Wiki Posts
Search

Confusion re: use of free days

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2016, 6:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond
Confusion re: use of free days

I had 4 free days built up , and 3 days I carried over from last year. I was irritated to discover I can not use both in the same reservation, I have to use them for 2 separate trips. Its not the end of the world, but I think its just a ridiculous rule and sadly, I will probably end up just losing those 3 days as I am only going away once where I need a car. I suppose its just a way to get you to spend more money with national, but I feel like I worked hard and specifically rented only from national to get these days and its wrong to limit their use.
vent over
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
If you are talking about standard Emerald Club free days, you can in fact combine them, but you may have to call reservations to do it; this is yet another way the website is broken. From the terms and conditions:

Free Days are combinable up to seven (7) consecutive days maximum on one rental. Members may redeem Free Days for periods of no longer than seven (7) Free Days per rental transaction.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:04 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Retitled this thread for you to try and get more productive responses.

dwbf11
National Mod
Old Sep 6, 2016, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dtremit
If you are talking about standard Emerald Club free days, you can in fact combine them, but you may have to call reservations to do it; this is yet another way the website is broken. From the terms and conditions:

nope, when i called yesterday and spoke to 2 different people and they both said I had to use them on different reservations--
i think the difference is 3 of the days were days I had carried over from the year before----
I can call them again but they said this was the rule. I think it stinks personally--thank you for your answer !!
Old Sep 6, 2016, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

OMG!! LOL on hold for 45 minutes with a supervisor--he says alpha numeric coupon codes may not be combined with free day coupons. he agrees that its a terrible policy but you cannot combine them. he said " well you turned those days into alpha numeric coupons" and I said yes, because national told me they would expire if i didnt. they are all free days and I should be able to use them but I cant. and now they will expire because i have no reason or need to use a rental for 3 days. grrrr.
Old Sep 6, 2016, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by nlkm9
OMG!! LOL on hold for 45 minutes with a supervisor--he says alpha numeric coupon codes may not be combined with free day coupons. he agrees that its a terrible policy but you cannot combine them. he said " well you turned those days into alpha numeric coupons" and I said yes, because national told me they would expire if i didnt. they are all free days and I should be able to use them but I cant. and now they will expire because i have no reason or need to use a rental for 3 days. grrrr.

For some reason National treats coupons with alpha numeric numbers (such as OTF days) differently than say regular EC free days merely awarded for racking up points. This is from my own personal observations and frustration when attempting to combine OTF days with anything else.

Can you break down your next reservation into two parts? Use the "coupon" free days for the first part, take the vehicle back, close out that reservation, then rent same again (or something else) with a new reservation using the other free days.

Failing this find out if National will allow the remaining three free days to be attached to a future reservation *and* not expire. Make a reservation and if you need to modify again make sure you won't lose the days.
Old Sep 7, 2016, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BugsyPal
For some reason National treats coupons with alpha numeric numbers (such as OTF days) differently than say regular EC free days merely awarded for racking up points. This is from my own personal observations and frustration when attempting to combine OTF days with anything else.

Can you break down your next reservation into two parts? Use the "coupon" free days for the first part, take the vehicle back, close out that reservation, then rent same again (or something else) with a new reservation using the other free days.

Failing this find out if National will allow the remaining three free days to be attached to a future reservation *and* not expire. Make a reservation and if you need to modify again make sure you won't lose the days.
nope he said if I wanted to make 2 separate reservations and come back to the airport in the middle of the trip and switch cars....nope not doing it its just ridiculous, and I know the rest of the family wont want to deal with it. there was no other work around and I am just done with it. oh well. thanks for the suggestions tho
Old Sep 8, 2016, 7:11 am

You don't necessarily need to go back to the same station in the middle of the trip. Can you do 2 back to back one-ways, involving a facility near where you plan to be in the middle of the trip?
Old Sep 8, 2016, 9:11 am

nope he said if I wanted to make 2 separate reservations and come back to the airport in the middle of the trip and switch cars....nope not doing it its just ridiculous, and I know the rest of the family wont want to deal with it. there was no other work around and I am just done with it. oh well. thanks for the suggestions tho
As other poster suggested, you don't have to return to same location.

Use first block of free days for a one way reservation from airport. Then make a second reservation with the second block (dropping off either at same location or another one way), with the other free days.

Since cannot use OTF days in Manhattan, NYC this is how I would do things.

Book trip Manhattan to Atlanta using OTF days (one way). Drop off vehicle in Atlanta and pick-up another (or keep) and use EC free credit days for another reservation that includes returning vehicle back to Atlanta (if flying home), or NYC (driving).
Old Sep 9, 2016, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Smile

I appreciate the suggestions....I think it shouldnt be this much trouble to do this. I went out of my way to book only national and I think this is something a supervisor should be able to overide..I ended up gifting my remaining days and am using the 4 days for my vacation and paying for one day.....
thank you all
Old Sep 9, 2016, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BugsyPal
As other poster suggested, you don't have to return to same location.

Use first block of free days for a one way reservation from airport. Then make a second reservation with the second block (dropping off either at same location or another one way), with the other free days.

Since cannot use OTF days in Manhattan, NYC this is how I would do things.

Book trip Manhattan to Atlanta using OTF days (one way). Drop off vehicle in Atlanta and pick-up another (or keep) and use EC free credit days for another reservation that includes returning vehicle back to Atlanta (if flying home), or NYC (driving).
i only have these plans in sarasota. again, shouldnt have to jump thru hoops to use free days I worked so hard for. in my current job I drive rather than fly, so I will rarely be renting cars anymore--if I did I would go elsewhere as this has been an aggravating experience.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 6:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Auto Enthusiast
You don't necessarily need to go back to the same station in the middle of the trip. Can you do 2 back to back one-ways, involving a facility near where you plan to be in the middle of the trip?
what do you mean 2 back to backs? doesnt that involve returning a car at some point to get the other?
Old Sep 10, 2016, 6:47 am

Programs: DL Plat, PC Spire, Amex Reserve, Hilton Gold
Happened to me too. Terrible policy.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 8:17 am

what do you mean 2 back to backs? doesnt that involve returning a car at some point to get the other?
Yes. Let's say I have 14 free days, and want to do a 2 week cross country one-way. National allows 7 consecutive free days per reservation. I could do a one-way from one coast to the Midwest, close the contract, and open a new contract to continue to the other coast. This is probably easier stopping at a small counter only facility, and they may let you keep the same car, as long as there are no maintenance thresholds crossed.
Old Sep 10, 2016, 3:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steven NH/BOS
Happened to me too. Terrible policy.

well, it was a good run, but if I start renting cars, i'll start with someone else. oh well

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.