Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Misposted Threads
Reload this Page >

who else is sick to death of being bullied by "FAA regulations"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2002, 9:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I flew to three US cities this week, on about four different airlines (Colgan Air, US Airways, United, Southwest.)

The whole way, on every segment, at the airport, at security, in the plane, all I heard was "FAA regulations this" and "FAA regulations that."

Everything is being done in the name of "FAA regulations."

I am not regulated by the FAA. I am not an airline. I do not sincerely care a whit about "FAA regulations." Airlines are regulated but I am not.

Yes, I am committed to following "uniformed crewmember instructions, lighted signs and placards." But I am rather tired of being bullied from the moment I arrive at the airport.

The sign on the way in says that I can be searched/harrassed and have no constitutional rights even as I drive into the airport. I never agreed to this.

We are all being bullied, us sheople. Bullied at "security," where some joker in uniform tried to get me to take out my wallet and put it in a tray on the conveyor belt, to disappear somewhere on the other side while I am submitting to being wanded and patted down and taking off my belt buckle (why not just drop the pants while we are at it.)

(There are no "FAA regulations" that say I have to put my wallet into the little tray, and if there are, they are unconstitutional as far as I am concerned. I am not a Federally regulated person.)

Bullied because I cannot have business meetings anymore inside of airport security at the club where I am a member. My associates cannot come into the airport and meet me anymore, because they do not have some piece of paper saying they are travelling that day.

Bullied at the gate because if I am foolish enough to try to board first, I'll be stuck for ten minutes having all the contents of my carry on removed and pawed over, even though I just went through a thorough screening at the gate.

And then, bullied on the airplane, with "FAA regulations this" and "FAA regulations that."

Is anyone else upset about this? Do we all just let the Federal government move in and take over our lives whenever we travel?

I am willing to take a bit of risk at the airport and on the plane. If I wasn't, I'd stay home.

There are a million ways for terrorists to strike at the United States outside of the airport. I am not willing to sit back and willingly live in a society where my movements are all tracked, and where I have absolutely no rights of any kind.

This is happening now, folks, and we all have to decide if this is how we want to live.

What do you think?
Old Feb 24, 2002, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

Agree with you (almost) 100%. There are some rules we need for reasonable safety and security, but the bulk of the post 9/11 rules are foolish. It does not add to safety. It does not add to freedom. It for sure hurts our economy and way of life.
Old Feb 24, 2002, 9:52 am

Programs: AA 1mm; SPG Gold
While I happen to agree with your post 100% richard, don't expect any sympathy from the masses at this time. The taxpayers want to FEEL the PERCEPTION of safety, and this is how it goes. If you don't want to be bound by pseudo FAA regs, well, either don't fly, or look into fractional jet ownership.

Until then, though, you're not going to win, so continue to fly and support our economy, but also continue to vote with your conscience and your pocketbook.
Old Feb 24, 2002, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

And what about those stupid annoying and completely bogus "security" questions?

Is anyone else completely tired of asking if they've been given something to carry or left their bags?

I really feel sorry for ticket and gate agents, having to intone these questions a billions times a day. And for the pax having to answer these bogus questions with a straight face.

And if that isn't enough, airports in the USA are filled with lame continual stressful PA announcements about not leaving your bags unattended and not carrying things that "unknown persons" give you.

Who in the world has not heard that you are not supposed to carry things that strangers give you, or leave your bags unattended? Why are we inundated with announcements and forced to endlessly answer the same stupid, idiotic questions?

I know -- it's "FAA regulations" http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif
Old Feb 24, 2002, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

How right you are, Lewdog. I can just hear Aunt Bessie who flies once a year say, "I am very happy to wait a few extra minutes or an extra hour as long as I am safe."

Aunt Bessie as we all know does not have to make a living being in different cities and countries for business.

And this is probably the same (fictitious) Aunt Bessie who thinks that random searches of our person or homes in the name of security or drug laws or whatever is fine because "you have nothing to be concerned about if you have nothing to hide."

I don't have anything to "hide" except that I'd like some protection from the government. The same screener pawing through my stuff in the future is going to be representing a government that is now figuring out when I leave, where I go, when I come back, and why, and they are in a wonderful position to track my movements, my business, my personal life, everything.

