Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is your preferred reward redemption?

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2014, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

What is your preferred reward redemption?

I just noticed that National is depositing miles into my Southwest account for my preferred reward.

I suppose everyone has a favorite, but what are the good values? Is it a good value to take miles and have them go to Southwest or AA? Or is it a better value to consider taking the car rental credits?

Thanks
Old May 1, 2014, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
I think you'll find that most people here take the car rental credits.

I use my car rental credits for one-way rentals; my next reward is being used for Premium reservation between YUL and BOS. Would cost $350 out of pocket -- but $6 with the credit.

That is absolutely more than most redemptions, but I think you'll find worth far more than airline miles.
Old May 1, 2014, 5:04 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
I use my rewards either on one ways or large vehicles, like this last time took a Tahoe for 3 days. Saved me $100 a day.
Old May 1, 2014, 5:27 pm

I've been accruing a lot of Carlson points.
Old May 1, 2014, 6:35 pm
Original Poster

What is the conversion rate? How much do you have to spend to get a 1 day of free car rental? Or 1 mile?
Old May 1, 2014, 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by factory81
What is the conversion rate? How much do you have to spend to get a 1 day of free car rental? Or 1 mile?
For Carlson, you get 1,800 points per rental day.
Old May 2, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: American Platinum, Delta
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
For Carlson, you get 1,800 points per rental day.
The best I'm seeing is a bonus offer for 1,500 points per day using ID# 5030270 that expires June 30, 2014.

Where would I find the 1,800 points per day?
Old May 2, 2014, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by multicamp
The best I'm seeing is a bonus offer for 1,500 points per day using ID# 5030270 that expires June 30, 2014.

Where would I find the 1,800 points per day?
It's 1,500 points per day on top of the base partner points of 300/day, making it a total of 1,800 per day.
Old May 2, 2014, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
My favorite is to do a 3-day award one-way from Monday to Thursday, and then pick up local weekend rentals or use transit on either side of it.

In 3 days I can easily cover 700 miles at a leisurely sightseeing pace, so that's a distance like Atlanta to Pittsburgh.
Old May 24, 2014, 8:19 pm

Programs: US Air Gold, HH Diamond, National Executive Elite, Delta Silver
Take the rental credit...better deal.
Old May 29, 2014, 8:22 am

Has anyone had trouble having their Carlson points post for rentals longer than 4 days? The partner points post without diffuculty but the more lucrative 1, 500 points per day either don't post or only partially post. Inevitably I need to make a request to National or Club Carlson with the result that I'm bounced between the two and denied my full points.

No problems for 3-4 day rental points posting quickly though, usually as fast as a week after the rental.
Old Jun 3, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: Hertz Presidents, National EE, Hilton Gold, United MP
Originally Posted by noah
I think you'll find that most people here take the car rental credits.

I use my car rental credits for one-way rentals; my next reward is being used for Premium reservation between YUL and BOS. Would cost $350 out of pocket -- but $6 with the credit.
This.

Using four free days to get two Tahoe/Fullsize SUV's for a weekend camping trip for seven guys and two dogs. Cost for the trucks would have been over $800 for the weekend. It was $9.20 for the two of them.
Old Jun 4, 2014, 7:00 am
Original Poster

I just did a 6 day rental with National and saw I only got 1 of 5 credits needed to even rent a car. So by this math, it takes 5 individual rentals to achieve one day of rental (kind of a bit of work if you ask me, are you sure the points/miles are not a better deal?)

Let me ask this,

Do you benefit from National more by doing more short term rentals? Because that is my impression so far.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 10:09 am

Programs: Hertz Presidents, National EE, Hilton Gold, United MP
Originally Posted by factory81
I just did a 6 day rental with National and saw I only got 1 of 5 credits needed to even rent a car. So by this math, it takes 5 individual rentals to achieve one day of rental (kind of a bit of work if you ask me, are you sure the points/miles are not a better deal?)

Let me ask this,

Do you benefit from National more by doing more short term rentals? Because that is my impression so far.
For my situation, yes. You get 1 point for every rental contract / 4 consecutive days. Your accrual rate depends on your status.

I flip between Hertz / National for work rentals and use National when I come home for the weekends. Don't like leaving my car at the airport lot. So I get two points per week, or a free rental day every 2-3 weeks and still have some Hertz points for when I want a Porsche.
Old Jun 6, 2014, 12:06 pm

Programs: PC: Platinum, DL: PM, National: Exec
Free days. 4 days Newark-Austin in a Suburban loaded with all my worldly possessions. Should have been well over $1200 but cost me 28.00. Definitely worth more to me than the frequent flyer miles/points.

Cheapest cross country move ever. Luckily I did not own much stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.