Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

I'm EE: told I dont get an upgrade when reserving CCAR

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA-Gold 0.425MM), AS MVP Gold, National EE, Marriott Titanium (LT-G), UA Silver

Internal regs at work say I have to use a CCAR whenever possible. I recently became EE and wanted to verify that I could take an ICAR with a CCAR res. I asked to counter agent this question who said "absolutely not; you need a midsize res to get an upgrade." I replied "National advertizes a 1-class upgrade for EE." Her reply: "only midsize or above." I know this is false, but went out to EA anyway. The ICAR selection stunk, so I picked a Sonic LTZ.

When I returned the car and got my receipt, I saw that the class billed and driven were both CCAR. Shouldn't it have been ECAR? Not that it matters at this point, but for future reference, shouldn't I get to take an ICAR with a CCAR res as an EE? or am I imagining benefits?

Thanks.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by PaceLaw2012
Internal regs at work say I have to use a CCAR whenever possible. I recently became EE and wanted to verify that I could take an ICAR with a CCAR res. I asked to counter agent this question who said "absolutely not; you need a midsize res to get an upgrade." I replied "National advertizes a 1-class upgrade for EE." Her reply: "only midsize or above." I know this is false, but went out to EA anyway. The ICAR selection stunk, so I picked a Sonic LTZ.

When I returned the car and got my receipt, I saw that the class billed and driven were both CCAR. Shouldn't it have been ECAR? Not that it matters at this point, but for future reference, shouldn't I get to take an ICAR with a CCAR res as an EE? or am I imagining benefits?

Thanks.
Unless one is mistaken most everything associated with National Emerald Club including *Executive* requires a reservation for ICAR or above for an upgrade.

National clearly states on their EE page you are guaranteed an upgrade *if* you reserve at mid-size rate: https://www.nationalcar.com/en_US/ca.../benefits.html

IIRC the Sonic is a small/CCAR so your receipt balances out.

While it is not unheard of for National to give upgrades from CCAR to ICAR or even above much depends upon circumstances on the ground. If inventory is tight and or manager feels generous then you can have and or are often offered pick of the litter. But that is a manager or rep using their discretion rather than any sort of established benefit.

Have gone out to National at LGA and have the manager tell me to take "anything I wanted" except from the Premium section; this was on a CCAR reservation.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by PaceLaw2012

Thanks.
You are imaging benefits instead of reading the T&Cs.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Here's a breakdown for Executives:

Book Compact = Pay Compact = Choose from Compacts in Emerald Reserve
Book Midsize = Pay Midsize = Choose from Executive Selection
Book Fullsize = Pay Midsize = Choose from Executive Selection
Book Premium = Pay Fullsize = Choose from Premiums in ER
Book Luxury = Pay Premium = Choose from Luxury in ER

So the agent was right, you only get the benefit of the upgrade by booking at least a Midsize, which allows you access to the Executive Selection aisle which features, at a minimum, Fullsize class cars. So even if you booked Fullsize, you get at least that class from the Aisle, but you pay the Midsize rate. And then up to Premium and Luxury you're always paying for one class less on that hierarchy.

That being said, apparently corporate locations get internally "penalized" if they fail to upgrade an Executive Emerald Club member or give them a newer vehicle. I've often picked a midsize or standard size car on my Aisle reservation and found I'm charged for a Compact on return. It really depends on the agent you get I suppose. I would just introduce yourself to the aisle greeter and explain that you're an Executive member with a CCAR booking and see where they direct you.

Also for the record the Sonic is classed as a CCAR, as the smaller Chevy Spark is the ECAR of record with National from GM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.