That is why the USA was founded -- on enlightened principles that we have rights that government cannot, by law or FAA regulations, take away. And yet they are taken away with lots more, and worse, on the way.
Old Feb 24, 2002, 10:17 am

I remember the very first time I flew transborder from YYZ to YEG many, many years ago and was amazed to have my friends meet me at the gate! My amazement continued as we got to the curb where they had PARKED! I also noticed people checking in curbside.

We've had many of these restrictions for as long as I can remember but I must say that the security screening in the U.S. now is far, far worse than most Canadian airports
(YYZ excepted, where they've just gotten sillier than they already were).

I can't believe some of the stuff that they're doing. More unbelievable is that the business travellers are tolerating it.

Good luck to my American friends in bringing back common sense soon!
Old Feb 24, 2002, 10:28 am

The "FAA Regulations" line is perfect:
Since the security regulations are secret, there is no way to challenge them.

They could say that "FAA Regulations" forbid chunky peanut butter and we have no recourse.

It drives me INSANE.
Old Feb 24, 2002, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LewDog:
While I happen to agree with your post 100% richard, don't expect any sympathy from the masses at this time. The taxpayers want to FEEL the PERCEPTION of safety, and this is how it goes. If you don't want to be bound by pseudo FAA regs, well, either don't fly, or look into fractional jet ownership.

Until then, though, you're not going to win, so continue to fly and support our economy, but also continue to vote with your conscience and your pocketbook.
</font>
We are TAXPAYERS! Only the people who dont fly every day want the perception of safety. We KNOW the reality...and the REALITY is that we are no safer (or les safe) today than we were on 9-10. And WE the FLYING TAXPAYERS have to put up with this **** day in and day out while Grandpa or SusieQ honeymooner says "I will wait in this line for hours and hours just to have a safe flight. Bull****!
Old Feb 24, 2002, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by richard:
How right you are, Lewdog. I can just hear Aunt Bessie who flies once a year say, "I am very happy to wait a few extra minutes or an extra hour as long as I am safe."

Aunt Bessie as we all know does not have to make a living being in different cities and countries for business.

And this is probably the same (fictitious) Aunt Bessie who thinks that random searches of our person or homes in the name of security or drug laws or whatever is fine because "you have nothing to be concerned about if you have nothing to hide."

I don't have anything to "hide" except that I'd like some protection from the government. The same screener pawing through my stuff in the future is going to be representing a government that is now figuring out when I leave, where I go, when I come back, and why, and they are in a wonderful position to track my movements, my business, my personal life, everything.

That is why the USA was founded -- on enlightened principles that we have rights that government cannot, by law or FAA regulations, take away. And yet they are taken away with lots more, and worse, on the way.
</font>
AMEN Brother!
Old Feb 24, 2002, 11:59 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Welcome to the revival of Nazi Germany on American soil - available at most airports for your "safety".

------------------
"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither." - Ben Franklin
Old Feb 24, 2002, 12:04 pm

Why has there been there little or no public response by the airlines to the FAA *regulations*? All we hear about is their declining revenues. To my way of thinking, there's a direct correlation between the increasingly intrusive, nit-picking rules and passengers choosing alternative transportation or flying less. Exactly how do the airlines feel about the FAA?
Old Feb 24, 2002, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
The stupid security questions are left over from the Unibomber days when he threatened to blow up airplanes over the July 4th holiday.

I, for one, always keep my luggage under my control at all times. I take it with me on horseback rides down in Tucson, I ski with my luggage, and even more impressive, I have learned to snorkel in the Caribbean with my luggage, just so I can truthfully answer the security questions correctly!
Old Feb 24, 2002, 12:39 pm

Actually, even as passengers, FAA regulations law)are applicable; for example see:

www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/cfrhtml_00/Title_14/14cfr108_00.html
Old Feb 24, 2002, 1:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Don't like the heat...get out of the kitcheon, or buy your own kitcheon.
Old Feb 24, 2002, 1:07 pm
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ranles:
Don't like the heat...get out of the kitcheon, or buy your own kitcheon.</font>
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.