Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pill-Popping Pundit To Divorce

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2004, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JeffS
Ya gotta love threads like these. As of this post no one has yet to "testify" as to what, or anything, Limbaugh has ever said about marriage. But it sure doesn't stop 'em from pontificating on high.

This thread is another great example of the Omni cheap shot.
Aww...Yet another personal hero who fell short of the standards he set for everyone but himself? Don't worry, you will find someone else. I am sure.

Here are the real reasons for Rush's latest divorce: [credit goes to someone who I do not know but who knows someone I do know who has me in their OE address book and thus keeps forwarding these things to me]

10. The Gay Marriage.
9. Other nefarious influences of The Gay.
8. Pills.
7. Scientific inaccuracy in "The Day After Tomorrow"
6. The way Ronald Reagan's life was tragically cut short in the prime of his 90's.
5. One of the doctors who gave him pills acted pretty gay.
4. Feminism turned her uppity.
3. Gay pills.
2. Those missing tubes of cookie dough.
1. The Poor Man's lamentable decision to abandon the jolly humor of old for unfunny shrillness
Old Jun 13, 2004, 2:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA MM Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by anrkitec
Aww...Yet another personal hero who fell short of the standards he set for everyone but himself? Don't worry, you will find someone else. I am sure.
I see that that there are enough assumptions to go around for everyone today.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Have the Bushists lost the moral high-ground on family values? Or are these just more examples of "family value" hypocrites?
Republicans don't lose the high ground on any issue merely because of the personal failings of one Republican. I mean, do you liberals/Democrats lose your high ground on issues like the environment because one Democrat drives a SUV or the alleged mistake in invading Iraq because one Democrat supported the invasion? Didn't think so. So why should we care if Rush Limbaugh is a hypocrite? Didn't we already know that?
Old Jun 13, 2004, 4:29 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Yaatri
Characteristics of his listeners and supporters.

1. Can't think for themselves.
2. They have to have his talking points/sermons on a daily basis.
4. They do not read nor do they watch anything but Fox News since the media has liberal bias.
5. No more than high school in education, even if they went to college.
6. The monment you raise a quesion about Bush, Reagan or GOP, they immediately go into convulsions which makes them call you anti-American.
7. Main issues, prayer in schools, anyti abortion, anti-gay.
8. Foreign Policy---Blow them up. We are the Baaaaaadest and the meanest.
9. Have an aversion to truth.
10. Abilty to analyse isuues spans laying blame al the way back to Jimmy Carter if blaming Clintons doesn't work, that is.
Where do you get this information? I don't listen to Rush personally unless I am late for work () but those who I know tune don't share any of the above characteristics. They are mostly my male vendors, college-educated, usually graduate school as well and well-informed on economic and world issues. Also happen to be in their cars a lot between appointments so they tune in. Rush is simply another point-of-view. He was once VERY funny but now seems to mostly talk about boring golf, football, cats and such.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by cAAl
Republicans don't lose the high ground on any issue merely because of the personal failings of one Republican. I mean, do you liberals/Democrats lose your high ground on issues like the environment because one Democrat drives a SUV or the alleged mistake in invading Iraq because one Democrat supported the invasion? Didn't think so. So why should we care if Rush Limbaugh is a hypocrite? Didn't we already know that?
Rush Limbaugh (like much of the "morality"-thumping crowd) are hypocrites who selectively apply their morality and pay lipservice to things they don't believe in. The Bush family is no different. Given the choice of having sleazy/slutty daughters like the Bush girls or a daughter like the Clintons, I choose the Clinton daughter.

