Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > National | Emerald Club
Reload this Page >

If you could buy your Executive or Executive Elite status, would you?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2011, 1:00 pm
Moderator: National Car
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, Hilton DM

Simple question. If you were an infrequent renter, or didn't rent enough to make the 12/year or 35 day/year cutoff, and National let you pay some amount of money to skip ahead to Executive or Executive Elite, would you?

Of course this is purely hypothetical, since they offer no such option. I'm just curious if you all think the benefits would justify the cost.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by dwbf11
Simple question. If you were an infrequent renter, or didn't rent enough to make the 12/year or 35 day/year cutoff, and National let you pay some amount of money to skip ahead to Executive or Executive Elite, would you?

Of course this is purely hypothetical, since they offer no such option. I'm just curious if you all think the benefits would justify the cost.
In a way, one already can buy the status...it is offered with some of the larger annual fee credit cards (ie. AXP Plat) which places the status as just one of a handful of perks being acquired for the $375 or so per year.

Would it justify the cost? As a standalone item, no. As a component in a package of perks included in the annual fee, it depends.
Old Oct 17, 2011, 3:29 pm

If they had something like the equivalent of Hertz Platinum for purchase, I might consider it...
Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EP, UA MM
Please don't give Enterprise any ideas... I think EE is one of the best in the industry. Generally i always get some very nice at an intermediate price. ^
Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:23 am

My general answer to the question is yes.
At my local airport, Executive tends to have the best selection. And, I have never yet had National balk when I do a self-downgrade to a more economical car, as long as I was paying the higher price.
However, right now I have 6 or more rentals a year that are for the most mundane reasons(where even an Aveo will do). Even though I cannot earn airline miles at Enterprise, having the Enterprise rentals count toward status with Emerald Club has been very helpful.
So, I would not be really keen on paying for something that I would likely earn over a year anyway.

P.S. Even now that I have Executive status, my decision on which company to rent from can still be swayed by a big airline miles bonus.

Last edited by 4now; Oct 18, 2011 at 9:30 am
Old Oct 20, 2011, 4:27 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dwbf11
obviously depends on the cost but I'm enjoying EE status so much I think I would pay if for some reason I was short.

In no way should they offer a pay option for E status.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 12:05 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro 1.4M, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by michelle227
In a way, one already can buy the status...it is offered with some of the larger annual fee credit cards (ie. AXP Plat) which places the status as just one of a handful of perks being acquired for the $375 or so per year.

Would it justify the cost? As a standalone item, no. As a component in a package of perks included in the annual fee, it depends.
+1 - it is one of the perquisites included with the $450 annual fee for AE Plat.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 2:28 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
I would not buy it. If I only rented occasionally I really wanted a specific car or size of car I would just rent that directly.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 3:10 pm

Programs: Marriott LTG, HHonors Diamond, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by neo_781
I would not buy it. If I only rented occasionally I really wanted a specific car or size of car I would just rent that directly.
This -- plus I can't imagine it'd be cheaper to buy it than to do a few extra rentals in a cheap location. But then, I'm never anywhere near missing Exec, and Exec Elite isn't really worth paying extra for...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.