Wiki Posts
Search

Fewer Free Day Codes

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT
Fewer Free Day Codes

I always used to be able to find a free day on a 3-5 night weekend rental or on a weekly rental, but it's been like pulling teeth trying to find any for the last couple months. I've found one working weekend coupon that still works despite technically being expired, but nothing weekly. Do these not typically overlap with 1/2/Free, or are there really just fewer codes floating around out there this year? Most everything I've found expired at the end of December or January and has not been renewed.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 12:38 pm
Company Representative - AutoSlash and HotelSlash

They've mostly switched over to offering $X off of a $Y base rate rental via this promotion. If you're a member of BJ's there are one or two weekly coupons. You can also use the link below and our system will search for the best deals. We're always updating and optimizing our list of coupons as they come and go fairly regularly.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by AutoSlash
They've mostly switched over to offering $X off of a $Y base rate rental via this promotion. If you're a member of BJ's there are one or two weekly coupons. You can also use the link below and our system will search for the best deals. We're always updating and optimizing our list of coupons as they come and go fairly regularly.
I use AS regularly, and that was actually what clued me in -- your list of National coupons is down to 3. Two annoying things about this promo: I'm booking all my travel for post-Feb, and the site has a pop-up asking me if I want to apply the promo to rentals that don't quality.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by linglingfool
I use AS regularly, and that was actually what clued me in -- your list of National coupons is down to 3. Two annoying things about this promo: I'm booking all my travel for post-Feb, and the site has a pop-up asking me if I want to apply the promo to rentals that don't quality.
Keep in mind that what we show on the coupons page on our website is only a small sample of the coupons and discount codes in our system.
linglingfool likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:13 pm

Just got an email for a free weekend day (3 day min), expiring 4/30.
AutoSlash and linglingfool like this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by klanfa
Just got an email for a free weekend day (3 day min), expiring 4/30.
We just posted this--details here.
linglingfool likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:04 pm

Careful about posting links to coupons on this sub. The mods do not like it.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by NCLSEA123
Careful about posting links to coupons on this sub. The mods do not like it.
Happy to remove if it runs afoul of some restrictions, but National emailed this out to anyone signed up for their mailing list so it's hardly a secret.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by AutoSlash
Happy to remove if it runs afoul of some restrictions, but National emailed this out to anyone signed up for their mailing list so it's hardly a secret.
Myself and maybe a few others were smacked on the wrist for posting links to the new year’s coupons for an affiliate retailer and a credit union, but the thread was deleted and PMs from the mod were sent. Obviously, if you’re halfway proficient with Google advanced search, you can find these, and we weren’t advocating using the discounts if you weren’t entitled to them, but yeah....
Old Feb 14, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
I think there is a difference in posting codes that are on National's site or emails and posting codes from other sources, such as the entertainment book.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:23 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Originally Posted by KevinMD
I think there is a difference in posting codes that are on National's site or emails and posting codes from other sources, such as the entertainment book.
Correct, this is exactly right. We have no issues with posting codes that are publicly posted by the company itself. What we cannot have due to past events is the posting of codes that are sent to members of a specific non-public group (such as Entertainment Book, credit union members, etc.)
Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by KevinMD
As an interesting side note, there are no Entertainment book coupons from National anymore, and there has been an overall decrease in the number of affiliate coupon codes in general this year. Hence, why someone else posted the [now deleted] thread asking about a free weekend day code from a large club retailer and why I posted another code from a credit union. My guess is that EHI wants to continue eliminating leisure rentals from National and drive them to Alamo and Enterprise instead. Rates on average at Alamo appear to be at least 20-30% lower than National and are often on par or a little lower than Enterprise.

There are still some valid free weekend day (etc) codes from affiliates many people are likely to be members of out there, but it appears National has ended the majority of discount relationships with affiliates they previously had coupons with.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 6:28 am

As an interesting side note, there are no Entertainment book coupons from National anymore, and there has been an overall decrease in the number of affiliate coupon codes in general this year. Hence, why someone else posted the [now deleted] thread asking about a free weekend day code from a large club retailer and why I posted another code from a credit union. My guess is that EHI wants to continue eliminating leisure rentals from National and drive them to Alamo and Enterprise instead. Rates on average at Alamo appear to be at least 20-30% lower than National and are often on par or a little lower than Enterprise.

There are still some valid free weekend day (etc) codes from affiliates many people are likely to be members of out there, but it appears National has ended the majority of discount relationships with affiliates they previously had coupons with.
You are right. There's another thing we've noticed as well. Enterprise used to routinely offer discount codes that gave between 10-20% off. They were often very targeted in terms of who they were sent to, but there were out there on a regular or at least semi-regular basis. We would often stumble over them, or our customers would let us know about them, or we would get emails ourselves about them from time-to-time.

In the last year or so, those have completely dried up. They all used to start with the letter 'E' so something like E10SAVE or E20DBGT. We haven't seen one of those in ages. For whatever reason, the EHI marketing department has decided they don't need to discount as much, or they've decided to just compete more on the regular rate and not leverage coupons and discount codes as much to attract business.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 6:02 am

But they did just make a mass market advertising push with the control enthusiast commercials, including one that explicitly focused on leisure rentals. Hard to tell what the strategy is.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by dwbf11
Correct, this is exactly right. We have no issues with posting codes that are publicly posted by the company itself. What we cannot have due to past events is the posting of codes that are sent to members of a specific non-public group (such as Entertainment Book, credit union members, etc.)
Indeed. Also - there is a distinction between what qualifies as a COUPON and what qualifies as a CONTRACT ID (what traditionally was referred to as a "code"). Obviously, one of those was a big posting no-no as well, lol.
Auto Enthusiast and dwbf11 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.