Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why must all gifts be posted in CC?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2005, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by blue2002
Perhaps because Punki rightly guessed that more people would like to see Randy's take on it?
Punki stated she posted because Randy didn't reply to her emails. However you might well be correct and there may be a deeper component to this thread. <shrug>

Last edited by birdstrike; Feb 6, 2005 at 10:51 pm
Old Feb 6, 2005, 11:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Morrissey
You really need to seek some sort of counseling...I feel sorry for you.
Is this type of comment really necessary? I thought such personal comments about another FTer were against TOS.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tcook052

Is this type of comment really necessary? I thought such personal comments about another FTer were against TOS.
They are.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is it governed by quarterly moon cycles, major sports championships, or what????
Old Feb 7, 2005, 6:54 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
bridstrike writes:

Punki stated she posted because Randy didn't reply to her emails.
What I actually said was:

Well, mostly because he doesn't really read and/or answer all of his e-mail.
I have received many e-mails from Randy on lots of different subjects, but he really doesn't answer all of the e-mail he receives. I can certainly empathize with him. I don't actually read and/or answer all of my e-mail and I would imagine that Randy probably gets a whole lot more than I do. He also probably builds up a lot more e-mails when he travels than I do as I always travel with a laptop and he doesn't.

Moreover, this is a serious issue that really upsets a lot of people who really would prefer to have the choice of offering gifts on Coupon Connection or within their individual programs or posting a news article that relates to a very specific program within that program. Many people honestly don't understand the logic of restricting specific program gifts and/or news articles from those specific programs. If Randy clearly stated his rationale, it might help them/us understand.

Last edited by Punki; Feb 7, 2005 at 7:21 am
Old Feb 7, 2005, 7:59 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
I believe the post was reported, but there is no indication under the user name of the poster that any action was taken.

Would the "super moderators" or "senior moderators" be authorized to take such action?
Old Feb 7, 2005, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Originally Posted by attorney28
I believe the post was reported, but there is no indication under the user name of the poster that any action was taken.

Would the "super moderators" or "senior moderators" be authorized to take such action?
I assume that any report-a-post in this forum would be sent to Randy. Posts that might otherwise receive action by a moderator in another forum, I leave to Randy in this forum (unless he asks for assistance or directs otherwise).

That statement doesn't necessary apply to fake handles created to troll or to spam.

While Randy's schedule sometimes delays his response to items here (and sometimes I wish there were fewer items for him to deal with here, so that he might respond more often substantively in other areas of Flyertalk!) I leave it to him to judge the actions of members in his own living room (this forum).

I apologize if that's an unsatisfying response. But honestly I'm just getting a feel for my own boundaries in this role, and don't want to overstep them.

Regards,
Gary
aka gleff
"Senior Moderator" and
moderator, MilesBuzz and Delta forums
Old Feb 7, 2005, 9:10 am

Programs: LH HON,BA GGL GfL,Hyatt LT Glob,Mrtt LT P,Hilt LT D,IC Amb,Acc P,GHA Tit,LHW Strlg,Sixt/Av/Hz D/Pres
Originally Posted by gleff
I assume that any report-a-post in this forum would be sent to Randy. Posts that might otherwise receive action by a moderator in another forum, I leave to Randy in this forum (unless he asks for assistance or directs otherwise).

That statement doesn't necessary apply to fake handles created to troll or to spam.
Thanks for the info, gleff. If I understand correctly, you are saying you could do it (technically have the power to do so), but you will not because it is Randy's forum, unless instructed otherwise. So you do not receive the "report-a-post" messages from this forum here? I thought the "senior moderators" would get those from all fora?

Sorry for being a bit off-topic, but who are the "super moderators"/"senior moderators" at this point, and what does it mean exactly - what are their competencies? Was there an announcement?
Old Feb 7, 2005, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Unhappy

Yes, such comments are sometimes necessary. I would say that anyone who is so obsessed over such a trivial issue has a problem. Not only that, Punki has implied repeatedly that Randy's policy on posting these offers in CC only is "illogical", thereby implying that he doesn't know what he's doing. I consider that to be a personal attack (on our host no less).
Old Feb 7, 2005, 9:47 am

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by Morrissey
Yes, such comments are sometimes necessary. I would say that anyone who is so obsessed over such a trivial issue has a problem. Not only that, Punki has implied repeatedly that Randy's policy on posting these offers in CC only is "illogical", thereby implying that he doesn't know what he's doing. I consider that to be a personal attack (on our host no less).
Opposition to a particular policy doesn't make one mentally unbalanced, despite your diagnosis. I trust RP will agree upon his return.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 10:32 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
It appears that this may be a new concept for some of you, but disagreeing with someone on a particular point does not constitute mental instability, nor does it constitute a personal attack.

Restricting posts that relate to a specific program from being posted within that program is counter-intuitive. That is why the subject comes up again and again, and will continue to do so.

Most people, like me, will simply find other venues for offering gifts. Unfortunately, some will get upset enough at what they veiw as excessive moderation to leave FlyerTalk. If a simple explanation the the rule can keep people from leaving, then that sounds like a good thing to me.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Hilton Diamond
Opposition to a particular policy doesn't make one mentally unbalanced, despite your diagnosis. I trust RP will agree upon his return.
I'm not talking about simple opposition, I'm talking about obsession. Big difference.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 11:25 am

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by gleff
But honestly I'm just getting a feel for my own boundaries in this role, and don't want to overstep them.
Gleff, I understand your position and appreciate it but ORP is in a particularly precarious position.

For quite a long time it was the place on FlyerTalk to launch attacks on other posters. This stopped when wharvey became the moderator and IMHO it became a much healthier forum.

The particular post in question here, which stated in its entirety, "You really need to seek some sort of counseling...I feel sorry for you" served absolutely no constructive purpose nor did it add anything to the discussion.

I did not know that anyone else had reported it and thus did so myself. By reading comments above, I can see that I was not the only one.

If such posts are going to wait until Randy can give them his attention, ORP will return to its former "Let's swap insults" status and that will not be a happy development.
Old Feb 7, 2005, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Punki
Most people, like me, will simply find other venues for offering gifts.
Yet doing so would deprive you of the precious opportunity to beat the dead cow that is this topic and your perception of inappropriate moderation. Which is why I predict a few more years of this:

I don't know how to respond to these inquiries because I actually don't understand the new philosophy, but I do know that whatever it is, it seems to be driving new (and even some not so new) posters away.
And on it goes...
Old Feb 7, 2005, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SMessier
And on it goes...
If only those who can't abide by the simple rules that Randy has set would actually leave-- instead of repeatedly threatening to do so-- FT would undoubtedly be a better, more productive, calmer place. No one is irreplaceable here (except Randy, of course) no matter how inflated their sense of importance to FT is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.