Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cars at CAE

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:44 am
Original Poster

Cars at CAE

Heading into Columbia, SC mid-September for parent's weekend at USC. Booked a premium, but have been reading posts in other locations saying that premium's seem uninspiring. Wondering if I should just book EA instead? Anyone familiar with quality of premium fleet there?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 4:55 pm

What's the price difference? Are you regular Emerald or Exec?

I've only reserved premium once with National, and was pretty much given my choice of anything I wanted (non-aisle location). Every other time I've made a reservation it's been for a midsize, including at the aforementioned location, and I've never ever driven anything less than a fullsize.

Short list, all on midsize reservations as standard Emerald:

2015 GMC Yukon SLT, ~12k miles
2014 Taurus Limited, ~16k miles
2015 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible V6
2015 Cadillac CTS 3.6
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew 5.7 4x4
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT, new body style

If CAE is an aisle location, and there's a significant ($20+/day) price difference, then book midsize. Also, remember than if you book a premium and don't like the selection in the premium section, you can choose from the aisle and request that the booth agent/counter agent lower your rate to the midsize price.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 4:12 pm

Is it aisle now? Columbia is my hometown and I went to USC, but flying in there is such a pain and so expensive that I normally drive from CHS or CLT. The airport is great and a breeze to get through, it's just all the connecting from the west coast. Last time I was there, no aisle. I always seem to get the same agent there and she's nice as can be and lets me pick just about anything I want, but nothing has ever been very exciting.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alec_b
What's the price difference? Are you regular Emerald or Exec?

I've only reserved premium once with National, and was pretty much given my choice of anything I wanted (non-aisle location). Every other time I've made a reservation it's been for a midsize, including at the aforementioned location, and I've never ever driven anything less than a fullsize.

Short list, all on midsize reservations as standard Emerald:

2015 GMC Yukon SLT, ~12k miles
2014 Taurus Limited, ~16k miles
2015 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible V6
2015 Cadillac CTS 3.6
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew 5.7 4x4
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT, new body style

If CAE is an aisle location, and there's a significant ($20+/day) price difference, then book midsize. Also, remember than if you book a premium and don't like the selection in the premium section, you can choose from the aisle and request that the booth agent/counter agent lower your rate to the midsize price.
I'm just a regular 'ol Emerald. Cost is decent as I use my employer contract number. Is the listing above from CAE specifically? I may take your advice and choose lower if nothing catches my eye. thank you!
Old Jul 20, 2016, 12:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MissJ
Is it aisle now? Columbia is my hometown and I went to USC, but flying in there is such a pain and so expensive that I normally drive from CHS or CLT. The airport is great and a breeze to get through, it's just all the connecting from the west coast. Last time I was there, no aisle. I always seem to get the same agent there and she's nice as can be and lets me pick just about anything I want, but nothing has ever been very exciting.
How do I know if it's aisle or not?
My reservation says this, so I'm not certain:

Upon arrival, please proceed to the area of the car class reserved to choose your vehicle.
Directions to our location: • Proceed to the Emerald Club counter to obtain your rental agreement and vehicle keys.

It is more expensive to get into CAE. When we flew down for orientation this summer, we went into CLT and drove, but I wanted to try CAE and see how easy it is to get in and out, in case I need to get him home quickly. Based on your response, I'm guessing I don't need to get there 2 hours before my departing flight?
Old Jul 20, 2016, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by sjazz23

Upon arrival, please proceed to the area of the car class reserved to choose your vehicle.
Directions to our location: • Proceed to the Emerald Club counter to obtain your rental agreement and vehicle keys.
I believe it's worded as such due to the fact that you reserved a premium, so you will be able to take from the designated "premium" section (assuming it's even in use). If you had a midsize reservation it would say something to the tune of "Upon arrival, proceed to the Emerald Aisle and choose your vehicle" etc.

To answer your previous question: that was just a list of upgrades that I've gotten. Those were divided between MSP and GEG over the course of a couple years. I don't rent frequently, but National has been dynamite on the upgrades for me.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 5:00 pm

It is more expensive to get into CAE. When we flew down for orientation this summer, we went into CLT and drove, but I wanted to try CAE and see how easy it is to get in and out, in case I need to get him home quickly. Based on your response, I'm guessing I don't need to get there 2 hours before my departing flight?
It almost sounds like they are saying to go out, choose a car, and then come back in. That wouldn't be efficient though. You'll obviously get to the counter before the parking lot. Do take a look at the pretty fish on the way out to the lot though. I always take a minute to watch them swim around the walkways.

