Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2017 Infiniti QX30 Luxury AWD Ride Report

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2017, 8:06 am
Original Poster

2017 Infiniti QX30 Luxury AWD Ride Report

I found a 2017 Infiniti QX30 on the Executive Aisle a couple months ago. I forget the designation.

EPA: 21/30 for AWD

The exterior looks very good- it's what caught my eye in the first place. I think it looks better than the Mercedes GLA. Not sure why Infiniti still needs the QX50?

QX30 has a far better interior than the GLA, although the QX30 retains the seat controls of the GLA. Everything else is done in the usual Infiniti style. The display is a touchscreen. The shifter is tiny, but quite functional.

GOOD:

- Nicely weighted steering
- Great fuel economy
- Hatchback storage space
- Suspension seemed less harsh than the GLA's

BAD:

- Tight interior, not much headroom
- Visibility
- Noisy engine
- No HIDs on Luxury trim

Last edited by iluvdoco; May 11, 2017 at 2:22 pm
Old May 10, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: WoH Globalist, Wait I have an Ambassador?, National Exe. Elite, AA Gold, UA Silver
Man you beat me to it, and with way better photos to boot.

After driving a Q3 for almost a month, the QX30 was a god send for me.
Better in almost every way except the visibility department. Hope to snag another one at RDU next week!
Old May 10, 2017, 3:06 pm

I got a QX30 at ONT a month or two ago. I quite liked it, but haven't seen one there since.
Old May 11, 2017, 12:43 am

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by iluvdoco
I found a 2017 Infiniti QX30 on the Executive Aisle a couple months ago. I forget the designation.
Great photos -- for the designation, would you be able to check it on National's site in your rental history? I'll add it to the index thread. Thanks!
Old May 11, 2017, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by qs933
Great photos -- for the designation, would you be able to check it on National's site in your rental history? I'll add it to the index thread. Thanks!
I did. It just says midsize.
Old May 11, 2017, 8:56 am

Programs: UA Plat, National Exec Elite
Had one a few weeks ago, it was classified RFAR (standard elite suv)

Should really be classified as a compact, it's pretty snug inside. It's not really a suv as the seating position is not really upright. I think it's basically a nicer version of a lifted hatchback like the crosstrek.
Old May 11, 2017, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by xienon

Should really be classified as a compact, it's pretty snug inside. It's not really a suv as the seating position is not really upright. I think it's basically a nicer version of a lifted hatchback like the crosstrek.

I agree but it's being sold as a crossover
Old May 12, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
Originally Posted by xienon

Thanks. I'll add it to the index.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 5:44 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
I just returned one of these from a weekend rental.

Mine was a Luxury AWD example finished in Graphite Shadow over Graphite Nappa Leather. National did not tick any option boxes, for an as-tested price of $35,395.

If you're looking for a more involved driving experience, the Infiniti does offer one, especially compared with its less sporting sibling, the Mercedes GLA 250. Even with 6,000 hard rental miles, the car was rattle free and tracked straight. I was impressed by the four cylinder 2.0 liter powerplant which, much to my surprise, did not feel pokey or underpowered. Other posters complain about engine noise, but I’m not offended by a little bit of turbo “whoosh.” It also delivered a respectable 27 mpg overall, which for a heavy, AWD, and turbocharged car, is not bad (70/30 City/Highway, including bumper-to-bumper with A/C blasting). Braking was solid and handling on par with similar offerings from BMW and Audi. Suspension was on the firmer side but on base wheels with high profile tires, inoffensive on potholed roads (I did notice quite a bit of road noise from the Continental ProContact tires). Of course, styling is probably irrelevant to most renters but I find the Infiniti to be a very sharp crossover and stands out nicely. I did miss the Xenon headlights found on most other Infinitis in the fleet (Luxury trim has halogens only). Other standard features of note include power folding and auto-dimming outside mirrors, keyless entry, XM radio (not activated unless you pay for it), and a backup camera.

The interior was well appointed if unremarkable, and the material quality was excellent. The seats were very comfortable, including power driver lumbar (thanks Mercedes) and the leather felt to be of a good quality throughout, especially on the steering wheel (also a Mercedes part). Controls were solid and thoughtfully laid out (again, thanks Mercedes). I wasn’t particularly fond of the Infiniti InTouch user interface in this application; without navigation, the large (if sharp) screen had acres of unused and wasted space, but I have the same complaint about its use in the dual-screen setup as seen on the Q50 without navigation. Bluetooth pairing is still clunky and requires too many steps (I consider Chrysler UConnect and GM’s MyLink to be gold standards on this).

Rear passengers were cozy but not cramped. I wouldn’t suggest putting three full sized adults back there, but we had no passenger complaints.

Luggage space was perfectly fine for two adults, and the trunk easily swallowed two 22” upright rollerboards, two briefcases, two jackets, and a garment bag. The luggage cover fit in place even with the trunk fully packed.

Overall I'd recommend this as a rental.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.