Wiki Posts
Search

TSA screeners at BDL failed to find knife, fake bomb in tests of security

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2003, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

TSA screeners at BDL failed to find knife, fake bomb in tests of security

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Posted in USA Today 1/21/03:
Report: Undercover agents slipped through fake bomb, knife

WINDSOR LOCKS, Conn. (AP) — Federal undercover inspectors slipped through Bradley International Airport security twice with a fake bomb in carry-on luggage, while one agent passed through with a knife taped to her leg, The Hartford Courant reported in Tuesday's editions.

The inspectors were able to smuggle the objects through the new federal baggage screeners at the airport during a surprise security test in November, the newspaper reported, citing airport sources it did not identify.

The fake bomb was loosely modeled on an explosive disguised as a radio that was used to blow up Pan Am 747 over Lockerbie, Scotland, in 1988, the newspaper reported.</font>
And my favorite quote from the article:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">A federal screener at Bradley, speaking on condition of anonymity, questioned the effectiveness of the new screening system, The Courant reported.

"We're good at taking away scissors and tweezers from little old ladies, and pocket knives from 80-year-old men going to Florida," the screener said. "But when it comes to the real deal, quite frankly, I don't know that we're any better than the former screeners."
</font>
Sounds like the criticism we have been heaping on the TSA and its drones since it was formed.

And we're collectively paying billions to take away scissors from old ladies and pocket knives from old men. What a pathetic response to such a serious attack. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif

Only in America would an act of war breed a zero-tolerance policy from incompetents like Norm Mineta instead of a real improvement in Aviation Security.

But of course, not everyone complains, and your mileage may vary (substantially).
Old Jan 21, 2003, 10:20 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
"We're good at taking away scissors and tweezers from little old ladies, and pocket knives from 80-year-old men going to Florida," the screener said. "But when it comes to the real deal, quite frankly, I don't know that we're any better than the former screeners."

I completely agree. It's absolutely pathetic how the TSA continues the Great Pointy Object and Other Non-Credible Weapons Search. Now we get to keep our checked bags unlocked with no one accepting responsibility for them too. Pathetic.

------------------
"Give me Liberty or give me Death." - Patrick Henry
Old Jan 21, 2003, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here's a link to the Hartford paper with more details:

Harford Courant Article

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Back at Bradley, November's failed inspections were not the only recent indication of trouble. The same month, two screeners were arrested and charged with larceny after one allegedly stole a passenger's cellphone and sold it to another for $50.

In early December, a screener was arrested by state police for threatening to "blow up" his checkpoint after losing his temper with a co-worker.

And a third, Christian Rosania, was fired after six months on the job after TSA officials said he failed to acknowledge a misdemeanor sexual assault conviction from 1992 on his job application. Rosania claims he did acknowledge the conviction and has filed a lawsuit for wrongful termination.</font>
How nice that the highly paid professionals would steal a cellphone from a passenger. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/frown.gif

"Won't professionalize 'til you federalize." Still a load of crap.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 10:49 am
RS

Programs: American Airlines Platinum Pro
The more of this I read, the more inclined I am to conclude that the whole security deal is purely P.R. But I really fear that the heads of this operation sincerely believe that this all makes sense!

I'm still for removing all passenger screening and having one or two marshalls on every plane - arming them or not is another discussion. This would not require great expense if specially trained police on a volunteer (fly for free) basis were recruited. While I'm very cyncial about law enforcement in general - certainly we could try to recruit and train some great marshalls - who, in a pinch could help out with safety on the planes.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RS:
The more of this I read, the more inclined I am to conclude that the whole security deal is purely P.R. But I really fear that the heads of this operation sincerely believe that this all makes sense!

I'm still for removing all passenger screening and having one or two marshalls on every plane - arming them or not is another discussion. This would not require great expense if specially trained police on a volunteer (fly for free) basis were recruited. While I'm very cyncial about law enforcement in general - certainly we could try to recruit and train some great marshalls - who, in a pinch could help out with safety on the planes.
</font>
I respectfully disagree. I'm still in favor of metal detectors to find guns and large knives and x-raying your carry-on to see if you have the same (or a bomb).

But if you clear that relatively non-intrusive search (like we have had for 30 years now), and you are not a potential terrorist (which TSA is not even trying to determine now), then I say you are free to go without further delay.

What is frustrating is the pointless Search for Many Innocuous Sharp and Pointy Objects, and the attendant slow-down in the checkpoints while screeners search for them.

If it's true that you get what you pay for, I'm not sure I want volunteer marshals taking up seats on the plane (unless they pay for their seats).

