Wiki Posts
Search

Advice for Boston?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:52 pm
gsb
Original Poster

Advice for Boston?

My wife and I will be heading to Boston in November and thought we might take a day trip to Newport, Rhode Island. My plan is to pick up the car in the morning and drop it off later that evening.

It appears National has three locations--one at BOS, one at Prudential Center, and one on Atlantic Ave. Our hotel is near Long Wharf and Faneuil Hall.

Any advice on what location might be preferable? I'm redeeming a free day if that matters. Thanks!
Old Oct 24, 2016, 4:28 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Pick the one at Prudential Center.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by gsb
My wife and I will be heading to Boston in November and thought we might take a day trip to Newport, Rhode Island. My plan is to pick up the car in the morning and drop it off later that evening.

It appears National has three locations--one at BOS, one at Prudential Center, and one on Atlantic Ave. Our hotel is near Long Wharf and Faneuil Hall.

Any advice on what location might be preferable? I'm redeeming a free day if that matters. Thanks!

Why not just bring it back the next day. You're paying for it anyways?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 9:15 pm
gsb
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Closingracer
Why not just bring it back the next day. You're paying for it anyways?
The fee for parking the car at the hotel is high. I figured I wouldn't need it the next morning so I would go ahead and turn it in. I think both in town locations offer an after hours return.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 12:02 am

Rental cars from BOS are always insanely expensive and, iirc, in order to exit the airport you have to pay a toll.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 9:12 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
The National location on Atlantic Ave. is about 3 blocks away from Long Wharf while the Prudential Center one is much farther than that. I'd choose that Atlantic Ave. one.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 8:23 am

Programs: TK *G, all statuses that come with Ritz, Amex Plat, Citi Prestige cards
Originally Posted by ENOTTY
Rental cars from BOS are always insanely expensive and, iirc, in order to exit the airport you have to pay a toll.
Agreed about the insanely expensive part, but it's still possible to avoid the all-electronic tolling by going northbound on surface streets toward Revere Beach Parkway/MA-16 and returning to Boston via I-93. It's far from the most direct way to go, but may be worthwhile to avoid paying an arm and a leg for the use of a transponder.

I've had good experiences with the National location at Prudential Center. They do allow early returns.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 9:45 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
The National location on Atlantic Ave. is about 3 blocks away from Long Wharf while the Prudential Center one is much farther than that. I'd choose that Atlantic Ave. one.
Seconded. The Atlantic Ave location is in the parking garage adjacent to the Aquarium -- walking distance to your hotel -- and I've always had good experiences with the staff there. Plus you save at least one tax by renting off the Airport property, IIRC.
Old Nov 19, 2016, 6:11 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz President
Originally Posted by dtremit
Seconded. The Atlantic Ave location is in the parking garage adjacent to the Aquarium -- walking distance to your hotel -- and I've always had good experiences with the staff there. Plus you save at least one tax by renting off the Airport property, IIRC.
and you will be a straight shot on the Blue Line to the airport!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.