Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

luxury car with no options vs loaded cheap car

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2018, 9:57 am
Original Poster

I realized the Ford Edge Titanium had more features than the Infiniti QX60, which was a "luxury" car. Because it had blind spot monitoring, a better navigation system, etc.

I haven't had many luxury cars, but it seems they don't have many options added. But the cars in the Executive Aisle usually have lots of options, even if they are cheaper cars (e.g. Malibu, Impala).

Does National carry luxury cars with all the options, and it is just my bad luck?

Now I realize why someone said they liked the Ford Fusion Titanium, even though it isn't a "nice" car.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
The XT5 comes pretty loaded. National buys a pretty high trim.
The Q7 I had was also pretty highly equipped too. I saw another one at MHT and it had the same package.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:16 am

Probably depends on the car. But yes sometimes you will find a lower tier vehicle with more options than a mid tier luxury model.

In general I find that National buys mid to lower-mid level trim packages for their luxury cars. For example I've spent a great deal of time in a XTS, Escalade, and Navigator. The XTS are the "Luxury" package, not the "Platinum" trim. Escalades are also "Luxury" trim and not the "Platinum" trim. I think the XT5 is also a Luxury trim and not Platinum.

The couple of Lincoln Navigators I've had were the "Select" trim, a lower mid tier, and not the "Reserve" and not the "Black Label."

In general mid tier luxury cars should be comparable to a well-optioned non-luxury car but sometimes that may not be the case.

You'll probably never find a fully decked out luxury car in the generic rental fleets as those top trim levels (say Platinum for Cadillac or Black Label for Lincoln) include ultra-luxurious features (massaging seats, headrest-mounted in car entertainment, etc.) that I've yet to see in any rental car outside of specialty/exotic rental fleets.
m907 likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ginmqi
Probably depends on the car. But yes sometimes you will find a lower tier vehicle with more options than a mid tier luxury model.

In general I find that National buys mid to lower-mid level trim packages for their luxury cars. For example I've spent a great deal of time in a XTS, Escalade, and Navigator. The XTS are the "Luxury" package, not the "Platinum" trim. Escalades are also "Luxury" trim and not the "Platinum" trim. I think the XT5 is also a Luxury trim and not Platinum.

The couple of Lincoln Navigators I've had were the "Select" trim, a lower mid tier, and not the "Reserve" and not the "Black Label."

In general mid tier luxury cars should be comparable to a well-optioned non-luxury car but sometimes that may not be the case.

You'll probably never find a fully decked out luxury car in the generic rental fleets as those top trim levels (say Platinum for Cadillac or Black Label for Lincoln) include ultra-luxurious features (massaging seats, headrest-mounted in car entertainment, etc.) that I've yet to see in any rental car outside of specialty/exotic rental fleets.
Useful info.
It isn't obvious to me how to tell what trim a luxury car is, compared to a normal car, because it isn't obviously labelled in the back. I guess you have to know what to look for.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by s0ssos
Useful info.
It isn't obvious to me how to tell what trim a luxury car is, compared to a normal car, because it isn't obviously labelled in the back. I guess you have to know what to look for.
Haha, yeah. Lot of times it's not stamped and not as clear to know on the body of the car. If you'a real car nerd/geek like me, you can find a VIN decoder website for the manufacturer and type in the VIN for the car and websites will pull up the full spec for that exact vehicle and you can find the specific trim level that way.

You can also just go to the car manufacturer's website and look at the various trims of the car you're driving and usually you can tell what trim it is by that options it has vs doesn't have.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Lifetime Diamond; National Car Rental Executive Elite
I’m in the camp of preferring a loaded mid-level car to a bare-bones luxury car.

Ford Fusion Titanium vs. a 3 or 4 series? Give me the Ford every day. But, a 740i is preferable to just about anything.

Nothing offered by Infiniti is competitive to a nicely-equipped mid-market vehicle. I had a loaded XT5 last week out of CLT which was a pleasant surprise.

I actively avoid Audi Q3’s because of their small size and hard seats. An Edge Titanium, Acadia Denali, etc are all preferable.
Old Nov 6, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
I had a BMW 5-Series (on a Luxury reservation) a couple years ago that lacked smart-key entry or even a backup camera, both standard features on even a basic Altima S.

It’s actually kind of nice that you can get a well-equipped, higher-trim “mainstream” car in most rental fleets. I suspect it has more to do with manufacturers trying to boost average selling prices by forcing fleet buyers to purchase a mix of trims vs. all base models, rather than anything specific Enterprise/National is doing. The downside, of course, is that higher costs generally lead to higher prices.
Old Nov 11, 2018, 5:29 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
I was at SFO a couple of weeks ago and found the same thing. Used a free day so I could reserve Luxury car and the two BMW 3/4 series (whatever the sedan is these days) and the Audi they offered were very bare bones. I ended up with a Cadillac XTS which was very comfortable other than the prior renters having a penchant for cheap cigars and weed.

