Luggage bomb hoax lands couple in jail

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage bomb hoax lands couple in jail

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2003, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FliesWay2Much:
I agree with Spiff. What a neat idea to include what we feel about TSA unobserved searches in our checked luggage. My next trip is next week. My bag will be full of my views -- and --

A gross sex toy of some sort --

One of my shirt pockets will contain some money. First, though, I need to find out what the dollar threshold is in Virginia for grand larcency (versus petty larceny). The shirt pocket will contain $Grand larceny amount + $1. I live for the day when I see the first TSA employee in an orange jumpsuit & handcuffs!
</font>
Here's a link to Virginia's Grand Larceny definition:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...00+cod+18.2-95

Looks like $5 in your shirt pocket will suffice (or $200 in your carry-on bag). http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif
Old Jan 9, 2003, 8:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NoStressHere:

It looks like some people are jumping to conclusions here. The story linked in this article does NOT say they had a fake bomb or even something that was made to look like a bomb. It does say there were batteries, wires, etc that LOOKED like it needed more checking. If the facts eventually indicate it was a fake bomb, etc. then they should get the book thrown at them.

On the other hand, if the items were normal and NOT a fake bomb, etc, and their only offense is the note, then the TSA was wrong. And if that is the case, then why should they be "thrown in jail"?

Why?
</font>
Does any sane person normally carry wires, batteries, and a power strip on a ski trip. Especially since it's high probably that the wires were attached to the batteries and then to the snow boot.

I'm sorry, your Honor.

I didn't mean to yell "Fire" in a crowded theatre. I actually meant to say "Fir" and just mispronounced it.

Yeah, right.
Old Jan 9, 2003, 10:35 pm

YES! I often carry a power strip, a 50' coil of wire and batteries. I also have a box that has more wire in a coil, attached to a long collapsable piece of stainless steel. It is called an antenna.

It is used when I take my HF radio on a trip so I can play Ham Radio at my location. Needless to say, I carry my x-mitter with me in carry on...

Perhaps I should attach a pithy saying along with the copy of my FCC license.....
Old Jan 9, 2003, 10:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I believe the key is "in a suspicious way".

Nitrate fertilizer and diesel are both harmless by themselves.

Mix the two together in the correct proportion, and it's a problem.

Feel free to yell "Fire" when in an empty theatre
Old Jan 9, 2003, 11:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
I think they should have attached the note to a fruitcake. Guaranteed to set the machine off and have their message read and also a good use of fruitcake .... or should we just call it TSA Loaf ??? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif
Old Jan 9, 2003, 11:10 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FliesWay2Much:
I agree with Spiff. What a neat idea to include what we feel about TSA unobserved searches in our checked luggage. My next trip is next week. My bag will be full of my views -- and --

A gross sex toy of some sort --

One of my shirt pockets will contain some money. First, though, I need to find out what the dollar threshold is in Virginia for grand larcency (versus petty larceny). The shirt pocket will contain $Grand larceny amount + $1. I live for the day when I see the first TSA employee in an orange jumpsuit & handcuffs!
</font>
I wonder if they would know the difference if you carried Monopoly money instead? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Old Jan 10, 2003, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This could be a tough one.

As of now there isn’t enough clear evidence as to what exactly happened in order to make a firm judgment. Like Spiff I completely agree with the message but if the couple did indeed create some kind of collage to intentionally resemble a bomb then they might be in a tough spot.

While ultimately I do not agree with the couple's precise methodology (if this is indeed the case), what interests me more are these little tidbits,

CNN

"It's one thing to have an issue about protecting our flights from terrorism."

Yeah, I am sure this couple is for terrorism on commercial airlines. Nice spin there Bob. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/rolleyes.gif

"Don't force our screeners to waste their time playing political games."

Transportation Security Administration spokesman Robert Johnson

If this mans words carry any weight and/or represent the general position of the TSA in regards to criticism of their actions then it is conceivable that eventually it will be "illegal" to even place a note protesting the situation in ones suitcase.

Either way, consider this the first major shot across the bow of the newly federalized practice of illegal search and seizure of airline passenger luggage.

[This message has been edited by anrkitec (edited 01-10-2003).]
Old Jan 10, 2003, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
I've heard that the bomb detection machines can't detect substances of heavy density.

Hmm. Me thinks an idea to pack some heavy heavy blue fermented cheese in large quantities.

Won't the screener be screaming for his/her life when he opens the bag and gets a whiff of the lovely cargo!

I think I'd throw in a couple kilos of DURIAN too. (DURIAN: SMELLY FRUIT , well at least to Western noses, FOUND ONLY IN THE FAR EAST)
Old Jan 10, 2003, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Those that travel with computers or other gear often have powerstrips with them. Hotels usually have one outlet if you are lucky. And maybe an extension cord (wires). Batteries for equipment too?

And of course, the skiboot is the ultimate destructive device.

Sure wish the reporter could update this story and tell us more. If all the items were innocent, it is a sad day in America when you get arrested for leaving a note or speaking your mind.

And it is NOT the same as yelling fire. If the note had said something like "This is a bomb, or this might be a bomb, etc," then it might be like the FIRE thing.

Old Jan 10, 2003, 12:59 pm
EPS

Programs: UA 1P; HHonors Silver
Fake Bomb Political Statement Backfires
http://www.kron4.com/Global/story.asp?S=1078608

Includes video clip.

Old Jan 10, 2003, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hmm,

That video clip is interesting indeed.

The TSA/Police allowed the note to be photographed but not the "bomb" (telling perhaps?). Also, everyone should listen to the part of the clip where the detective describes the "bomb". He doesn’t describe it the way some media reports as well as some people here have as "batteries wired to a power strip and packed inside a boot." No "packed into", no "wires". Just "a 5-outlet power strip next to a boot near a pack of batteries.

Again, not enough information to determine the absolute truth here but based on this detective's description I have been guilty many times over of "placing a phoney bomb", that is to say I have carried many unrelated items in my bag that could, under a cloud of paranoia be deemed as "suspicious".

But then I have yet to put a note with a "political statement" in my bag. Ahh, perhaps that is indeed the difference.

Is it completely beyond reason to believe it very possible that the screeners saw something that they might want to inspect more closely (such as the power strip) then opened the bad and found, not a "bomb-like" device, but just a bunch of disparate items and then took umbrage, again not at the items but at the "political" statement and then decided to make a point?

Why is "fake bomb" a more reasonable assumption/conclusion then "Oh yeah, I’ll show you"?

Old Jan 10, 2003, 3:37 pm

Location: CP-ASEL,AMEL,G-IA in Tucson, Arizona, United States
I'd just like to know what would've happened if there had been no note in the luggage with the collection of items.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 3:52 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M
Original Poster

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Actually, it's not out of the question for those items to be found together in a carryon...

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Plato90s:
Does any sane person normally carry wires, batteries, and a power strip on a ski trip.</font>

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Jan 10, 2003, 4:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Loyal to Myself
Given the vitriolic note, in combination with the items in the bag, it stretches the imagination to contemplate that they weren't trying to make a "statement." Great. They made it, and they went to jail. I congratulate them on their willingness to bear substantial inconvenience for their beliefs.

Now they are subject to the decisions of the judicial system, who will assess the evidence in bringing charges or not, and ultimately finding them guilty or not. The purpose of a trail is to make these determinations.

They engaged in conduct that was of questionable legaility. Now the judicial system will answer the question. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif
Old Jan 10, 2003, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
No charges to be filed:

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/bayarea/news/4919978.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.