Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Luggage bomb hoax lands couple in jail

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2003, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tsadude:
... Many in the TSA bust their ... to do this job and a few screw ups should not reflect the whole organization. ... </font>
I like your thinking. Along those same lines:

Ten's of millions of Americans bust their @ss to fly responsibly, and a few screw ups should not reflect on all of us. (leave us alone, we are the good guys)

[This message has been edited by NoStressHere (edited 01-23-2003).]
Old Jan 24, 2003, 5:04 am

I've heard that the bomb detection machines can't detect substances of heavy density.
Hmm. Me thinks an idea to pack some heavy heavy blue fermented cheese in large quantities.

===========================

Don't be so sure of yourself on that. In fact, the machines do detect heavy densities and you can bet it will result in a search to determine what it is and what's behind it.

Won't the screener be screaming for his/her life when he opens the bag and gets a whiff of the lovely cargo!

Why such animosity towards people who are sincerely trying to do a good job? Most TSA employees are good folks laboring in a thus far ill defined arena. If you have anmosity, direct it towards the leadership, not the screeners. Yes, they make travel inconvenient..but have you thought of the alternative. Which plane would you rather put your wife and kids on; one where no people or bags are screened or one where a few minutes of delay results in complete screening?

I think I'd throw in a couple kilos of DURIAN too. (DURIAN: SMELLY FRUIT , well at least to Western noses, FOUND ONLY IN THE FAR EAST)

In which case, you won't be dealing with the TSA, US Customs will be confiscating your stuff..

Regards
Old Jan 24, 2003, 6:56 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Ten's of millions of Americans bust their @ss to fly responsibly, and a few screw ups should not reflect on all of us. (leave us alone, we are the good guys)</font>
Ok, how would YOU suggest the TSA sort out who is the good guy and who is the bad guy? Or, would you just like them to ask?
Those FEW screwups killed 3,000+- people. Are you willing to fly a system with no security?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/eek.gif

Old Jan 24, 2003, 7:08 am

Location: Here, there, and everywhere. Hip, hip, so hip to be square.
Welcome to FT, porkyboy!

Reading back through the last 12 months' worth of threads on this board (if you haven't already) should give you a fairly good idea of who tends to be on what side of which arguments, and for what reasons. You'll even see examples of people whose opinions of the TSA have changed as the framework in which they labor has developed in that time.

I, personally, have no truck with those screeners -- the majority thereof -- who are doing their thankless job professionally and personably (albeit at a rather higher compensation level than they might otherwise expect in the public sector).

And, yes, we've all witnessed the lone wolf at some checkpoints who acts as though he is accountable to nobody, and seems to be engaging in class warfare at the expense of the harried travelers. This is why the chain of command is in place -- I make my opinions known on such personnel to the appropriate supervisors.

I agree with you that making the front-line people bear the brunt of one's wrath with what one perceives as the misguided nature of the system is just silly. As long as they don't engage in such histrionics in front of me when I'm running to make a flight, though, I fully support their freedom of expression. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Welcome again!

Mook
Old Jan 24, 2003, 4:20 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by porkyboy:
[BWhich plane would you rather put your wife and kids on; one where no people or bags are screened or one where a few minutes of delay results in complete screening?[/B]</font>
I've been on both types of planes and guess what? The one without the screening took off and landed without incident, just like the flight where they randomly wanded 80-year-old grandmothers and their 4-year-old grandchildren in a fit of wanding for wanding's sake. (Same thing for thousands of other flights every single day.) Imagine that!

The intentions of the passengers on the plane matter far more than the pointiness of the objects they're carrying.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 4:35 pm

factotum said
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I've been on both types of planes and guess what? The one without the screening took off and landed without incident, just like the flight where they randomly wanded 80-year-old grandmothers and their 4-year-old grandchildren in a fit of wanding for wanding's sake. (Same thing for thousands of other flights every single day.) Imagine that!

The intentions of the passengers on the plane matter far more than the pointiness of the objects they're carrying. </font>
Yeah, I guess you like to play the odds, and that's certainly your call. But as for me, I don't want a wide open system with no deterrance. Your comment about intent is interesting. If a person has a bad intent but has no weapons can they do as much damage? Doesn't making sure that no "pointy stuff" is in the cabin swing the odds in your favor. And just how would you have the TSA determine who has bad intent? Oh, never mind, you just want to jump aboard and play the odds.
I'm wondering if you were aboard one of the 9-11 flights, would you have wished that an alert screener had taken away those pointy things just before your are blown into oblivion. No, probably not. I also wonder, were you one of the people so critical of the screening process back then? If not, fine, if so, you got what you asked for.
Odds are that you'll fly the rest of your life without being hijacked, with or without a TSA or something like it. So is that a good enough reason to forget screening? My guess is that most folks wouldn't want that. I'll bet even you would not if you just happened to get on a ship that was hijacked.
Just offering you some things to consider. Some of us like what is happening, some of us don't. That's America.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/cool.gif
Old Jan 24, 2003, 4:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
oops (my first double post... not sure how that happened....)

[This message has been edited by NoStressHere (edited 01-24-2003).]
Old Jan 24, 2003, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by porkyboy:
...Those FEW screwups killed 3,000+- people. Are you willing to fly a system with no security? </font>
There were no screw ups in the system.
* They used their IDs, and they were checked.
* I assume they parked 300 ft from the terminal and walked in.
* They carried items that were legal (then)
* Passengers and pilots did what they had been instructed to do at that time - do not resist.

Meanwhile,the same thing could happen today if they wanted to, though they might have to sneak the weapons through, or fashion them from items readily available.

The end result may well be different since we have somewhat reinforced cockpits (not 100%), and the passengers will fight back.

But do not for one minute think the screeners are at fault for 9/11 or that it could not happen again, even with the billions of dollars of window dressing in place.

Would I rather fly with no security? Maybe, since we only have security that will catch the naive or untrained troublemaker today. The billions would be better used elsewhere.

Old Jan 24, 2003, 5:14 pm

TSADude said:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Like many of my TSA brethern, I have faced fears beyond what you could ever imagine as a soldier. </font>
Are you serious!? What have you faced as a screener that even begins to generate the fear of hand to hand combat, a night artillery barrage on your position or being encircled by a force three times yours who is bent on killing you? I'm sorry TSA dude, but unless I musunderstand, your comment is absurd and an insult to every soldier who has stated death in the eye or held a mortally wounded brother as he dies in his arms. If I misunderstand, I'm sorry.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif
Old Jan 24, 2003, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TSADude said: Are you serious!? What have you faced as a screener that even begins to generate the fear of hand to hand combat, a night artillery barrage on your position or being encircled by a force three times yours who is bent on killing you? I'm sorry TSA dude, but unless I musunderstand, your comment is absurd and an insult to every soldier who has stated death in the eye or held a mortally wounded brother as he dies in his arms. If I misunderstand, I'm sorry.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif
</font>
I think you misunderstood. I think tsadude is saying that, as a soldier, he faced fearful situations much worse than those ever faced by frequent flyers. His sentence structure is lacking, but that was his point. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif

What about the many millions of vets from WWll, Korea, Viet Nam and all the recent years?? He seems to think the only veterans work for the TSA. There's a lot more veterans than the 65,000 jackboot wannabees in the TSA. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif
Old Jan 24, 2003, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM
This thread has been moved to a new board recently setup in TravelBuzz to address security related topics:

Please use the link below to enter the new board:

http://www.flyertalk.com/travel/fttr...e=5&LastLogin=

Radiocycle
In The News Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.