Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Issue getting different car in same class?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Issue getting different car in same class?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2015, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, National
Angry Issue getting different car in same class?

I've been having somewhat of an ongoing issue with my local airport National location. I'm EE and I book a premium car. I go in for them to tell me they only have a Chevy Impala available. I understand this car is in the premium class, but I'm not comfortable driving this car and have told them this mutiple times. So I ask for a different car and get the constant run around of why they don't have a different car available:

1. We don't have any (despite going to the lot ahead of time or even after and seeing mutiple of the same car I want/request in the same class).

2. It's having maintenance done to it. Ok fair enough, but the same cars, every week (I can tell from the license plate and/or existing damage to the car)? Yet the car they seem to give me often is never out for maintenance.

3. It's reserved for an Enterprise Customer. I don't rent at Enterprise very much, but from both their website and calling in and asking, I was told they don't offer a specific car, just a class and then picking from what's available (same as National). If someone else who rents with Enterprise can let me know if this is somthing they do, I'd appericate it.

4. I don't have the keys. Ok, sometimes there is a delay in getting the keys back to the counter from having it cleaned/serviced. But again, this is an everytime execuse.

5. We have upgraded you to a mini van. I don't want a van or huge SUV, as they become difficult to park in large metro area's and some parking garages don't accept them due to height restrictions.

Today, I got all of these except the "reserved for Enterprise customer". One after another.

I'm not trying to be difficult or even looking for an upgrade. All I'm asking for is a car in the same class as I booked. I understand it's not what they pre-assigned to me, but I'd say 9/10 counter service locations are willing to change out for somthing they have (most I go to don't even assign until they ask you).

Any insight here?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
What make and model cars are you asking for as an alternative to the (pre-assigned) Impala?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Chrysler 300. Much more room in the car for me as a taller and bigger guy.

Also to note this is the same car that National gives as the example of the type of car in this calss.

Last edited by hairyleathercub; Nov 29, 2015 at 10:08 am Reason: example of car
Old Nov 29, 2015, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Have you talked with the manager of the local office?
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Easy choice of vehicle is a benefit of Emerald Aisle locations - long a point of differentiation from Avis and Hertz, although that difference has diminished in recent years.

There is some further price segmentation within Premium, PXAR vs. PCAR. Others have reported the 300C as a PXAR. EE status ought to overcome that point of resistance, IMHO.

At Emerald Reserve locations I am not at all reluctant to scope the lot and ask for something specific from the reserved car class (or lower). Generally that is met with quick agreement, but not always. I haven't experienced the drawn-out refusals as the OP describes but I don't usually give the location a second chance to disappoint: I'll rent from a different firm or location next time, and suggest that's what the OP should be doing.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:51 pm
Original Poster

Yes I have asked to speak with the manager several times. I've either been given their business card and more or less said see ya later or said they will have one call and never get a response. I called the emerald club line today and filed a complaint with the area manager, maybe they can help.

I'd love to go to a location with a higher level of service (aisle), but this is all I have in the area other than enterprise.

Anyone know about Enterprise renters elite or otherwise being able to call in and rent specific makes/models of cars? I looked this up online and called, didn't see anything online and calling they said no.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 12:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by hairyleathercub
Yes I have asked to speak with the manager several times. I've either been given their business card and more or less said see ya later or said they will have one call and never get a response. I called the emerald club line today and filed a complaint with the area manager, maybe they can help.

I'd love to go to a location with a higher level of service (aisle), but this is all I have in the area other than enterprise.

Anyone know about Enterprise renters elite or otherwise being able to call in and rent specific makes/models of cars? I looked this up online and called, didn't see anything online and calling they said no.
This sounds like a problematic location...can you post which one it is?

If you go to Enterprise, it will totally depend on the manager...once you rent there often enough and develop a rapport with the staff, it will be much easier depending on their 'tude, and of course the inventory they have on hand.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

At this point sure. MLI - Quad Cities Airport. Same inventory is shared with Enterprise at this location and I'm not 100% sure but I think they have the same manager (who appears to never be on duty, weekday, weekends, days or nights.

But again nothing official with Enterprise on specific cars? I guess one can say that all locations will possibly get to know you more and assign based on preference. The way the people put it to me at the counter, it's like this is an established benefit for Enterprise (at least at this location).
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:05 pm

National is famous for doing this; it is either feast or famine with their inventory. More so around any major holiday and or peak travel time.

Reserved a ICAR for Thanksgiving but when arrived was given a Chrysler 2000. Begged and pleaded for anything else but counter rep stood their ground saying "that was all we have".

Have always found best selection with consistent results in getting something *you* want is to use EA service. But around here that is only found at airports so there you are.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 2:50 pm

Programs: DL PM 0.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Gold, SPG Plat, Marriott Gold, Avis PC, National EE, Hertz PC
Enterprise does not allow booking on specific car models. However, if there is an Enterprise reservation, the branches (local or airport) will often pull cars from National or Alamo if nothing is available. Enterprise will pull whatever is available, and there is no difference between PXAR and PCAR to Enterprise.

