Community
Wiki Posts
Search

HHR/Malibu Classification Change

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2011, 12:57 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
The Malibu has been a full for a while. I remember one of the ERAC employee posters rang the alarm on it and there was some discussion... Was a while ago though and with the Impala also a full it's easy to forget.

You scared the daylights out of me thinking it was now a PCAR or something!!
Old Jun 14, 2011, 4:00 am

Programs: National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis CC, Continental Onepass
Originally Posted by Tuneman1984
The Malibu has been a full for a while. I remember one of the ERAC employee posters rang the alarm on it and there was some discussion... Was a while ago though and with the Impala also a full it's easy to forget.

You scared the daylights out of me thinking it was now a PCAR or something!!
LOL! I wouldn't be surprised!
Old Jun 14, 2011, 4:01 am

Ah ok, I guess I haven't been paying attention.

Lol, the new 2012 Malibu might very well be a PCAR.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 11:35 am

Programs: AC Subhuman (*A silver), NW Barely Alive
I had to argue for 20 minutes (granted it was about 5 years ago) to get a true Full size when the agent tried to foist a Malibu on me. We had four adults with a ton of suitcases... "A Malibu is the same as an Impala". Yeah, nice try.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 4:05 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Jet Blue Mosiac, Marriott Platinum, SPG Platinum, National Executive Elite
Yeah this happens all the time in MKE. I always book a fullsize and show them the reservation that says Impala or similar. The ES always has Malibus and I kindly point out that I'd like a fullsize instead per my reservation. It takes a little strong arming but I always walk away with an Impala or an upgrade. Frustrating to have to go through this every time. I wish National would better manage the 'franchise locations'.
Old Jun 14, 2011, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by drzoidberg
Had a Malibu LTZ rental the other day, looked at the keyfob, and the Malibu was classified as an FCAR.
Complaining about LTZ trim level Malibus as FCAR? There are 4-cylinder base (LS trim) Malibus in the fleet as FCAR.

As for those who found their complaints on Malibu not being similar to Impala? I predict that National will take that argument away with MY2012 vehicles by designating a car other than Impala as the representative Full Size car. GM has announced some serious powertrain upgrades (and will surely raise the price, dropping its popularity in rental car fleets).
Old Jun 17, 2011, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Got a Malibu from Avis (from Avis fleet list a Malibu is regarded as Full size), and I was kind of not happy about but since the car was almost new then I didn't fight for it.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 9:35 am
formerly memoses

Programs: DL PM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Something or another, HH Blue :), National EE, Sixt Plat
What Do We Reserve for Big Car?

I got in a mini-argument (friendly I suppose) with my local city location about this very detail 4 days ago! I remember sometime ago, maybe in late 2009, we all had discussion with Paminaz about the insanely annoying 300 PCAR class creep and came to understanding that the Malibu was classified as an SCAR, to which I bantered last weekend with the station manager that he was confused about this little car with big car dreams. Sure enough the key fob last weekend stated FCAR, and sure enough my new pickup today (a Malibu LT) also states FCAR.

So the new question National/Enterprise is this: If I need a big sedan, what do I order? PCAR can still net me a smaller car (Maxima or Kia), and Luxury car is not allowed by my travel policy nor personal wallet policy.
Old Jun 22, 2011, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by memoses
So the new question National/Enterprise is this: If I need a big sedan, what do I order? PCAR can still net me a smaller car (Maxima or Kia), and Luxury car is not allowed by my travel policy nor personal wallet policy.
There's no good solution for you. You can reserve Full Size and hope for an Impala or Charger. You can reserve Premium (typically my plan, but often a disappointment) hoping for a Chrysler 300 or Ford Taurus (I rather liked the Maximas). If it's about space, the manufacturers' solution is a minivan, 3-row crossover, or SUV. The U.S. market has been moving away from big sedans for 45 years.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Jun 23, 2011 at 4:14 pm
Old Jun 23, 2011, 3:52 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
April 10, 2010

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/natio...on-change.html
Old Jun 23, 2011, 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by dstan
Heh, and I posted in that thread too. Ahh, silly memory...
Old Jun 25, 2011, 9:08 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Priority Club, National Exec Elite, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis First, Thrifty Bluechip
I didn't want to say anything....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.