Since September, 2001, several times I've been seated in aisle seats in F even though my BP says WINDOW at the request of the flight crew. Not so often lately, but everyone on board now knows the drill. All pax are now volunteer marshals.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 11:15 am

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
Have I mentioned how much safer I feel now that the TSA has taken over security at airports!?!?! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mad.gif

They are stealing cell phones and people wonder why we don't like our belongings out of our sight! The next time I am pulled aside for a random wand harrassment when I didn't set the detector off, I intend to demand my belongings be brought within sight while it is done.

A government agency that monitors itself and does not have to make public that information. Total BS!
Old Jan 21, 2003, 11:36 am
RS

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FWAAA:
I respectfully disagree. I'm still in favor of metal detectors to find guns and large knives and x-raying your carry-on to see if you have the same (or a bomb).

But if you clear that relatively non-intrusive search (like we have had for 30 years now), and you are not a potential terrorist (which TSA is not even trying to determine now), then I say you are free to go without further delay.
</font>
Thanks for your comment. Maybe I even agree with you about the quick screening for large objects - but if it comes with the gigantic contingent of screeners at each terminal entry point - I don't think it's worth it compared to the air marshall idea.

Old Jan 21, 2003, 11:40 am
RS

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FWAAA:
Since September, 2001, several times I've been seated in aisle seats in F even though my BP says WINDOW at the request of the flight crew. Not so often lately, but everyone on board now knows the drill. All pax are now volunteer marshals.</font>
Just out of curiosity, why do you think you were asked to be in aisle. I've never seen this happen. Are you male, tall, or look like a karate expert? I'm just curious, don't be offended by my asking, please.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 12:33 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tazi:
Have I mentioned how much safer I feel now that the TSA has taken over security at airports!?!?! http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mad.gif

They are stealing cell phones and people wonder why we don't like our belongings out of our sight! The next time I am pulled aside for a random wand harrassment when I didn't set the detector off, I intend to demand my belongings be brought within sight while it is done.

A government agency that monitors itself and does not have to make public that information. Total BS!
</font>
Don't get me wrong, but the TSA was at BWI 4 ever because of the quality of people not found fit for this work. These "screeners" were stealing from each others purses in the break room. Background checks take some time also, it is not instant. I was at Bradley as a trainer for a week and the new screeners had an attitude there also. I was at Louisville and had no problems there. They were glad to have a decent job with benefits. I think it is a regional thing. The upper east coast is always having problems, but this is thru rumor control.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 1:39 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tsadude:
Don't get me wrong, but the TSA was at BWI 4 ever because of the quality of people not found fit for this work. These "screeners" were stealing from each others purses in the break room. Background checks take some time also, it is not instant. I was at Bradley as a trainer for a week and the new screeners had an attitude there also. I was at Louisville and had no problems there. They were glad to have a decent job with benefits. I think it is a regional thing. The upper east coast is always having problems, but this is thru rumor control. </font>
I'm not sure what part of my statements you are replying to????

Old Jan 21, 2003, 4:20 pm

The theft part.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RS:
Just out of curiosity, why do you think you were asked to be in aisle. I've never seen this happen. Are you male, tall, or look like a karate expert? I'm just curious, don't be offended by my asking, please.</font>
No offense at all. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

I'm tall, somewhat ugly, an elite member of AA for many years now, and look like I enjoy killing with my bare hands just for the hell of it. I'm guessing that has influenced some of my seating reassignments. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

This happened more often in the six months following September 11 than in the past 10 months or so.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
With this seeming to be the norm (weapons getting through checkpoints), why do we continue to go through the efforts hassling the good people? I just don't get it.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NoStressHere:
With this seeming to be the norm (weapons getting through checkpoints), why do we continue to go through the efforts hassling the good people? I just don't get it.</font>
Since no prison in the US is truly weapons-free (despite honest attempts to be weapons-free), I've wondered this myself for the last 16 months. A complete waste of time, effort and money. For nothing.

If prisons can't eliminate contraband, why try so bloody hard at the airport?

Short Answer? Small-minded "Gotta Do Something" Norm Mineta.
Old Jan 21, 2003, 8:56 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tsadude:
The theft part. </font>
All the more reason for me to refuse to be separated from my belongings since BWI is my home airport. Regardless of the reason, if security thinks you or your belongings need further scrutiny, you and your belongings should remain together for the process.

Honest, innocent citizens are being subjected to this crap. The law might say it is allowable, but every part of me is screaming that this is not what our country represents and I will fight it every time I am subjected to it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.