There is no monopoloy of morality on either side of the political fence, but the right-wing tries to sell themselves as having the high moral ground when in their personal and public lives that is not true. Thus, those who most sell that which they themselves do not practice (e.g., morality) are most likely to be amongst the crowd of hypocrites.
Old Jun 13, 2004, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus

4. They do not read nor do they watch anything but Fox News since the media has liberal bias.
6. The monment you raise a quesion about Bush, Reagan or GOP, they immediately go into convulsions which makes them call you anti-American.
10. Abilty to analyse isuues spans laying blame al the way back to Jimmy Carter if blaming Clintons doesn't work, that is.
In a heated debate about the war in Iraq with a Rushie one evening, I finally became exasperated at my verbal sparring partner's inability to understand my point of view in any way shape or form. She became completely disarmed once I asked her, "Don't you have any original thoughts, or can you only regurgitate things from the Rush Limbaugh show?" She did, by the way, match perfectly most of the categories listed above.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Jun 13, 2004 at 10:07 pm
Old Jun 13, 2004, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A W E S O M E

I'm sure you could go on to make a top 250, but these 10 are the best
Old Jun 13, 2004, 10:13 pm

Rush "Marriage is a responsibility."

for those of you who asked, here's an excerpt of what Rush has said about marriage and divorce:

March 15, 1993:

LIMBAUGH: (Voiceover) During the same 30-year period, a 560 percent increase in violent crime, a 419 percent increase in illegitimate births, a quadrupling in divorce rates, a tripling of the percentage of children living in single-parent homes, more than a 200 percent increase in teen-age suicide rate and a drop of almost 80 points in SAT scores.

You know what we have? We have a behavioral problem. We have a love problem. We have a spiritual problem. We're spending more money than this country ever thought it would have on all these problems, government trying to take care of all these problems. This can be shown--may, in fact, be leading to the--to the deterioration of some of our cultural strengths. There's no question about when people like Marian Wright Edelman say more money, more money, what we ought to say is, You've got enough money. You have plenty enough money. Why don't you let us get involved with teaching values, teaching right and wrong again instead of just throwing money at the problems so you can be in power?' That's...

April 26, 1994:

LIMBAUGH: See, we're all laughing. It was funny. It was supposed to be funny, and the press thinks this stuff is just uncalled for and mean-spirited. And the reason we're showing you all this is--is just to once again illustrate how many in the press corps just cannot take at all what they dish out.

You know, I mean, I have always wanted to do a profile on somebody in the press. Pick your favorite reporter. Who had a--look, Connie Chung--let's do a profile. How many divorces has Connie had? Did she ever do drugs when she was in high school? How many illegitimate children has she ever had? This kind of stuff--the stuff they ask about everybody they cover--the stuff they get--let's find out who these people are. Let's call up and say, You know, we're going to call everybody you've ever worked with. And we're going to get all kinds of information about you. We can't'--they panic. That's what they do every day.

Now we have--we have some other samples of the president--by the way, I don't know if--Connie Chung--she's a nice woman--I just--first name I thought of--I don't know any of that. I'm not suggesting anything by it, so please, it's just--you know, I could have said Sam Donaldson, and how many illegitimate children has he had? I could have said, you know--any--I could have brought up anybody. I don't--I don't mean to associate any of that with any particular person. I really, really don't.

This is called, Don't call our lawyers.' I just--you know, I just grabbed a name out of the top--you know, about myself, you know--I could have said it. So the president then decided that he was going to have some fun with Time magazine, which--Time magazine was pretty tough on him over the course of the campaign, and the first year and a half of his presidency, and here's how he chose to have some fun with Time and himself. Watch this.

September 24, 1993:

So, the basic disagreement, and the--one of the primary reasons for divorce or unhappiness in a relationship, is that a woman who's deriving--she--she wants the husband to think of her first, think of the kids first, think of the house first. Foremost; first, second, third; he's thinking of his career. That's where he gets his self-esteem and if he doesn't think of the career and doing well and climbing the ladder, she's not going to be happy with that either.

August 25, 1994:
[criticizing Arkansas]
LIMBAUGH: (Voiceover) And finally, the highest, number one state in divorce rate in 1991.

So we think it was a valid question, President Clinton, and it doesn't matter where you started. It hasn't gotten much better.

