Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about any financial stake in NW of forum moderators

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2005, 7:19 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by HeelLaw
Am I correct in assuming then that none of your family members are NW employees or large stakeholders?
I don't really think we're entitled to anything beyond a discussion group from those running FT.

It is not as though any of us are paying to take part. Or that this is a government program or a company of which any of us are a shareholder. It is a discussion forum, and those who don't like the discussions can always buy Web tools (or even use some free ones) and create their own Web discussion sites and go into competition with FT.

If FT decides it wants to allow even direct airline employees to become moderators (and yes, some appear to be on other fora), it's up to FT.

I don't necessarily agree with everything I read on these boards (and I used to run discussion groups back when they were called "computer bulletin board systems" and required a dedicated PC and dial-in line, so I know what it's like to be an unpaid moderator) but I also realize if I don't like how something is moderated, or how the boards are run as a whole, I can just choose not to take part.

(P.S. If there is a news story link that relates directly to NW, I personally see no reason not to allow the post to stay in this forum if it adds perspective or personal experience in addition to the link -- it happens frequently over the in AS forum. But that said, I would state the news link policy clarification as the question or issue and not potential ulterior motives.)

Last edited by Seattlenerd; Apr 11, 2005 at 7:40 am Reason: added P.S.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 7:41 am
Original Poster

RC,

Thanks for your response.

I'm still unclear on a few things.

1. Where is the rule that says that posts containing links belong in Newstand? I frequent other forums (as I'm sure many in here do), and I don't see this "rule" applied in other forums as it is here.

2. In spite of that, I am still unclear as to how a mod posts several times in a thread before realizing it's in the wrong place.

3. I think I understand the difference between an on-topic thread (i.e. about Northwest and/or WorldPerks) and an off-topic thread (i.e. not specific to Northwest and/or WorldPerks). I would certainly agree that a change in Northwest's baggage policy would be ON-TOPIC. I gave the specific example of the multi-page thread about where couples sit on airplanes. I don't see this as Northwest-specific (because it isn't). I'm hoping that you can shed some light on why that thread has been here (often on the front page of the NW forum) for weeks.

4. Just to eliminate confusion, it is NOT against FT TOS to post a Northwest-related post, even containing a hyperlink, in the Northwest forum, right? There should then never be a situation where a post like that is moved to Newstand without a trace, right?

Again, thanks for your patience and willingness to answer.

(Use of the quote and /quote tags will make your responses easier to read for all of us).
Old Apr 11, 2005, 7:43 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
A side thought

3) Why topics that do not relate to the Northwest Worldperks program are not closed/moved/deleted. This seemingly inconsistent moderation is particularly concerning when compared to the harsh line taken with "newstand" stories that are not favorable to NW.
Indirectly, this is an interesting point I've wondered about. The fora are named for the frequent-flier programs, but really seem to have more to do with each individual airline as a whole. I wonder if Randy has considered renaming these boards to not be about the FFP (Worldperks, Mileage Plan, etc.) and just be about the airlines (Northwest, Alaska). This might make the board names match the reality of what's being posted and avoid any confusion for new users.

Last edited by Seattlenerd; Apr 11, 2005 at 7:49 am
Old Apr 11, 2005, 8:34 am

Programs: DL DM/ 2MM, BA Silver, Amtrak Select Executive, SPG Life Plat/Amb, Fairmont Preferred
I think that the OP is was deliberately provocative and rude (intentionally or not), but I didn't know that some posts were moved out of forum without a moved link. I'm generally happy with NW and this board (and all the time people spend to administer it), but I don't think we have to drink the Kool-aid; if there are a few articles slamming NW out there leave the links or moved messages so that we can see them.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 9:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by PersonalFlotationDevice
if there are a few articles slamming NW out there leave the links or moved messages so that we can see them.
Have you been reading this thread? ALL threads with a newslink, not only the ones with a perceived negative angle to them, are to be moved to Newsstand, however on-topic they may be. It is interesting that no other forum enforces similiar rules, so why is the NW forum different?

And to those that say fora should only be about specific WP mile earning or upgrade discussion, I would note there is a whole lot more that goes on that is of interest to NW fliers that has to do with the bigger picture i.e. state of airline's health, new routes, etc.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 9:56 am

Programs: DLPlat;AA,BA,US
Talking Thanks...

Originally Posted by socrates
Yes NWA gives every shareholder a 10K every year as it is required by law....but note that a 10K is a financial report....there are no perks granted shareholders
Thank you Socrates for the clarification...
These days I am not sure what all the abbreviations mean...
there are so many!
From time to time I have to ask...
So I guess I will be getting a 10k report from NWAC as a financial report...
Shucks...I thought I was on to something meaningful...like 10,000 miles :-)
TravelerJim
Old Apr 11, 2005, 10:32 am
mdb

RC,

Whatever your intentions(and I am sure they are for the best) - the thread in question was moved after comments negative to NW and after you had made a number of "defensive" of NWA comments.

I believe we are all welcome to express our opinions, it is just that this "move" didn't feel right. I believe that is what the OP is ultimately driving at.

