Quiet and comfortable ride
Excellant handling and performance

Cons
Multimedia system is lacking
Bluetooth audio not on par with many FCAR's
Quiet ride with powerful engine is a speeding ticket waiting to happen
Lacking some features of other premium/ luxury cars

Overview
The 2013 Hyundai Genesis is almost identical to the 2012. To read the excellant 2012 review, http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/natio...rt-review.html A new version will be coming out for the 2014 model year. The Genesis as purchased by National is the base trim. The base trim, unlike others, does come with many standard features, and is a very enjoyable ride. If you happen to see a Genesis with a sunroof, by all means GRAB IT! It has the premium package which adds 18-inch wheels, a sunroof, power-folding outside mirrors, automatic wipers, leather dash and door trim, driver seat memory functions, a power tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel, a power rear sunshade, a navigation system, a 7-inch touchscreen display, a rearview camera and a premium Lexicon 14-speaker surround-sound audio system. I have no word on whether or not any rental car company has ordered it, but it is worth looking for.

Performance and Handling
This is where the Genesis excels. The V6 puts out 333 HP and has quick acceleration. This car was built with performance in mind. On my way home from work I took the back roads, which runs through the hills and has many tight turns that the speed limit drops to 45. This is the kind of road where you turn off the cruise, switch the transmission to manual mode, and crank up the music. This car performed flawlessly. It handled the curves like a higher end sports car. When I needed to pass a car, I downshifted and pushed the pedal. The car quickly accelerated and passed the car. The steering is light, but not as bad as little sister Sonata.

Multimedia
This is where the car is lacking, compared to its peers, and even compared to FCAR's. There is no touchscreen, and no large 7 inch multimedia display. Most of the settings are through push buttons. The bluetooth audio is seriously lacking in volume. With my phone set to max volume, and the bluetooth volume set to max, the volume was adequate. The sound out of the 7 speakers was better then average

Interior
I found the leather seats to be on the comfortable side, especially compared to the firm leather found on other cars. Both front seats are heated. Most heated seats warm the seat. These feel like a heating pad on ultra-high. On longer drives it felt great on my back. There was some concern with my pants catching fire. As you can see from the one interior picture, there is plood a plenty. Storage is average for a premium car.

Final thoughts
I greatly enjoyed the Genesis and would rent again. If you are looking for a fun, performance car, this is the car for you. If you are looking for a longer road trip car, I would personally take the Lacrosse. The issues with the bluetooth, lack of some features, and the features of the Lacrosse make it a better choice for a longer road trip.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:20 am

Nice report!

I don't think anyone has ever seen a Genesis with one of those optional packages...just like how the Nissan Maxima is almost always the base S-trim.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:46 am

Class G with National?!? Huh?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Coastercameron
Class G with National?!? Huh?
Vehicle Class Driven: Premium 2/4 Door Car Auto A/C
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:41 am

Right! PCAR not G! :-)
Old Jan 16, 2013, 9:52 am
Moderator: National Car

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM
It's classified as G with Hertz, is what I think he meant by that.

Had an identical car as yours down to the color combo out of LGA a couple weeks ago. I was either the first or second renter as the car had 33 miles on it at pickup. Really soaked up the potholes and bumps of the dismal NYC infrastructure and gas mileage wasn't terrible either. Averaged 16 MPG in NYC traffic, which bested the Taurus I had last time in New York (15 MPG) and the 300C w/V8 I had the time before that (14 MPG). Also appreciated the heated seats.

I hate the headrests on the Genesis though. They protrude too far IMO and huge oversight that they are not adjustable backwards and forwards.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:20 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, BMI Silver
I'm not sure what option package the Genesis I rented had but I can say that it was a sweet ride and kept up with the big boys when I needed it to.

It was silver with AZ plates. For 2013, it was nice. It already had a dent on the fender. Smh. The only gripe I have is that it didn't have a backup camera. Not that I needed one but I've been accustomed to it as an included feature on the 300 and Taurus. I'm not a Hyundai guy and I was skeptical but it was better than I expected.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 5:02 pm

I just picked up another clone of the car you had, down to the paint!

Mine has 2700 miles on it and was registered 12-12-12. I can't spot a single difference between it and the 2012 Genesis I drove back in March.

I still really like this car. Fantastic interior. While the infotainment IS lacking compared to others, there is something comforting to me in the simple, well layed out, easy to operate system in this car. This coming from someone who loves MyFord Touch and will often take a car just BECAUSE it has a big screen in the center!

Not much more can be said that hasn't been said between the 2012 and 2013 ride reports here. It will be interesting to see what 2014 bring fro the Genesis!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.