Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

Have any of you done the 24 hour (off hour) return at DCA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2014, 1:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref

I just called the National 800# and they said that DCA allows a 24 hour return although its not staffed from say midnight to about 5 a.m.

Has anyone returned a car during this "off" hour period? If so, what was the process
Old Apr 7, 2014, 2:37 pm

I remember I pulled it up to the drop-off and lined it up with the other cars that had been dropped off. I left the keys in the car and noted the mileage. Is was around 4am and I caught a flight to Denver at about 530am. When I landed in Denver, I received a confirmation and receipt around 7am EST from their facility. Never had a problem. Hope this helps!
Old Apr 7, 2014, 3:40 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kayfabe
I remember I pulled it up to the drop-off and lined it up with the other cars that had been dropped off. I left the keys in the car and noted the mileage. Is was around 4am and I caught a flight to Denver at about 530am. When I landed in Denver, I received a confirmation and receipt around 7am EST from their facility. Never had a problem. Hope this helps!
Perfect thank you

So just clarifying, you leave your keys in the ignition and that was it?

I take it you noted the mileage for your own records?

I will be in a similar situation.. except 6:00 a.m. departure

thanks again
Old Apr 10, 2014, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP, National Exec., SPG Gold, AmEx Plat
I did this after midnight during the midst of a snowstorm last month. DCA was a ghost town, and it took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out what to do.

I pulled the car into the drop-off lanes and left the key in a drop-box. You'll find it on the right side of the lanes near a small booth. Received a receipt by email a few hours later without issue.
Old Apr 10, 2014, 5:03 pm

I just left the keys in the ignition. All the other cars in line had the keys in theirs as well. If anyone tried to take the vehicle, they would have to go backwards out over the tire shredders. I jotted down my mileage and felt safe. It worked out well.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Dropped it off at 4:30 am and a person was there to check me in although her system for receipts was not working so she gave me a manual checkout without the price

She also said there was a drop box for the keys if no one was there

All in all I'm happy assuming the bill comes out right
Old Apr 14, 2014, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Data point

Bill came out fine
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:38 pm
WAS

Programs: National Parks Annual Pass
I've done is several times at DCA, both for National and Budget. The bill always came out fine, with the return time back-dated to the night before.

I would, however, recommend putting the keys in the box. You never know...
Old Apr 19, 2014, 7:05 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
I did this at SJC once. Keys in drop box, receipt emailed shortly after 6 AM local time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.