Please note that I do appreciate your efforts as a Mod, but the moving of threads that are "going" negative tward NWA has happened before and I do not think that is right.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 11:46 am

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Threads should be moved for one reason only: topic not related to NW. If they contain a reference to a news item they still should remain.

Some recent threads that should have been moved:

Why do couples feel like they MUST sit together?
trips from hell
DTW (McNamara) Parking out of control
Air Marshals in F?

All of these really had nothing to do with NW directly. Even the DTW thread should have been moved to the DTW forum.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 12:08 pm

I missed a lot of "stuff" last week I was sick with the dreaded flu.

I guess I never knew that posts were moved. Is that what was said?
As for the comparison with other airline forums. This is pretty much the only one I visit. I only fly NWA and that's all I need to know.
I do appreciate the "heads-up" on things to come from anyone, moderator or not.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 1:02 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
Thumbs up A Topic is being established (stickied) in the NW Forum for Newsstand Links

I have a new topic being established here at the NWA Forum to place The Newsstand links to all NWA news stories.

Here's the link to the Topic:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...eferrerid=9787

This topic will allow all Fters to quickly find NWA news story posts.

Please note: Only post the Newsstand link, any further discussion will be deleted.

Radiocycle
NWA Moderator

Last edited by Radiocycle; Apr 11, 2005 at 1:34 pm
Old Apr 11, 2005, 1:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Radiocycle
I have a new topic being established here at the NWA Forum to place The Newsstand links to all NWA news stories.

This topic will allow all Fters to quickly find NWA news story posts.

Please note: Only post the Newsstand link, any further discussion will be deleted.

Radiocycle
NWA Moderator
A decent compromise solution. And thank you RC for being willing to listen to input from forum members. ^
Old Apr 11, 2005, 1:43 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; Hilton Diamond; Accor Gold
Agree that this is a great move. A bit like Spring cleaning!

What about the non-NWA related threads????
Old Apr 11, 2005, 2:33 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
I also would like to compliment the moderators on their efforts.
I think some believe that moderators only should intervene in the midst of flame wars but I agree with the owner of FT that a lot of what the moderators do (and need to do) is housecleaning, ie: moving items to their proper place.

StSebastian earlier in the thread asked for a crumb traiil and now it exists.

My only comment is that after a couple of days I move my eyes right past the stickies as fast as i possibly can to get to the meat. I know that we all can not have what we want but I for one would prefer to see the arrows saying moved for a thread and I then choose to follow it or not. IIRC either you or one of the other moderators used to do that or perhaps it is one of the moderators from one of the other FT forums.

I think that there is always going to be topics that are exceptions to the rule. The exceptions sometime have as many opinions of where a thread should be as there are posters. Over the years I have found that for the most part these threads happen to be topics of drivel. Someone has too much time on their hands and begins a thread. It doesn't matter where they are and for anyone to bring up a discussion as to where they should be IMO also has too much time on their hands. BTW when I have too much time on my hands I read them or even post in them.
Old Apr 11, 2005, 4:06 pm

I have ongoing concerns about the moderation of this forum, particularly as it pertains to discussions about Northwest's failures or weaknesses. Often, one moderator in particular defends NW vehemently in a thread and then later shuttles these threads to other, lesser-read forums, without so much as a trace here.

This moderator also frequently posts what could best be described as "inside information" -- things that are coming down the pike (i.e. information not generally available to the rest of us.

My concern is that one or more moderators have some sort of financial connection with NW (beyond that of the rest of us, i.e. mileage equity) that clouds their objectivity in moderating the forum. It would be difficult to explain the behavior otherwise...particularly when off-topic posts are allowed to remain for days and months. (In other words, it's not simply the case of zealous or overzealous moderation generally, but seems specifically targeted at negative discussion of Northwest as a company.)

I know that there are others that share this concern.

It would be helpful for all of us if we have a clear understanding of who is moderating this forum...would the moderators mind disclosing:

1. If any of them (or immediate family members) work for Northwest, affiliated company, or other airline.

2. If any of them (or immediate family members) own significant shares in Northwest.

I apologize if this seems like I'm 'calling someone out,' it is not my intention, but rather I think that we're all entitled to know any alterior motives for rather odd moderation of the forum.

Thanks
Good post, very provocative! It never ceases to amaze me that it is possible to have a thread on “Are Priest’s flying in F for free” but when there is a post that does not show NW in a positive light one particular moderator will take his ball and go home.

As another poster so poignantly pointed out, these posts are only moved after said moderator replies a few times to the original????? @:-) @:-) Why not move them as soon as you realize they are out of complience instead of replying 3 or 4 times then removing them?????

Last edited by TRVLRZ; Apr 11, 2005 at 4:11 pm
Old Apr 11, 2005, 6:16 pm
R
formerly PrePress420

Originally Posted by magic111
I think that there is always going to be topics that are exceptions to the rule. The exceptions sometime have as many opinions of where a thread should be as there are posters. Over the years I have found that for the most part these threads happen to be topics of drivel. Someone has too much time on their hands and begins a thread. It doesn't matter where they are and for anyone to bring up a discussion as to where they should be IMO also has too much time on their hands. BTW when I have too much time on my hands I read them or even post in them.

what you said-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.