KIA and Hyundai, happen to be Korean brands, thus "Korean cars"

I really don't know why you seem to be so obsessed with this whole "country" thing
So why are you classifying them by country? Why do you care about V6 engines from Japanese companies only?
Old Apr 9, 2019, 6:35 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
I guess that answers that. Thanks!

Um, you're the one who specifically asked about Japanese cars...
m907 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.