Luggage bomb hoax lands couple in jail

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage bomb hoax lands couple in jail

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2003, 8:00 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Guy Betsy:
I've heard that the bomb detection machines can't detect substances of heavy density.

Hmm. Me thinks an idea to pack some heavy heavy blue fermented cheese in large quantities.

Won't the screener be screaming for his/her life when he opens the bag and gets a whiff of the lovely cargo!

I think I'd throw in a couple kilos of DURIAN too. (DURIAN: SMELLY FRUIT , well at least to Western noses, FOUND ONLY IN THE FAR EAST)
</font>
According to the article "Fruit Causes Airport Chaos" in an Australian newspaper, you may have gotten your wish.

A Virgin Blue flight was delayed for four hours because someone had some durian in their checked luggage.

I do like the comment in the newspaper story attributed to one of the local authorities:

"Brisbane Magistrate Jim Herlihy yesterday suggested idiots were being confused with terrorists".

The URL of the newspaper piece is:

[URL=http://www.thecouriermail.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,5847998%255E421,00.html[/ URL]

(edited to fix a misspelling, then I started moving stuff around, too, and the link vanished -- it's one of THOSE days)

[This message has been edited by greggwiggins (edited 01-16-2003).]
Old Jan 16, 2003, 8:06 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
ooops. Please ignore.

[This message has been edited by greggwiggins (edited 01-16-2003).]
Old Jan 16, 2003, 9:40 am

If a person walks into a bank and implies that they have a weapon in their coat to a cashier, is this not a felony? same thing applies here folks. It is a law not to joke around about bombs.
Old Jan 16, 2003, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tsadude:
If a person walks into a bank and implies that they have a weapon in their coat to a cashier, is this not a felony? same thing applies here folks. It is a law not to joke around about bombs.</font>
And in what way did they joke about a bomb? Please elaborate, since the prosecutor thought otherwise.
Old Jan 16, 2003, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FWAAA:
And in what way did they joke about a bomb? Please elaborate, since the prosecutor thought otherwise.</font>
FWAAA, we are dealing with bloody noses and bruised egos here. The facts are, to some, irrelevant in this situation.

Old Jan 16, 2003, 10:25 am

When their bags were put through a bomb detection machine, federal screeners found what turned out to be a snow boot with batteries, wires and an electrical power strip arranged in a suspicious way.

Screeners also found a note that read, "To the uniformed puppet opening this bag -- congratulations. You've just brought this once free nation one step closer to becoming a fascist police state,"

I guess I was wrong to assume that this was a sick joke. But really what is happening is that the TSA is a covert United Nations New World Order special section with black helicopters ready to disram the whole country. Just joking. It is amazing that I (and many others)spent 21+ years in the military defending our constitution and freedom only to be spit on only because we are trying to keep travel safe as possible. I cannot speak for my fellow TSA counterparts, but I have experienced catostrophic events that left ugly memories. Sorry for caring for your safety. I do not have to do this job but I felt a responsibility because of my experiences to help out. By the way my wife also felt the same way and she is with the TSA also. There are people in this organization not just collecting a paycheck.
Old Jan 16, 2003, 10:28 am

Location: Commuting around the mid-atlantic and rust-belt on any number of RJs
Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
They were detained for suspicion. Simple as that. They were released when it was determined that there was insufficient evidence. Recasting this as being arrested for criticizing the government is utterly unsupported by any available facts. </font>
Except for the small fact that in the eyes of a "reasonable individual" (Eg, the district attorney in question) there was [i]no evidence of anything[/b]. Ergo, available facts.

What we have here is a reaction to speech critical of the government.

Papers please, comrade.

------------------
Saving the world, one clue at a time.
Old Jan 16, 2003, 10:34 am

Programs: TSA Random Selectee Platinum, * Gold, SPG/HH/MR mid-tier, and a tiny bag of pretzels.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tsadude:
It is amazing that I (and many others)spent 21+ years in the military defending our constitution and freedom only to be spit on only because we are trying to keep travel safe as possible.</font>
Don't confuse the two. The former is a noble and thankless occupation worthy of the respect and support of a grateful nation.

The latter is not (the TSA).

It's not the frontline folks fault. I don't blame the troops. In the TSA's case, its the REMFs who are the root cause of the problem.

http://lists.village.virginia.edu/sixties/HTML_docs/Resources/Glossary/Sixties_Term_Gloss_Q_T.html#Letter%20'R' jas the definition for REMF for those not in the know--I know that the FT censor won't let it thru.

------------------
Old Jan 16, 2003, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ClueByFour:
Except for the small fact that in the eyes of a "reasonable individual" (Eg, the district attorney in question) there was [i]no evidence of anything. Ergo, available facts.

