Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage bomb hoax lands couple in jail

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2003, 2:08 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Luggage bomb hoax lands couple in jail

cnn.com Article

"A Maine couple's attempt to make a political statement by rigging up a fake bomb in their checked luggage led to their arrest, officials said Thursday.

Screeners also found a note that read, "To the uniformed puppet opening this bag -- congratulations. You've just brought this once free nation one step closer to becoming a fascist police state," according to Transportation Security Administration spokesman Robert Johnson. The note was scribbled on one side of the cardboard torn from a box of Cracklin' Oat Bran."

Can't say I agree with their method, but I definitely agree with their message.

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Jan 9, 2003, 2:21 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
A court will have an interesting time deciding whether this is protected political speech. IMHO the government will have to prove that the hoax bomb was actually dangerous rather than presumably dangerous.

This is different from a telephoned or mailed bomb threat which is actually intended to alarm the public, in that you need to have an X-ray machine to be aware of the hoax in the first place.
Old Jan 9, 2003, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've put a statement with essentially the same content in my checked bags - right on top - since Jan 1, and twice the statement has disappeared, replaced with the TSA "We searched your bag cause our toy MRI machines couldn't tell the difference between your clothes, books and food and a bomb" notice. Of course, I didn't include any fake bombs - just the political message. Screw the TSA and all who work for it.
Old Jan 9, 2003, 2:54 pm

Location: Europe - LH Sen; BA Silver; US SPref; *wd Plat, Hilton Gld
Sorry, but rather a search than a bomb. Definetely.
Old Jan 9, 2003, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NorthernAtlanticRacer:
Sorry, but rather a search than a bomb. Definetely. </font>
Something in USA Today last week... I dont remember exactly, but there have been 5-6 bombings in 20 years.

I don't want to be on one of the targeted planes, but we are wasting a lot of time and money when this coud all be done more efficiently
Old Jan 9, 2003, 4:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
I hope that, while in jail, they are compelled to reimburse the government for all of our tax money that they wasted playing this silly and potentially dangerous game.

Symmetry... gotta love it.
Old Jan 9, 2003, 4:21 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FWAAA:
I've put a statement with essentially the same content in my checked bags - right on top - since Jan 1, and twice the statement has disappeared, replaced with the TSA "We searched your bag cause our toy MRI machines couldn't tell the difference between your clothes, books and food and a bomb" notice. Of course, I didn't include any fake bombs - just the political message. Screw the TSA and all who work for it.</font>

One can only hope that something in your suitcase with this message is one day mistaken for an intentional intent to "send or place a false or facsimile bomb."

After all, your views deserve the widest possible dissemination, and a court appearance would give you valuable publicity.
Old Jan 9, 2003, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichG:
A court will have an interesting time deciding whether this is protected political speech. IMHO the government will have to prove that the hoax bomb was actually dangerous rather than presumably dangerous.

This is different from a telephoned or mailed bomb threat which is actually intended to alarm the public, in that you need to have an X-ray machine to be aware of the hoax in the first place.
</font>
Yeah, this is a far cry from shouting "Fire!" in a crowded theater -- the classic example of unprotected speech. The courts will have trouble with this -- if they really do their job, which is questionable in these "war" times. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rolleyes.gif

Bruce
Old Jan 9, 2003, 4:28 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spiff:
"A Maine couple's attempt to make a political statement by rigging up a fake bomb in their checked luggage led to their arrest, officials said Thursday.</font>
Are you sure it wasn't a box of chocolates, or a bar of soap, or a fruit cake?
Old Jan 9, 2003, 4:45 pm

While I generally support Spiff's civil libertarian views, I think this couple could be in trouble.

If the government proves that they intentionally simulated the appearance of a bomb, I don't think that is protected speach. Also, it really was unfair to get the TSA screener's blood pressure up before he discovered the bomb was a fake.

That being said, I think some event or legal action needs to show the TSA its place. I think they are high on power, when in reality they are the same maginally skilled people who have always opeated the X-ray machines and magnetometers. The TSA is not the KGB. They must operate within the law and be respectful of the public they serve. This board has documented far to many abuses already.
Old Jan 9, 2003, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
I think the two deserve to have the book thrown at them. Good idea with the note, bad idea with the mock-bomb.

I have to admit that for years I've wanted to make up a note out of coat hangers (or something metal) and put it in my carry-on bag so the "security" person would see it -- Just "Hello" or something to freak them out.
Old Jan 9, 2003, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

It looks like some people are jumping to conclusions here. The story linked in this article does NOT say they had a fake bomb or even something that was made to look like a bomb. It does say there were batteries, wires, etc that LOOKED like it needed more checking. If the facts eventually indicate it was a fake bomb, etc. then they should get the book thrown at them.

On the other hand, if the items were normal and NOT a fake bomb, etc, and their only offense is the note, then the TSA was wrong. And if that is the case, then why should they be "thrown in jail"?

Why?
Old Jan 9, 2003, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hertz P Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I don't want to be on one of the targeted planes, but we are wasting a lot of time and money when this coud all be done more efficiently </font>
This is EXACTLY my view towards the couple from Maine. Why waste the taxpayer's time and money, and possibly causing unnecessary delays when they could have made their views known more efficiently, like many of us here?
Old Jan 9, 2003, 7:05 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NoStressHere:

It looks like some people are jumping to conclusions here. The story linked in this article does NOT say they had a fake bomb or even something that was made to look like a bomb. It does say there were batteries, wires, etc that LOOKED like it needed more checking. If the facts eventually indicate it was a fake bomb, etc. then they should get the book thrown at them.

On the other hand, if the items were normal and NOT a fake bomb, etc, and their only offense is the note, then the TSA was wrong. And if that is the case, then why should they be "thrown in jail"?

Why?
</font>
Probable cause is a *****, dude. Be prepared to pay ofr the consequences of your actions, including being detained and arrested.

They will get their day in court to explain.
Old Jan 9, 2003, 7:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I agree with Spiff. What a neat idea to include what we feel about TSA unobserved searches in our checked luggage. My next trip is next week. My bag will be full of my views -- and --

A gross sex toy of some sort --

One of my shirt pockets will contain some money. First, though, I need to find out what the dollar threshold is in Virginia for grand larcency (versus petty larceny). The shirt pocket will contain $Grand larceny amount + $1. I live for the day when I see the first TSA employee in an orange jumpsuit & handcuffs!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.