Wiki Posts
Search

Question about Mini Vans

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2015, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Question about Mini Vans

Hi All,

I am a regular Emerald Aisle member. I live very close to Hartford/Springfield (BDL). I need to get a mini van for a road trip down to Myrtle Beach. I contacted the National at BDL and she said to book my reservation through the Emerald Club and when I get there ask them for a mini van. Do you think that I should book a mini van in addition to my Emerald Club reservation just in case?

Has anyone asked for a different car if what you were looking for wasn't in the aisle?
Old Feb 5, 2015, 9:10 am

I was leaving MCO following Xmas Break (demanding minivan time), and the Isle had no minivans. Had Traverses, Acadia, etc. So attendant suggested talking to Alamo 40 feet away...Alamo booth would upgrade me free to Traverse, but insisted on $29.99 upgrade for minivan. They had 15 of them sitting in minivan isle! I said ok and found one with only like 1K miles on her, which was certainly appreciated by my group on a shot-gun drive to NYC!
Old Feb 5, 2015, 9:59 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
I have been doing this recently at another location, and have found very good availability for minivans on the Aisle. I think it is a low demand time of year for them -- no families taking vacations right now.

That said -- you can easily do the following. If you need to pick up your car at 1pm, make an Aisle reservation for 1:30pm and a minivan reservation for 2:30pm. Then, when you get there, if there's a minivan on the Aisle (or the attendant is willing to grab you one), just cancel the minivan reservation from your smartphone app.

(Having them at different times isn't strictly necessary, but it makes it easier to tell them apart in the app.)
Old Feb 5, 2015, 10:56 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Agree with the previous advice -- but at two recent rentals at BDL I had no trouble getting a vehicle that sat 7.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 1:41 pm

Make two reservations. One for the aisle and one for the minivan with a pick-up time 1 hour later than when you plan to arrive at National and simply cancel which one you don't use.

My last rental at BDL was in November and I needed a minivan. There was none on Aisle/Executive and only two on the reserve section. Even though I had a backup minivan reservation, I spoke to the attendant about any possibility of Sienna's and upgrade fee's. There was no Sienna at that time but he allowed me to take one of the vans for the aisle price. So I still ended up getting what I wanted.

Bottom line if none is on the aisle; it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old Feb 8, 2015, 1:02 am

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Not at BDL, but I was able to request a nicer minivan for an Aisle res tonight at BOS without any trouble. (They had a handful on the Aisle already, but they were high mileage and didn't have much tread left on the tires. Not ideal for our permanent snowstorm condition...)
Old Feb 10, 2015, 9:19 am

Hi! Need quick advice. I need to pre-pay passenger van today (avis), for Feb.13-23 rental from BDL. I don't now what time to pick, as I don't know the most economical way to commute one-way NYC->BDL??
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:26 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by SinglePapa2
Hi! Need quick advice. I need to pre-pay passenger van today (avis), for Feb.13-23 rental from BDL. I don't now what time to pick, as I don't know the most economical way to commute one-way NYC->BDL??
You haven't provided great information here. Why are you picking up at BDL when you are actually starting at NYC?

NYC to BDL is not at all an easy trip to make on public transport. You can take Amtrak or Greyhound to Hartford itself and then take a local bus or a taxi ($45).

You could also rent IN NYC as a one-way rental and return to BDL.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:50 am

I didn't expect to confuse you: I live in NYC, but I'm picking up full-size van at BDL (10 days for $570 after tax). I'm extremely open to picking up anywhere (MD, PA, NJ?) if someone suggests a deal on Fullsize Van.

I'm not at all considering taxi. So does anyone local know what transport gets me to BDL?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:43 pm

I didn't expect to confuse you: I live in NYC, but I'm picking up full-size van at BDL (10 days for $570 after tax). I'm extremely open to picking up anywhere (MD, PA, NJ?) if someone suggests a deal on Fullsize Van.

I'm not at all considering taxi. So does anyone local know what transport gets me to BDL?
Gotcha, this makes sense. 570 with taxes is a good deal.

I would take the Bolt Bus to Hartford Union Station, then take this bus (http://www.cttransit.com/routessched...adleyflyer.asp) which provides hourly service to Bradley.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:48 pm

The one thing I'd add -- you should shop National New Haven and National Stamford. Both of those locations are much easier to get to from NYC and they would avoid the rental car fee (which for your rental is probably 15% of the cost).
Old Feb 10, 2015, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by noah
The one thing I'd add -- you should shop National New Haven and National Stamford. Both of those locations are much easier to get to from NYC and they would avoid the rental car fee (which for your rental is probably 15% of the cost).
I very much appreciate the commute tips above. But here...I don't understand about National: I need Fullsize van for 10 days
Old Feb 10, 2015, 2:04 pm

I very much appreciate the commute tips above. But here...I don't understand about National: I need Fullsize van for 10 days
He meant that Stamford and New Haven are much closer to NYC than Hartford and would probably be easier and cheaper to get to.

When you say full-size van do you mean a minivan or one of the 12-15 seaters?
Old Feb 10, 2015, 4:49 pm

Minivans would not be an issue, lol...

Passenger vans are hit'n'miss. For whatever reason: Dollar, Thrifty, Payless, Alamo, Enterprise who all say they carry them - don't indicate so at NorthEast locations. I'm only seeing Budget and Avis in the entire NorthEast
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:45 am

My experience at PDX has been that even if I reserve a minivan, there is not one available, and they try to push me to take a Suburban or similar off the ES.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.