Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Returning car - possible to change Emerald Club ID?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2015, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Marriott Plat, UA 1K, Avis First, National Emerald Exec.
Lightbulb Returning car - possible to change Emerald Club ID?

I share a car with some colleagues. We're wondering if it's possible for the same person to always pick-up the rental, but have others rotate who does the final payment/earns credits on the return - so that we can all maintain status.

Is this possible? I couldn't find anything about this..
Old Mar 16, 2015, 3:29 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
You can change the payment method, but I doubt you'd be able to retroactively change who the primary renter is (and therefore who would earn the credit). From a liability perspective that makes no sense at all.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Marriott Plat, UA 1K, Avis First, National Emerald Exec.
From a liability perspective, it might make sense if the contract supports additional drivers - as ours does.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 6:07 pm
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
Sorry, perhaps I wasn't clear.

I'm not saying that others can't use the car. I am saying that when person A picks up the car, in the system that person is who is liable for any and all damage to the car (or fines or whatever). The extra driver is never on the hook for that even if they're explicitly added to the contract. I don't know that National would allow a change to the primary renter after the fact for that reason.

Also, to retroactively change the primary driver by implication means that person picked up the car (at least for records purposes) which would obviously not be true. I think that is a further reason this request would not be honored.

Finally, from my anecdotal experience having tried to do something similar to this (I rented but someone else was being reimbursed for the rental, and their being an authorized driver was not sufficient to achieve that) this won't work.

But hey, ask next time you rent and prove me wrong.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 12:29 pm

I would be shocked if this was allowed. This would basically put them in the position of assuming risk already incurred if the contract being switched to had LDW, which they would be crazy to do.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)

Also has the potential for conflict when status of the renters differ.

Say the pick up person is Executive and gets a double upgrade from the aisle. Drop off person who wants credit for the rental is Emerald aisle and not eligible for the selected car. How do you price the upgrade? And what about the Executive who arrived late and was forced into a compact because the non Exec essentially jumped the queue (at least from a retrospective perspective). Why would National let you "use" elite benefits before earning them?

Liability issue itself is way to complex to manage with little upside for National. Add allowing two people to use set of earned benefits... Don't see it happening but as someone else, prove me wrong.

Easier to let the first person rent for day one, and return the next day with colleague. Close first contract and let colleague open a new second contract.
Old Mar 17, 2015, 7:31 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
So you're basically wanting people who didn't rent the car to get credit for it so everyone can have Exec?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.