July 16, 1996:

[from the childless Limbaugh]
Marriage is simply the way humanity has discovered that it is the best way to build a building block of an orderly society and sustain it. That's all it is. It is also the means by which you produce legitimate offspring. And I--and I've--whatever else Barney and his mate do, they cannot do that. And that's the soul purpose--now look, we're devaluing marriage--a lot of divorce. Got to fix that. There is way, way too much illegitimacy in this country, and it's leading to the crime rate. This business of the gay marriage is nothing more than a money grab, in my opinion, so people can get on the welfare rolls or the benefit rolls, in state offices and other--and other places.

I--I really do not even think marriage is a right. Marriage is a responsibility. It's not a gift that somebody says, Hey, now it's time for you to get married. It's our bestowal to you.' It's--it's a--it's a commitment that you make and it is a responsibility that you accept. And it's--to--to be--to be tossed around in this manner is to devalue it, which is to devalue the fundamental building block of our society. And I think that's what's wrong with this whole process of same-sex marriage. It just simply denies the definition of what the institution is.

August 8, 1996:

[Limbaugh began his correspondence with his soon to be ex wife on Compuserve. She was married at the time.]:
Well, you wonder--you know, when you see the story and you say, Well, this is crazy. Couch potatoes.' But it--they may have a point. Because look at--look at this headline. This is from the New York Post last Friday: My wife's a cyberslut! New Jersey man seeks divorce for computer adultery.' These two people are so lazy, they're having an affair on a computer. So maybe the surgeon general's office has a point here. I mean, i--if people are sitting around--and they are so lazy, ladies and gentlemen, they can't even get off their duffs to go look at each other. They're just typing words. I mean, the most exercise they're getting is finger exercise on a keyboard. So I don't know. Maybe--maybe you should put those warnings on computer screens as well.
Found @ http://atrios.blogspot.com/2004_06_0...05675507435219
Old Jun 14, 2004, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Rush Limbaugh (like much of the "morality"-thumping crowd) are hypocrites who selectively apply their morality and pay lipservice to things they don't believe in.
What the heck does this gibberish mean? What part of "Rush Limbaugh is not the High Priest of Conservatism" do you not understand? The morality of a group of relatively conservative citizens does not rise or fall on the shortcomings of any one individual.

The Bush family is no different. Given the choice of having sleazy/slutty daughters like the Bush girls or a daughter like the Clintons, I choose the Clinton daughter.
The Bush daughters are "sleazy/slutty"? Your comment is vile and reprehensible, and you should be ashamed to associate your name with such an epithet. Au revoir, as I shall exit stage left from this thread post haste; there's absolutely no reason to continue debating somebody who's judgment and decorum is so impaired as to take a cowardly and crass potshot at the daugters of the President of the United States. You don't like the Prez, fine, but what the heck did his daughters ever do to you to warrant this kind of invective?
Old Jun 14, 2004, 12:35 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
What the heck does this gibberish mean? What part of "Rush Limbaugh is not the High Priest of Conservatism" do you not understand? The morality of a group of relatively conservative citizens does not rise or fall on the shortcomings of any one individual.
What part of he is a "high priest of conservatism" does not register with you? Rush Limbaugh was and is a high priest of the Clinton-bashing, Bush-can-do-no-wrong crowd; there is little doubt about such.

The morality of a group may not necessarily be represented by an individual leader; however, the failings of the leaders do reflect upon followers who cannot be but hypocrites when they excuse or ignore the behavior of the leader of a group that publicly tries to lay claim to that which said group's own organized leadership fails to deliver.

The Bush daughters are "sleazy/slutty"? Your comment is vile and reprehensible, and you should be ashamed to associate your name with such an epithet.
Can I help it if the morality of the Bush Administration is in question vis-a-vis similar standards applied by Rush Limbaugh to the Clinton and Gore families?

