Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Misposted Threads
Reload this Page >

TSA shoved me, called me a "d**k head", and threatend to kill me!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2003, 11:17 pm
Original Poster

Location: CO Plat (former), US Gold (former), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Silver (former)

This happend at CO terminal C going to a CO flight.
Today I was traveling through Newark airport, I travel through this airport twice a week every week. I cleared through security and was heading toward my gate. By one of the closed security check points there were gathered a "gang" of 60 TSA agents having a meeting to update the "shoe" rules. I was standing on a walkway infront of the tv screens for arrivals and departures and I wanted to overhear the new rules. The man conducting the meeting saw me, as I stood in the public walkway, and said what I was doing. I said I was listening. He said this was a private meeting and to move along. I said this is a public space, I have every right to stand here and will not move and if he wants a private meeting not to hold it in a pubic area. Well we basically said the same things to each other a few times and he saw I wasn't going to move, so he went on with his meeting. Then his TSA thugs came over and harrased me. One invaded my personal space and stood right in front of me to block me view, saying "its a public space right" ( a true mark of the professional attitude). Another agent came by and said if I did not move they'd have to kill me! No joke. Another agent came by and asked me what country I was from. I'm not white, he was, and I feel he was playing a racial angle and he called me a "d*ck head". When the meeting ended, I kept my eye on this last TSA agent, he ran right into me intentionally shoving me. I knew he was trying to bait me, but I didn't take the bait. I took this man's name and badge # and the man who threated to kill me's badge #. At the end of the meeting the other 57 TSA agent taunted me saying, you want to join us in the back room?
I am planning to file a complaint with the TSA in Washington, the TSA in newark, the District Attorney in Newark, and the ACLU tomorrow. I belive since this was all on a walkway behind a check point that it is on airport video tape. I will not have my right to stand in a public space that I pay for taken way from me from the TSA SS storm troopers.
Besides the actions I have outlined, what should I do? Anyone have advice to contact the media or a lawyer who specializes in these matters? Thanks and stand up to oppression.

------------------
Old Aug 17, 2003, 11:55 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
hmmm this should be interesting... I'm sure any lawyer would have a field day with this and do it pro bono, esp if its caught on tape...
Old Aug 18, 2003, 12:08 am

what an over exaggeration!!!!
there isnt enough room at the checkpoints for
60 tsa agents to have a meeting there
second of all i really doubt that they shoved you around with all the pax that pass through any of the checkpoints at term c
furthermore if any of this did happen you should have reported it to the police as harrassment or if you stretched the story this far simple assault
Old Aug 18, 2003, 12:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Despite the credibility of this story, if it's what you truly say, I'd think informing the media is most appropriate. Even if there weren't 60 TSA individuals standing around the security checkpoint in Term. C, what the two men said to you was unprofessional.

Here is a somewhat related thread that will inform you of the course of action you should take if you indeed wish to do so:

http://www.flyertalk.com/pasttalk/ft...ML/011955.html

Aloha and keep us posted.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 5:56 am

EWR terminal C is filled with uniformed policemen with stations all around. You should have contacted one of them, come back and file complaints against each of the TSA agents that harassed you.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 7:41 am

Welcome to NYC
Old Aug 18, 2003, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Definitely contact some media outlets & file complaints. The TSA's hiring standards are low & they are hiring a bunch of thugs to work the airport. Totally unprofessional conduct - but hey, you were in NJ.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 8:50 am

Maybe I'm the D-head here, but, I think you should have minded your own business and you would not be in that situation.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 9:10 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, IHG Platinum, Accor Silver, Choice Privileges Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cabolew:
Maybe I'm the D-head here, but, I think you should have minded your own business and you would not be in that situation.</font>
As the story is told, s/he *did* mind her/his business. Having said that, I'm having trouble believing this story. tls
Old Aug 18, 2003, 9:21 am

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
I ain't surprised at the TSA goons response, I wouldda kept my eyes on the TV monitors, and kept listening, if they said anything, would just have said that my flights gate keeps changing. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

snake's advice:

Get on with your life, and don't annoy the animals.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 9:31 am
Suspended

Location: Promoted to Chairman of the Most Wonderful Continental Airlines Highly Valuable OnePass Program Security and Ideological Purity Bureau
While I have no comment on this particular situation, it is often best to give wide berth to security personnel at all times. I would also recommend not trying to give the appearance of surveillance -- it raises the ire of every security service that I'm aware of.

------------------
All those who fly Continental Airlines, raise your hands.
The rest of you, raise your standards.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA just 8800 mi short of Silver
Ahh, the old axiom-- There are always 2 sides to every story
Old Aug 18, 2003, 11:39 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by thelostshark:
As the story is told, s/he *did* mind her/his business. Having said that, I'm having trouble believing this story. tls</font>
Minding one's own business does not include eavesdropping on a conversation that has absolutely nothing to do with you. Whether or not this person was in a public space, he/she was eavesdropping on a conversation that he/she had no business hearing. It is true that the TSA folks could have had their meeting somewhere else.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 11:50 am

The actions of the TSA agents were unacceptable; however, I would concur that eavesdropping was probably not a great idea. Was it any more or less professional than the name calling by the TSA's? By standing your ground, one might argue that this provoked the TSA's.

In any case, I would pursue the matter.
Old Aug 18, 2003, 12:27 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I'm with snake & avekoo on this one. Given the heightened security I wouldn't want to arouse the suspisions/ire of any part of the security force at an airport. You should not have admitted listening in, even if they were speaking in a public space. For all you know, they could have had you arrested, or at the least detained. So yes, I think you were in the wrong for making a big deal about it-- you should have kept quiet. Also remember, as you say, you go through that airport a lot & are sure to 'run' into some of thosse TSA's who can easily (and legally) stop you for that extra search at any point in the future. So while many on this board will say get a lawyer, sue, contact the newspapers--I say, let it go.

[This message has been edited by mauld (edited 08-18-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.