What we have here is a reaction to speech critical of the government.

Papers please, comrade.

[/B]</font>
The job of the police is to detain people whose conduct may be criminal. The job of the DA is to review the evidence and see if charges are warranted. This goes on every day, many thousands of times.

In a real percentage of cases, evidence is inadequate to support the contemplated charge, and the person is released. This is the law, and how the system works.

Please don't confuse your own deeply held view about the actions these people took,
and the law, which was followed scrupulously.
Old Jan 16, 2003, 11:15 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ClueByFour:
Don't confuse the two. The former is a noble and thankless occupation worthy of the respect and support of a grateful nation.

The latter is not (the TSA).

It's not the frontline folks fault. I don't blame the troops. In the TSA's case, its the REMFs who are the root cause of the problem.

http://lists.village.virginia.edu/sixties/HTML_docs/Resources/G lossary/Sixties_Term_Gloss_Q_T.html#Letter%20'R' jas the definition for REMF for those not in the know--I know that the FT censor won't let it thru.

</font>
You have the REMF part right, and plenty of them.
Old Jan 16, 2003, 11:25 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:
The job of the police is to detain people whose conduct may be criminal. The job of the DA is to review the evidence and see if charges are warranted. This goes on every day, many thousands of times.

In a real percentage of cases, evidence is inadequate to support the contemplated charge, and the person is released. This is the law, and how the system works.

Please don't confuse your own deeply held view about the actions these people took,
and the law, which was followed scrupulously.
</font>
In this case, the evidence was lacking from the get go.

I come from a family of judges, laywers, and, in one case, a officer of a local DA's office. I can tell you that if a cop in this part of the world showed up with that kind of crap (eg, the "evidence" in this case) at so much as a preliminary hearing before a district justice, he/she would be laughed out of court. I don't know how things work locally in SJC, but I'm betting the DA got one look at this and did not feel like making an @ss of him/herself in front of a DJ and/or grand jury.

Don't preach to us about how the process is supposed to work--I know how it works, and can smell bu!!$h!t when it comes around. This is one of those times.

------------------
Old Jan 16, 2003, 11:52 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Take care that you're not one of the asphalt spreaders.

Thanks for serving in the military but no thanks for 'serving' in the TSA. As CB4 pointed out, the two have nothing to do with each other.

Suppose you tried to keep people safe by closing the airports. Problem solved, no deaths while flying. Everyone's safe. However, it's a unacceptable solution as no one wants that kind of safety. Your organization forces a level of "safety" on many of us who do not want to be "protected" in that manner any more than they want you to keep us safe by closing the airports.

It is amazing that I (and many others)spent 21+ years in the military defending our constitution and freedom only to be spit on only because we are trying to keep travel safe as possible. I cannot speak for my fellow TSA counterparts, but I have experienced catostrophic events that left ugly memories. Sorry for caring for your safety. I do not have to do this job but I felt a responsibility because of my experiences to help out. By the way my wife also felt the same way and she is with the TSA also. There are people in this organization not just collecting a paycheck.</font>

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Jan 16, 2003, 1:09 pm
Suspended

In this case, the evidence was lacking from the get go.

I come from a family of judges, laywers, and, in one case, a officer of a local DA's office. I can tell you that if a cop in this part of the world showed up with that kind of crap (eg, the "evidence" in this case) at so much as a preliminary hearing before a district justice, he/she would be laughed out of court. I don't know how things work locally in SJC, but I'm betting the DA got one look at this and did not feel like making an @ss of him/herself in front of a DJ and/or grand jury.

Don't preach to us about how the process is supposed to work--I know how it works, and can smell bu!!$h!t when it comes around. This is one of those times.

</font>
Unless ou were there, you have no basis to make that statement. You may suppose it, and I may suppose something different.

Because I am not paranoid about law enforcement, I tend to think that they would not waste their own time and risk censure for an arrest with no substance behind it. You may disagree, but that is opinion, not fact.

[This message has been edited by Brian (edited 01-16-2003).]
Old Jan 16, 2003, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
In this case, the risk of censure was pretty close to zero, so you might want to reconsider your statement.

Bruce
Old Jan 16, 2003, 2:01 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
In this case, the risk of censure was pretty close to zero, so you might want to reconsider your statement.

Bruce
</font>
I ear you Bruce, but if you are a police office and bring in a completely B.S. case that gets tossed, I think there is a very real risk of getting read out pretty well by your supervisor. There are standards for these kinds of things.

I am not saying that it could never happen.. it is possible, even in this case. But stating it as fact ("In this case, the evidence was lacking from the get go.") is an unwarranted assumption that could not reasonably made from published reports, even assuming the reports were completely true and accurate, which is unknown.

It is the entire "black and white" mentality that I find uncalled for.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.