I've always had to go to the counter in the past. They let me choose, but it's at the counter, not grab and go. I don't have any flights scheduled there soon, I was just home like 2 weeks ago and flew into CLT.

CAE is a breeze to get in and out of. You're limited by flight times since it's not super busy, but it's very easy to actually fly in and out of.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 4:59 pm

I was in Columbia 2 weeks ago. The rental counters are at the base of the escalators, surrounding the baggage claim area. I am Executive Elite, so didn't need to stop at the counter. They do have an Emerald Aisle and an Executive Aisle, but I apparently got there right after a rush, and the garage was literally *empty*. Nothing. Luckily, as I was standing in the vastness - trying to figure out what I was going to do, the manager happened to walk in. Long story short, I drove out in a Nissan 370Z.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I was in Columbia 2 weeks ago. The rental counters are at the base of the escalators, surrounding the baggage claim area. I am Executive Elite, so didn't need to stop at the counter. They do have an Emerald Aisle and an Executive Aisle, but I apparently got there right after a rush, and the garage was literally *empty*. Nothing. Luckily, as I was standing in the vastness - trying to figure out what I was going to do, the manager happened to walk in. Long story short, I drove out in a Nissan 370Z.
Wow....sweeeeeeeeet!
Old Aug 16, 2016, 9:06 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Thumbs up

CAE does indeed now have an Executive Aisle! Discovered this a couple months ago and was very happy with the upgrade.

In May I needed a larger vehicle and the guy working the aisle pointed me to a pick-up. The truck wasn't parked in the aisle, but over in the corner and he told me to just consider it as being on the Aisle.

As a report of recent cars available, I just completed a weekend rental and they had the usual Hyundai SUVs, a couple of Chrysler 400's and assorted minivans. Peeking out from the line of cars I spotted a Volvo T60 T5. (Little station wagon)

I went with the Volvo. Made for a great road trip to Auburn!

Originally Posted by MissJ
Old Sep 13, 2016, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Anyone been into CAE lately? I'm heading down Thursday morning and will update what I see. Thanks.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:34 am
Original Poster

Anyone been into CAE lately? I'm heading down Thursday morning and will update what I see. Thanks.
Arrived 9/15 about noon.
National was E-M-P-T-Y!
There was:
1 Toyota Camry (I believe - it was down towards the far wall)
1 Infiniti QX70
1 Ford Expedition

I took the Infiniti for $54/day. Only complaints were the color was weird. Thought it was black, but when the sun hit it, it turns that purpley-red. Weird. Also, my daughter said the back seats were very uncomfortable. Other than that, it served its purpose.

Returned it Sunday 9/18, about 1pm. Lot was loaded. Mix of everything. CTS, Impala, mini-vans all over, etc.
Old Jan 2, 2017, 1:03 pm

So far, so good for me and the new aisle setup at CAE. We got a Nissan 370Z there last week.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Needed a 4 day rental, booked it using cash and a one free day coupon.

Walked out to the Exec Aisle and it was loaded with Suburbans and other high end vehicles.

As I thought about my options I glanced over at the Emerald Aisle and a white BMW X3 beckoned me. 13 miles on the odometer.

As I checked out I told the agent I was shocked to see a Bimmer in the Emerald Aisle, she told me they recieved a lot of BMWs this week.

On my ride home it dawned on me that this is the weekend before the Masters, and a lot of people fly into CAE, so they loaded up on higher end vehicles.

Oh well, I will be drive this baby about 900 miles before I turn it back in. Should be the best $176 I ever spent on a rental.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Gamecock
Needed a 4 day rental, booked it using cash and a one free day coupon.

Walked out to the Exec Aisle and it was loaded with Suburbans and other high end vehicles.

As I thought about my options I glanced over at the Emerald Aisle and a white BMW X3 beckoned me. 13 miles on the odometer.

As I checked out I told the agent I was shocked to see a Bimmer in the Emerald Aisle, she told me they recieved a lot of BMWs this week.

On my ride home it dawned on me that this is the weekend before the Masters, and a lot of people fly into CAE, so they loaded up on higher end vehicles.

Oh well, I will be drive this baby about 900 miles before I turn it back in. Should be the best $176 I ever spent on a rental.

There is a promotion going on where they are putting them on the aisle until the end of May

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.