Requesting the 300 makes your booking even more difficult IMO because there are just less 300s compared to Impalas at least in my experience. Car models are not guaranteed.

The only recommendation I can make is to try to come back later and see if they have another PCAR to switch into. As far as service, you might the same experience if you book with Enterprise. Swap-outs are much more difficult with Enterprise though.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by kxc262
Enterprise does not allow booking on specific car models. However, if there is an Enterprise reservation, the branches (local or airport) will often pull cars from National or Alamo if nothing is available. Enterprise will pull whatever is available, and there is no difference between PXAR and PCAR to Enterprise.

Requesting the 300 makes your booking even more difficult IMO because there are just less 300s compared to Impalas at least in my experience. Car models are not guaranteed.

The only recommendation I can make is to try to come back later and see if they have another PCAR to switch into. As far as service, you might the same experience if you book with Enterprise. Swap-outs are much more difficult with Enterprise though.
One major holiday a few years ago when the local National was strapped for vehicles they pulled several from Enterprise in same area. It always struck me that Hertz and even Enterprise would have vehicles to spare say on Christmas or Thanksgiving while National struggled to meet demand.

From my limited more recent experience with Enterprise they are far more based upon price and as such don't give out upgrades or whatever easily.

If you say reserve an economy or mid-size with Enterprise don't be looking for any major upgrades even if selection is limited. More so if you have a "good" rate from say a coupon or whatever Emerald Club or no. While National will happily give you a SUV, full size or even a minivan on an economy or standard reservation if that is all they have for the same rate, Enterprise doesn't want to give up anything.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: National Exec, HA Pualani Gold
I'm a little more willing to cut National some slack on car availability. I'm sure it's much more difficult to manage inventory overall and between classes if what people are driving varies significantly from what they've reserved. For example, every time I've driven a premium on a full-size reservation, that's one less vehicle for the next renter, who may actually have a premium reservation, to choose from.

A couple rentals ago at a non-aisle location, I was offered a Honda Accord LX or Subaru Legacy on my Premium reservation. I was disappointed, but I think that comes with the territory with the flexibility that National offers.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by qs933
I'm a little more willing to cut National some slack on car availability. I'm sure it's much more difficult to manage inventory overall and between classes if what people are driving varies significantly from what they've reserved. For example, every time I've driven a premium on a full-size reservation, that's one less vehicle for the next renter, who may actually have a premium reservation, to choose from.

A couple rentals ago at a non-aisle location, I was offered a Honda Accord LX or Subaru Legacy on my Premium reservation. I was disappointed, but I think that comes with the territory with the flexibility that National offers.
Am not so much worried for National's other renters having one less "right" class vehicle to rent. National for years has had fleet problems which in turn feeds having to give *upgrades*. These often are nothing more than National honoring their promise to give any renter with a confirmed reservation *something*.

Case in point at least here in NYC gas prices heavily influence what persons rent. When it was up around or near $5/gal people reserved and wanted ECAR or CCAR. What did National have? Mostly ICAR, SCAR along with SUV's and minivans.

Most frequent renters from National/Alamo have long figured out they can reserve an econobox but likely will be given ICAR or above because of inventory issues.

National for years also had problems with locations counting expectant returns to fulfill booked rentals for the day. Well problem was many renters figured out they could keep their vehicle one, two or more days longer than booked not only for the same rate but otherwise suffer no other problems. For those who were credit card challenged and didn't want to put huge holds on their cards this worked out to having amounts equaling one day but keeping the car for much longer.

Meanwhile back at the ranch National locations now have to find a way to make up for the returns that didn't happen.
Old Nov 29, 2015, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

All,

Just so I'm clear. I'm not looking for an upgrade at all. What
I'm looking for is the same car class as booked (and on the lot, as verified prior to picking up). But I'm denied this every rental. I go to the lot prior to picking up the car, see whats available, and then go from there. I almost always see a Cryslyer 300 on the lot (had up to 4 on the lot at the same time). But I'm denided them as an option. I book a premium, why can't I get the same car class? I understand that the car has to be serviced and such, but 9/10 times? Come on..... This location has lost my trust and now I'm in a place where I can't trust a thing they say.

Imagine you flew an airline, xyz air. You picked a seat by the window with no additional cost to sit in the aisle. But the same location refuses to rent that location out all the time. Would you not get suspicious after the second or third time?
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:17 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
The only thing it doesn't sound like you've done is contacted the location before one of your rentals. I'd track down that manager, give them a call a day or three before your next rental, and ask them to please set aside something other than an Impala for you. Shouldn't be rocket science.

If not, go elsewhere. There are a few locations where I won't rent from National; this might be one for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.