Au revoir, as I shall exit stage left from this thread post haste; there's absolutely no reason to continue debating somebody who's judgment and decorum is so impaired as to take a cowardly and crass potshot at the daugters of the President of the United States. You don't like the Prez, fine, but what the heck did his daughters ever do to you to warrant this kind of invective?
His daughters have entered the public domain by joining his campaign. I bring them and their behavior up principally because the self-promoting, faith-based "moral police" (Bushists) ought to get their own house in order before telling others what to do and not do. Can I help it if the Bush daughters are sexual libertines who love a drink or took a drug (father like daughters -- includes the Gore daughters too in the case of one drug)?
Old Jun 14, 2004, 6:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

His daughters have entered the public domain by joining his campaign. I bring them and their behavior up principally because the self-promoting, faith-based "moral police" (Bushists) ought to get their own house in order before telling others what to do and not do. Can I help it if the Bush daughters are sexual libertines who love a drink or took a drug (father like daughters -- includes the Gore daughters too in the case of one drug)?
Not to mention the fact that Rush himself is [in]famous for putting up a photo of Chelsea Clinton on his show and calling her a "dog" even though her parents kept her out of the political spotlight at the time.

Yup, if the Bush daughters want to play the game and stump for daddy then they have to be willing to take their shots as well. Fair or not that is the way the game is played. Same goes for Kerry's daughter.

Then again, whether or not Chelsea is a "dog" is, I suppose up for debate while the assertion that the Bush girls are a couple of drunken carousers seems to be supported by the facts.

Hey, like father like daughters. Then again they do have, by example, till sometime in their forties to clean-up.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 6:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Though I find the language here as applied to Bush's daughters a bit harsh and offensive, I'm reminded of how Mary Cheney, Dick Cheney's openly lesbian daughter, was marketed to the gay and lesbian community prior to the last election as a sort of ombudswoman to a future Bush/Cheney administration. Many gays and lesbians then turned out to vote for Bush/Cheney, but Mary hasn't really lived up fully to her promised role, and in fact, her reticence about the Federal Marriage Amendment has raised charges that she is being irresponsible to those gays and lesbians whose fears were assuaged by the "Mary Cheney, lesbian ombudswoman," rhetoric.

Now Cheney says, leave Mary out of this. Well, then, what do they say to the gays and lesbians who did vote for Bush/Cheney due, in part, to that fact??? Tough? Repent - the end is near?

Moral of the story: if you get involved in a political campaign like that, people are going to ask you hard questions and hold you accountable, no matter who you are.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 8:53 am
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by anrkitec
Not to mention the fact that Rush himself is [in]famous for putting up a photo of Chelsea Clinton on his show and calling her a "dog" even though her parents kept her out of the political spotlight at the time.
Please "mention the fact" that Rush apologized for this incident on his short-lived TV show at great length on the radio. He claimed, possibly even truthfully, that his slides got scrambled.
Old Jun 14, 2004, 9:11 am
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by littleleaguemom
Please "mention the fact" that Rush apologized for this incident on his short-lived TV show at great length on the radio. He claimed, possibly even truthfully, that his slides got scrambled.
Yeah right

If the slides got scrambled, he should have immediately apologized.

Here is what my web search shows up:

Although the remark was immediately condemned, it took Limbaugh 10 years to have the decency to apologize, telling Hillary Clinton in December 2002 that he regretted making "a personal attack upon an innocent girl."
Could you rebut this? Which radio show did Rush apologize on?
Old Jun 14, 2004, 10:41 am
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PG
Yeah right

If the slides got scrambled, he should have immediately apologized.

Here is what my web search shows up:

Could you rebut this? Which radio show did Rush apologize on?
His own. I personally heard it, as did millions of others. Claimed he wasn't aware during the show that Millie "cute dog in the White House" was swapped with Chelsea "cute daughter in the White House." Never saw his show so I can't comment if this is probable but he must have been taking heavy heat from listeners to go into such a long-winded apology.

Why do not post the source for your "web research." Did it come from the same place where GU discovered that the Bush daughters are "sexual libertines"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.