Luggage bomb hoax lands couple in jail

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage bomb hoax lands couple in jail

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2003, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SinJin:
NoStressHere, according to Spiff's post and quoting the CNN piece, the couple "rigged up a fake bomb in their checked luggage" and added a note.

Even a fake bomb is frowned upon by ALL law enforcement agencies and normal citizens.
Would like to get a fake one placed under your desk at work? Might cause your blood pressure to rise for a while...

[This message has been edited by SinJin (edited 01-11-2003).]
</font>
Nice to see TSA employees formulating their opinion prior to all facts being known: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rolleyes.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Assistant Dist. Atty. Karyn Sinunu said Friday that no charges would be filed because the belongings in the suitcase were not a fake bomb.</font>
www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-bombhoax11jan11.story

Boo hoo hoo for the poor TSA thugs who gave this couple a hard time for their political views...
Old Jan 12, 2003, 9:51 am

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
The plain, sad, fact is that two people lost their freedom for a day for criticizing the government. There is nothing more fundamental to the Bill of Rights than your right to do that without fear of retribution.

I hope the favorable resolution of this incident is a step in the right direction. Otherwise, all the security will have been devoted to preserving a system not worth preserving.

[edited for preposition improvement]

[This message has been edited by RichG (edited 01-12-2003).]
Old Jan 12, 2003, 10:59 am
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichG:
The plain, sad, fact is that two people lost their freedom for a day for criticizing the government. There is nothing more fundamental to the Bill of Rights than your right to do that without fear of retribution.

I hope the favorable resolution of this incident is a step in the right direction. Otherwise, all the security will have been devoted to preserving a system not worth preserving.

[edited for preposition improvement]

[This message has been edited by RichG (edited 01-12-2003).]
</font>
They were detained for suspicion. Simple as that. They were released when it was determined that there was insufficient evidence. Recasting this as being arrested for criticizing the government is utterly unsupported by any available facts.
Old Jan 12, 2003, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Brian:

One can only hope that something in your suitcase with this message is one day mistaken for an intentional intent to "send or place a false or facsimile bomb."

After all, your views deserve the widest possible dissemination, and a court appearance would give you valuable publicity.

I hope that, while in jail, they are compelled to reimburse the government for all of our tax money that they wasted playing this silly and potentially dangerous game.
Symmetry... gotta love it.
</font>
Do you wish to see me similarly arrested on "suspicion" or should I be wrongly convicted as well?

Remember, if I'm wrongly arrested or convicted, your tax dollars will be needlessly spent.

As much as we disagree, I would not wish a "mistaken" arrest on you or any other person. Why would my views compel you to wish it upon me? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/confused.gif

Have a nice weekend. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif
Old Jan 12, 2003, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
I stand on my characterization of this incident without reservation of any kind.

FWAAA: How can you continue to engage in dialogue with someone who gratuitously wishes ill upon you?
Old Jan 12, 2003, 2:56 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RichG:
I stand on my characterization of this incident without reservation of any kind.

FWAAA: How can you continue to engage in dialogue with someone who gratuitously wishes ill upon you?
</font>
Rich, you and FWAAA both conveniently ignored the original post, which led to my response:

"I've put a statement with essentially the same content in my checked bags - right on top - since Jan 1, and twice the statement has disappeared, replaced with the TSA "We searched your bag cause our toy MRI machines couldn't tell the difference between your clothes, books and food and a bomb" notice. Of course, I didn't include any fake bombs - just the political message. Screw the TSA and all who work for it."

I am not going to play the adolescent game of suggesting that the poster made a terroristic threat at the end of that post, because he didn't. It was hyperbole... childish in my opinion, but nothing more than that.

In that context, perhaps my response will be somewhat understandable to those who read it, without the benefit of your "editing."

Thank you.

[This message has been edited by Brian (edited 01-12-2003).]
Old Jan 12, 2003, 4:16 pm
RS

Programs: American Airlines Platinum Pro
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SinJin:
Personally, I hope they lock them for a long time!

</font>
After reading this whole thread and the news articles, I don't understand why you would "lock them" [sic]. For what crime?

