Rear view camera now standard for 2014

Cons
Outdated touchscreen
Seats lack support
Thick C Pillars and seat rest create blind spot
Light steering and firm suspension

Summary
A great ride overall and good for middle of the road PCAR

The Toyota Avalon had a reputation for being a large, comfortable car that drove like a cloud. It was popular with the older grey crowd. The 2012 model was referred to as the Toyota Town Car. The 2013 model was a new design that made the car more sporty in its feel and how it drove. The 2014 edition remains unchanged with the exception that the rear view camera is now standard on the base XLE trim.

The Avalon has many quality materials. There is lots of leather, and I love the stitching in the leather. This particular Avalon had a two tone interior of almond and dark gray. It gave the interior a tuxedo look. Of course there was plenty of plood, and plastic chrome.

The Avalon is powered by a 3.5L V6. It provides good acceleration with 0-60 in 6.4 seconds. As stated earlier, the Avalon has a firm suspension and loose steering. I do not mind a firm suspension, as long as there is sufficient support in the seat, which the Avalon is lacking.

The touchscreen is very familiar to anyone who has rented a Camry in the past few years. While basic and low-tech, it is very easy to program the phone. It has support for AUX, USB, and bluetooth. There is no SiriusXM on the base XLE trim. One nice feature is the center console where all the inputs as well as cell chargers are located, has a lid that can be closed, but has a slot to allow cables to come through, while still allowing the lid to close.

In Summary, the Avalon is a great PCAR rental. It is a nice looking car, and has many great features. Due to the lack of support in the seat, it would not be my first choice for a longer car trip. I would prefer either the Taurus or 300 in those situations. For driving around town, it is a good choice.

Old Feb 2, 2014, 7:33 pm

Programs: Emerald Club, Hhonors, Rapid rewards
Thanks for the review. I almost got one of these out of LAS at the beginning of December but apparently the keys got lost.
Old Feb 2, 2014, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum, 1MM
I think this is the best of Toyota's recent sedan redesigns. The current Camry is plebian and the new Corolla is pretty sad for a total redesign. I'd be happy if I got this as a rental car. Most car makers are having a hard time with decent feel electric power steering. Beige interior in a rental car - recipe for disaster.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.