TSA screeners at BDL failed to find knife, fake bomb in tests of security

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TSA screeners at BDL failed to find knife, fake bomb in tests of security

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2003, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA PLT and that's that!
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JustanotherScreener:
Is it just me, or would most complaints disappear if the TSA would do away with the random searches?
Other than the people "selected" (and yes I too think this system needs work), I think the random checks should be limited to an exterior check of the bag for explosives.
I've never understood the random searches of passengers and their bags when there is no alarm to warrant it.
</font>

JustAnotherScreener, Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I think you have found the reason for the biggest complaints. It is good to see we can agree on the problems many of us have with the secondary screenings. There certainly are more issues worth discussing though, where the TSA agency as a whole is concerned.

A new forum was added just today to facilitate discussions related to security and safety where travel is concerned. I welcome your input on issues raised there as well. It can be found by clicking on FT Travel and browsing the topics included there http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Old Jan 24, 2003, 5:34 am

And we're collectively paying billions to take away scissors from old ladies and pocket knives from old men. What a pathetic response to such a serious attack.

Only in America would an act of war breed a zero-tolerance policy from incompetents like Norm Mineta instead of a real improvement in Aviation Security.

Here's part of the problem. The 9-11 group carried sharp & pointy things and (remember?) everyone criticised security for not detecting sharp pointy things. At that time, no-one had defined what was dangerous to carry in a cabin and what was not. So now, someone steps up to the bar and takes charge and everyone is criticising those decisions. I know that we travelers get our dander up and think "why me, go get a real criminal." The problem is, who anymore is the criminal and who is not? Just what pointy sharp things should be in the cabin and what should not? The TSA is trying to define that and a lot of the changes come through feedback. WE (the flying public) bit*hed up a storm after 9-11. Clucking our tongues at the crappy security, "oh my, how COULD those people let someone on a plane with a boxcutter?" Now that the TSA has intervened everyone wants the right to carry their boxcutter. Look, why not just put your pointy stuff in your checked bags and enjoy your flight knowing that some old lady won't be slashing your throat with her sewing scissors.

The front line TSA folks are just trying their best, I have several friends who are screeners and they are good people. Blame the management of TSA and do it constructively. Send feedback (their site has a link) and tell managers at airports. They do listen. What we've done here is put a finger in the dike. I agree that more needs to be done but take some comfort in knowing that certain ways to take out a plane have been blocked. Not to say the clever terrorists won't find new ways, but the TSA has made it more difficult for them and isn't that what we wanted?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif

Old Jan 24, 2003, 5:46 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Is it just me, or would most complaints disappear if the TSA would do away with the random searches?
Other than the people "selected" (and yes I too think this system needs work), I think the random checks should be limited to an exterior check of the bag for explosives.
I've never understood the random searches of passengers and their bags when there is no alarm to warrant it. </font>
Random searches are annoying. However, have any of you ever slipped thru a metal detector with a chunk of metal that, say, just could have been a knife? The detectors have a threshold that can allow something to slip through. The random searches, though annoying, keep the "bad guys" off balance. Once we have a system that is predictable, they will find the hole and jump through it. However, if we have a system that is unpredictable, they are less likely to try a breach and might think twice.

We've all got to give a little to get a lot here. Problem is, Americans have become so self centered and selfish that they aren't willing to make a compromise for the good of all. It's always "the other guy" who should be checked. I was in an airport recently and was being "wanded", across from me a TSA guy was doing a bag search for something and the guy was hollering about his rights. A well dressed gent in a turban walked by and with spittle flying the creep pointed right at the guy and said, "you should be searching him not me." Well, maybe so but just then the TSA guy pulled a honking huge knife out of the guys bag. It was a poingnant moment as the turbaned guy walked by with a smile.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif
Old Jan 24, 2003, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by porkyboy:
...I agree that more needs to be done but take some comfort in knowing that certain ways to take out a plane have been blocked. Not to say the clever terrorists won't find new ways, but the TSA has made it more difficult for them and isn't that what we wanted?</font>
Get real here. The people that are complaining realize that all these things are NOT making us safer, only annoyed. If these steps actually could stop terrorists, then more of us would shut up. (most anyways). The reality is one can still take whatever they need through the airport to take out a plane. You mentioned that the TSA stepped up to the plate after 9/11. I disagree completely. A real leader would have stood up and told people that certain risks come with a free society, some of which we must live with. Instead they applied lots of window dressing to "look good", vs making things safer.

Is the TSA more professional than the guys before? Yes. But the whole thing is still a sham.
Old Jan 24, 2003, 3:57 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by porkyboy:
Random searches are annoying. However, have any of you ever slipped thru a metal detector with a chunk of metal that, say, just could have been a knife? The detectors have a threshold that can allow something to slip through. The random searches, though annoying, keep the "bad guys" off balance. </font>
I'm sure this HAS happened to some people. But I think the sensitivity of the metal detectors should be increased to address this, not randomly wanding people hoping to find something.

I think more would be achieved by having metal detectors uniformly set to a sensitive enough level to detect the smallest (metallic) prohibited item concealed any where on the body would do this. Yes, most everyone would probably need to remove shoes, watches, coins etc... but if it was uniform throughout the system passengers would expect and realize this.

Of course, that's only my opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.