Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Email: SiriusXM for a Fee

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2015, 1:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by cestmoi123
As an FYI, dealing with the antenna every time you rent a car is a bit of a hassle (need to run the wire out a window and mount it on the roof or trunk, and then pack it up again at the end.
I thought this unit was self contained - I didn't see a separate external antenna in the package.
Old Aug 28, 2015, 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Teasip82
Has anyone actually been offered the XM service at checkout? I have a car for a week around the Labor Day weekend, would like to know if the service is even available.
Today pick up at LAX got a SUV with active Sirusxm. At check out nothing was offer about xm
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:40 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by bocastephen
I thought this unit was self contained - I didn't see a separate external antenna in the package.
Click over to the "Specs" tab:

Vehicle Antenna
Type: XM Magnetic Mount
Connector: SMB female, right angle
Cable Length: 11.5 ft (3.5 m)
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:27 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by bocastephen
There needs to be one. Satellite radio signals won't reliably (if ever) penetrate the car's roof.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 4:50 pm

Programs: Costco Club
If you have a SiriusXM subscription already, is it possible to use their app to stream it through the car's bluetooth?
Old Aug 31, 2015, 8:58 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
A simple solution for SiriusXM and the rental companies.. sell prepaid cards.. 1 day, 3 days, 1 week, etc. Scratch the PIN, go to web page (or call 1-800 number), enter PIN and radio ID.. activated!

Ron.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 5:49 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Jet Blue Mosiac, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Didn't want to create a new thread on this but just picked up a car at LAX yesterday and it was on channel 1. Hoping it was working, I turned the channel knob and had music.

Then I find out they are doing a free listening through 9/8

http://www.siriusxm.com/listenfreelp...LPreHPTakeover

-A
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by StevenSeagalFan
If you have a SiriusXM subscription already, is it possible to use their app to stream it through the car's bluetooth?
Certainly.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Picked up a 2016 Fusion Titanium with <30 miles on it. SXM working, but that may just be due to the free trial this week.

More curious - The keytag has an "SXM" notation on it, so it reads:
"2016 FORD FUSI TTN FCAR SXM"

And, at the top left of the back window there was a white "SiriusXM" sticker. Not huge, but certainly noticeable from a distance if you're looking for it.

I don't think I've ever noticed either of these before on any National cars. I'm quite certain the sticker has not been on other 2016 vehicles I've gotten with SXM (working or not), though this was the first time I'd rented in a couple weeks.

Side note: No nav in this car. Not even just a missing maps SD card...appears to be no nav at all.
Old Sep 2, 2015, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
Side note: No nav in this car. Not even just a missing maps SD card...appears to be no nav at all.
I know other people have had ones that had it, but I have yet to have any ford car that actually had the navigation option installed. So I'd consider that normal. (And I've often confirmed that by looking up the window sticker for the car.)
Old Sep 2, 2015, 11:36 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
It looks like nav is a standalone option on the Fusion at all trim levels -- not included in any packages. So not entirely surprising that they didn't order it.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 6:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
It's a free period through Labor Day - picked up a Nissan Pathfinder at LAX and XM was obviously expired based on the channel selection, but it worked because of the free period.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by dtremit
It looks like nav is a standalone option on the Fusion at all trim levels -- not included in any packages. So not entirely surprising that they didn't order it.
Ah. I had a new Explorer Limited the other day with working Nav, so I got my hopes up with the Fusion.

I guess that's what Google Maps is for nowadays.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:11 am

Ah. I had a new Explorer Limited the other day with working Nav, so I got my hopes up with the Fusion.

I guess that's what Google Maps is for nowadays.
Try Waze. You'll never use an in-car nav again. Free turn by turn navigation, with route planning based on real-time traffic conditions. Owned by Google.
Old Sep 3, 2015, 7:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
Try Waze. You'll never use an in-car nav again. Free turn by turn navigation, with route planning based on real-time traffic conditions. Owned by Google.
Tried it for a couple weeks. Didn't like it - just a preference thing.

Google Maps does just fine for me, and also offers real-time route planning and suggests route updates as you go. Since Google/Waze now share data, it's using the same traffic/incident information. I just like the vanilla Google version better.

What I don't like is having to fiddle with my phone, find a place to put it in the car, and/or keep looking down at the cupholder or whatever for directions. IMO, the selling point for in-car nav is a high-center map display, often integration with a HUD or near-HUD on the instrument panel, and voice directions integrated with car audio (yes, I could use bluetooth with my phone, but that then prevents me from listening to local radio or SXM).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.