Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Reserved, Can I "self downgrade"?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2010, 4:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Premium Reserved, Can I "self downgrade"?

I have used a couple of free days to reserve a preimum vehicle in a few weeks. But I don't want to drive the Grand Marquis I recently saw on the "Premium" Aisle (I was thinking it more more like the Buick or something, not the "boat" )

So if I get there and the Marquis is the only option, I was planning to "downgrade" to full size. Anyone see an issue.

I am ES so I could just go to that aisle, but I need a decent size car to haul my family around in.....
Old Aug 3, 2010, 5:10 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

I've done this before a few times. Only time that required even some explanation was at LAX when I took a Lincoln MKS off ES, the checkout guy gave me a hard time saying it was a luxury - to which I replied yes but it was parked in ES - a call to the manager and I was all set to go.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I have self-downgraded enough times that I wonder if a Premium reservation is the right way to go at locations with ES - but I will not take a Grand Marquis or 300 Touring as a premium. Without rebooking the reservation one gets a full size (ES) car at the full size rate.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I have self-downgraded enough times that I wonder if a Premium reservation is the right way to go at locations with ES - but I will not take a Grand Marquis or 300 Touring as a premium. Without rebooking the reservation one gets a full size (ES) car at the full size rate.
I have considered just changing the reservation.... But will probably leave it and "self downgrade" if I don't like the options. I haven't found that much great on the ES lately either...
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:20 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by CarolDisney1
I have considered just changing the reservation.... But will probably leave it and "self downgrade" if I don't like the options. I haven't found that much great on the ES lately either...
You mentioned you were using free days. Is there anything 'high end' available to book? I've found when I use my free days for the most expensive category (luxury SUV usually), I have no problem taking anything on the lot.

Ron.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:27 am

Programs: Amex Platinum; Southwest A-list; BW Diamond; Hilton Gold; CO Silver; Hertz President's circle
Sorry for the dumb question, but out of interest, what's so bad about the Grand Marquis? It's a little unwieldy and under-accessorized, but otherwise I found it to be a pretty comfortable car.

Just wondering!

Cheers,

Paul.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by CALimey
Sorry for the dumb question, but out of interest, what's so bad about the Grand Marquis? It's a little unwieldy and under-accessorized, but otherwise I found it to be a pretty comfortable car.

Just wondering!

Cheers,

Paul.
TOO BIG! Also I think you have to be over 60 to legally drive one
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:33 am

Programs: Amex Platinum; Southwest A-list; BW Diamond; Hilton Gold; CO Silver; Hertz President's circle
TOO BIG! Also I think you have to be over 60 to legally drive one

Hehe. There is certainly no doubt that it is an old man's car!

Thanks for the clarification, and the 'too big' part was what I suspected.

Cheers,

Paul.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The Grand Marquis is a wonderful ride for 4-5 guys on a golf trip with a trunk full of clubs. Other'n that, I'm not a fan of them.

I don't mind the loaded 300's I sometimes see on the ES, but I still find 'em a big too unwieldy. My own car is a Civic...I guess I'm just used to smaller cars.

I've self-downgraded before on several occasions. Luxury to Premium and Luxury to ES. Also, on Alamo bookings, I'll usually be in a full-size reservation but if I see a midsize with XM I'll take that instead.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 10:54 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
Anytime I self-downgrade I usually grab my iPhone and change the booking so as to avoid questions at the exit booth. I also usually set my res time at Aisle locations about a half-hour ahead of when I plan to get the car so that I can still change it.

Once I asked about upgrading to a Santa Fe at YVR since it had XM and Bluetooth, and they would only give it to me for the going rate, esentially changing my booking. When I told them I was willing to pay $10-15 more like a traditionally upgrade, they still said no, full price only. So I left the counter and went and sat in the Santa Fe as I cancelled my original booking and booked an SUV using a Free Day.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newfbc
You mentioned you were using free days. Is there anything 'high end' available to book? I've found when I use my free days for the most expensive category (luxury SUV usually), I have no problem taking anything on the lot.

Ron.
Well....

I really dislike SUVs. (SORRY) So I booked the "hightest" I would actuallly want to drive.
Old Aug 4, 2010, 1:26 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Well....

I really dislike SUVs. (SORRY) So I booked the "hightest" I would actuallly want to drive.
That's fair

Though I've booked a luxury SUV a number of times, I've never driven one. The last 2x at LAS I switched out to a Mercedes and a Volvo C70 convertible.

Ron.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 7:44 am

Programs: HH Gold, FB, Hertz Gold+, Omni Platinum
Originally Posted by newfbc
That's fair

Though I've booked a luxury SUV a number of times, I've never driven one. The last 2x at LAS I switched out to a Mercedes and a Volvo C70 convertible.

Ron.
Hi, a short question, do they have new Volvo (>2009) or old one? thanks!
Old Aug 23, 2010, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Effekt
Hi, a short question, do they have new Volvo (>2009) or old one? thanks!
The Volvo C70 I drove was fairly new. definitely >2009.

Ron.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 1:10 pm

Haha. It's not so much that I dislike SUV's, as it is that my insurance dislikes SUV's.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.