Wiki Posts
Search

Permanently Renting Instead of Owning

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2013, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by elCheapoDeluxe
The rental car facility fee at SFO is $20/day just on its own.

Of course, there are also probably 90 days a year when I wouldn't need to rent a car at home because I would be traveling.
It is not $20 a day - it is a flat $20.

Such an intriguing concept - unfortunately, the $5 day security fee in NJ alone starts making the numbers difficult. On a random search, enterprise was $155 a week - but $201 after taxes/fees.

Last edited by aacharya; Apr 6, 2013 at 5:14 pm
Old Apr 12, 2013, 8:46 pm

I still don't understand the numbers making this a good choice of permanently renting instead of owning. I believe this would work for me, but can't see a good weekly price x3 weeks in a month..
Old Apr 13, 2013, 6:57 pm

Programs: DL GE
Some of it either depends on being in a cheap area or having a one on one with your local station manager about your intentions and what is the drop dead rate they can getcha.
Old Apr 13, 2013, 7:48 pm

$23.17 per day is what it cost me to own a 2013 Ford Expedition Limited EL, if I wanted to drive something smaller perhaps it might work, but I don't so owning something this big is the way to go.
There is no rental agency that will write a RC for $115 for an Expedition....
Old Apr 19, 2013, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive Elite, Avis Chairmans Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Well just to recap so far we've sold one of our cars. I've been doing this for about two months and everything is working out great.

An added benefit is that I can exchange for a different vehicle at anytime. Most often I want something fuel efficient so I was driving a Prius for 3 weeks. Now I've gone on a business trip in a mountainous area with bad weather. So I was in a Pathfinder.

Wanted something more luxurious so now I'm in an Infiniti FX37. Once I return home I'll probably swap this for a Prius, Fusion hybrid, or CMAX if they have one.

We still have one car that we own, so I have liability coverage from that. I switched my Discover cards to the "Escape" card which carries primary rental coverage up to $50,000 for most vehicles. That way if anything happens hopefully I won't need to file under my own insurance.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:27 pm

The taxes on the National airport rentals are awful.
Old Apr 20, 2013, 5:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive Elite, Avis Chairmans Club, Hertz Presidents Circle
Agent at the last branch I rented from mistyped and put $250.00 for the monthly rate. Once I saw that I called Emerald customer service line and asked how much it would be to extend my contract out so I'd have the vehicle 31 days. Agent said "$336.10".

I said are you sure, that isn't a system glitch or anything? She said "nope, if it's in the system it's gotta be right. It's already calculated all your taxes and fees. Would you like me to modify your reservation?"

I jumped on that in a heartbeat! So right now I have an Infiniti FX37 for a month for $336.10!
Old Apr 25, 2013, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
So I've been experimenting with this for the last few weeks, which now includes a full month of data. I'm renting from an on-airport location (thus paying horrendous fees) but with a mix of coupons and "last-minute specials" have averaged a rate of $23.83/day including taxes and fees for a premium rental, usually an Infiniti G37X. The month includes 5 days when I was travelling abroad and/or for business (and thus was not paying for a rental out of my own pocket). This is pretty typical, so would not skew the results. I also get full car insurance through my UK Centurion Card.

In effect, assuming all things remain equal, this amounts to approx. $26,091 total cost of usage (excluding fuel) over three years.

By comparison, a brand new Infiniti G37X would be approximately $36,665. Taking into account annual insurance costs ($1,200), annual taxes and fees ($1,917), regular maintenance ($700), repairs/tires ($500), and average annual depreciation over three years of $5,422 ... the total cost of ownership over three years would be $28,618. I used Edmunds.com Total Cost of Ownership calculator to get these assumptions.

So, effectively it's a wash. The +/- softer categories would be ability to swap out vehicles for something different (e.g. we needed a pick-up one weekend to move some furniture) vs. the hassle of swinging by the airport every week, although that's only 10-15 min from my house.

Negotiating a better rate, finding an off-airport property, or perhaps leveraging Priceline for non "last minute" rates (although I wouldn't get a premium likely) could yield better financials.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 1:51 am

Programs: IHG Plat, JGC, Asiana Diamond, National EE
Originally Posted by Tony King
Agent at the last branch I rented from mistyped and put $250.00 for the monthly rate. Once I saw that I called Emerald customer service line and asked how much it would be to extend my contract out so I'd have the vehicle 31 days. Agent said "$336.10".

I said are you sure, that isn't a system glitch or anything? She said "nope, if it's in the system it's gotta be right. It's already calculated all your taxes and fees. Would you like me to modify your reservation?"

I jumped on that in a heartbeat! So right now I have an Infiniti FX37 for a month for $336.10!
oh wow that's very nice! Just wondering where do you see the monthly rate?
Old May 6, 2013, 1:21 pm

I am trying to find some where to get non-owner liability insurance but nobody seems to offer it. I called AAA, gieco, esurance, travelers.

I saw people mention getting it from AAA but I tried 2 different places and nobody knows about it.

Does anybody know of any place to try?
Old May 6, 2013, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by dustenm
I am trying to find some where to get non-owner liability insurance but nobody seems to offer it. I called AAA, gieco, esurance, travelers.

I saw people mention getting it from AAA but I tried 2 different places and nobody knows about it.

You can try Safeco - AAA Southern CA has it for sure, but your local AAA office might not. Do you have an address you can use in SoCal for your AAA membership, perhaps family?
Old May 7, 2013, 12:36 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Executive, Hertz PC, National EE, IC Diamond Ambassador, ALL Gold, Hyatt Disc
I had that for over a year with AAA insurance as well in Northern California. It was a named non-owner policy that was a spin off of my original policy when I had a car before it was wrecked. The year was less than $100 or so at the time. Not sure where you are located but, as mentioned above, your AAA club may not be familiar with it.
Old May 7, 2013, 3:40 am

Programs: WN Nothing and spending the half million points from too many flights, Hilton Diamond

Try getting a rider on your home owners insurance. Mine is a rider on my commercial liability policy, but most people do not have business insurance.
Old May 7, 2013, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by bocastephen
You can try Safeco - AAA Southern CA has it for sure, but your local AAA office might not. Do you have an address you can use in SoCal for your AAA membership, perhaps family?

Nope don't have any address I could use in CA. I tried safeco they do offer this policy and have insurance in PA but this policy is not good for PA.

Also tried AAA with no luck. I wonder if this type of insurance is just really a CA one.
Old May 7, 2013, 6:24 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive

State Farm offers it. (The office that can issue it is an office in your state of residence--NOT the state where you drive the rental car, if different.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.