Old Jan 14, 2003, 10:32 am
EPS

Programs: UA 1P; HHonors Silver
Not a bomb
Jailed man says airport cops 'overreacted'

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...4/BA175843.DTL

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The man who was arrested with his wife at the San Jose airport last week for putting notes in the couple's luggage deriding security screeners said in an interview Monday that authorities overreacted when they jailed the pair for three days.</font>
Old Jan 14, 2003, 10:36 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by EPS:
Not a bomb
Jailed man says airport cops 'overreacted'

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...4/BA175843.DTL

The man who was arrested with his wife at the San Jose airport last week for putting notes in the couple's luggage deriding security screeners said in an interview Monday that authorities overreacted when they jailed the pair for three days.</font>
Also from the article...

"However, authorities contend, at worst, Donahue packed the electronic gear to ensure it would draw attention to his note and, at best, he chose the wrong forum to protest the aviation security law that Congress passed to protect passengers after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks.

"Look, you don't write a note like that unless you want someone to read it, " said Santa Clara County Assistant District Attorney Karyn Sinunu. "He wanted his suitcase to be popped, and it got popped. It was a silly little protest, and he got the attention he wanted.

"The police did exactly what they've been trained to do. They saw something suspicious, and they investigated it," she said.

Federal Transportation Security Administration spokesman Robert Johnson agreed.

"Notes on cardboard don't set off bomb-detection equipment," he said. It was the electronic components "grouped together inside" that caused the search, he said.

"In the days following 9/11, this ought to be a no-brainer," Johnson said. "Next time I would suggest a letter to his congressman."
Old Jan 14, 2003, 12:14 pm

What I would like to know is, if they really suspect a bomb, who gets to actually open the suitcase? It doesn't seem that the bomb squad gets called so are there real bomb experts on hand? Is the room evacuated before opening the suspect luggage? Is it a bomb proof room or would an explosion get to other parts of the airport if a bomb goes off (maybe due to a TSA employee inadvertently setting it off during inspection)?

I do think these are unlikely events, but as TSA is supposed to be equipped to deal with bombs, then these questions should have answers.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

The more you read this, the more you realize we have gone crazy. Even if they thought it looked like a bomb, why would they open it in a crowded airline terminal?

And, after they opened it, could they not deduct it was not a bomb?

And, after dragging them off to jail, why did it take 3 days to let them go?

This is insane. As someone else mentioned, is it worth this much expense to protect something we are watching slip away? Our freedom?
Old Jan 14, 2003, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NoStressHere:

The more you read this, the more you realize we have gone crazy. Even if they thought it looked like a bomb, why would they open it in a crowded airline terminal?

And, after they opened it, could they not deduct it was not a bomb?

And, after dragging them off to jail, why did it take 3 days to let them go?

This is insane. As someone else mentioned, is it worth this much expense to protect something we are watching slip away? Our freedom?
</font>
Exactly. I suspect the authorities thought that they needed to be taught a lesson, even though they were charged with no crimes. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif

Sounds to me like they were punished for their viewpoints, but I'm sure others will vehemently disagree.

If the jackboots fit...
Old Jan 14, 2003, 1:08 pm

Why did they open it if they suspected a bomb? Great question. Where's SinJin now!?!?!
Old Jan 14, 2003, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think it is obvious that they did not in any way think it was a bomb.

When they think something is a bomb, they evacuate the terminal, call in the experts, etc.

Nobody is that stupid that they would think this was a bomb and open it up like this to examine it.

But the screener's pride was involved here. So they used their power to make these people sorry.

Their pride was hurt so they claimed that they "saw" a bomb and somehow managed to keep these people in jail for 3 days.

As we see, the story doesn't hold together but they either lied or have false memories, or both.
Old Jan 14, 2003, 6:17 pm

I did something simular to this. We were doing some convoy training and I had taught a class on why it is important not to stop in enemy territory and pick things up off the road. I then went ahead of the convoy and laid a water can off the side of the road and marked it so that if they picked it up it read "BOMB". Well I only had one troop out of about 50 trucks stop and pick it up. We left the area and I forgot the can. The next day the MP's came looking for me. A civilian government employee saw the can and stopped. He picked up the can and about crapped his pants. I was not in the good graces of my commander for awhile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.