Im on a monthly rental with national due to the mileage I place on cars and am currently in a XT5 which seems about as good as it gets for something off the executive aisle, or even a luxury reservation. I used to enjoy Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 4wd (had one for 14 months before they made me bring it back) which seemed to have more than the standard Limited package options on it.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by bigshooter
Im on a monthly rental with national due to the mileage I place on cars and am currently in a XT5 which seems about as good as it gets for something off the executive aisle, or even a luxury reservation. I used to enjoy Jeep Grand Cherokee limited 4wd (had one for 14 months before they made me bring it back) which seemed to have more than the standard Limited package options on it.
Curious how you were able to keep a car for 14 months. Did you return to the airport monthly to start a new rental agreement and just kept the same car?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by m907
Curious how you were able to keep a car for 14 months. Did you return to the airport monthly to start a new rental agreement and just kept the same car?
I may be able to chime in. I'm also in a constant rental car since 08/2018 (edit: 08/2017) to now. My company's travel dept has it so that each month the contract renews and I basically can keep the car for as long as I want until they call me back in. Usually I swap out to try diff cars on the aisle so I rarely keep a car more than 3-4 weeks at a time.

I never had to return to the airport location, they just renew the paperwork on their end and I get a monthly email updating my EC rewards and whatnot.

I've had other co workers who do the same thing and sometimes they say if they keep a car for months at a time they may get a call to bring the car back in for maintenance
m907 likes this.

Last edited by ginmqi; Nov 12, 2018 at 8:00 pm
Old Nov 12, 2018, 6:27 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Originally Posted by ginmqi
I may be able to chime in. I'm also in a constant rental car since 08/2018 to now. My company's travel dept has it so that each month the contract renews and I basically can keep the car for as long as I want until they call me back in. Usually I swap out to try diff cars on the aisle so I rarely keep a car more than 3-4 weeks at a time.

I never had to return to the airport location, they just renew the paperwork on their end and I get a monthly email updating my EC rewards and whatnot.

I've had other co workers who do the same thing and sometimes they say if they keep a car for months at a time they may get a call to bring the car back in for maintenance
I actually set the rental up on my own so I can use my credit card for points (and corporate AMEX doesn't have LDW coverage baked in). I like to be covered by both National LDW/company umbrella policy, plus my own insurance and CC since I use it for personal purposes on the weekends. After the fact I also found that I couldn't book a rental in concur for more than 30 days so my way was the only way to keep from having to go back to the airport.

If National books your rental out far enough it will create a new agreement every 30 days. I had to jump through some hoops with the latest contract and rental location, but it's working great now.

If you keep the car long term you can also take it to a Firestone dealership for oil changes every 5-10k miles. They direct bill back to National.

I've only returned a vehicle that I wanted to keep twice... once was when they had a recall on them, and the other was when I thought the tires were a little balder than I liked. Otherwise it's if I get bored or don't feel like cleaning the car or taking it through a car wash.
ginmqi likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 8:06 pm

I mean to correct in saying I've been in a rental car since 08/2017 through my work. Probably will continue for the forseeable future 2-3 years.

But yeah definitely if you have one favorite vehicle, you can keep it for a looong time. Though if you are doing it personally you have to make sure the paperwork is all setup.

I never kept a single car long enough to get it serviced, but I have heard of people getting small items done and either reimbursed from it when they return, interesting to hear you can have it bill it back to national directly though.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 10:57 am

Based on my experience, I feel like the domestic branded rentals (in general) have more options than any class comparable import branded rental. Sometimes I avoid the Infinitis and Audis for this reason.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 10:15 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
I work in the automotive industry, so I typically know what to look for in terms of trims, or what features to look for if the trims aren’t labeled. As a general rule, the German luxury brands (Audi, BMW, Mercedes-Benz) tend to come pretty sparsely equipped. You’d be hard pressed to find them on dealer lots without popular options added on, but rental companies tend to order base models. (Sometimes the color can be an indicator, as flat black or white are often the only ones that don’t cost extra.)

I find the American and Korean brands are easiest to find in higher trims on the rental lots.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
For me. as long as it has car play I'm good. Not having to fiddle with phone mounts or dashboard GPSs for Navigation is a god send. For this reason I tend to pick GM products, although all new Nissan Rouges have it now as does many of the Hyundai/Kias.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.