Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Misposted Threads
Reload this Page >

We have gone NUTS. Man arrested during "olympic" flight.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We have gone NUTS. Man arrested during "olympic" flight.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2002, 2:00 pm

this is one of the funniest posts i've read! too bad they're cutting down on meal service on planes as well-- makes that service cart a much sought after commodity.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MatthewClement:
I've decided this much. If I'm flying into DCA and really need to go, I'll make sure I do it on the serving cart, not the lav. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif
</font>
Old Feb 12, 2002, 2:07 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Doppy:
While everyone here is whining that their rights are being taken away, I'm willing to lay pretty good odds that more people have called the airlines trying to squeeze a few miles out of them because they didn't like the taste of their Coke than have contacted the government over the restriction of their civil liberties.

If you honestly believe that you have legitimate issues with the way things are, and many of you do, contact the people who can do something about it.
</font>
Ain't that the truth. If you have some problems with the rules, then the proper target for those issues are the folks who make them. Do not take it out on the people who are charged with enforcing them.

It's not fair to them, and it sure doesn't accomplish anything.

I personally think that a lot of the complaints you have are valid. I think it is silly to ask someone to remain seated when it's safe to move around. I think it's silly to say, well, you can't take those nail clippers on board when they're serving drinks in glassware, which can be broken easily and turned into a weapon. I think it's silly to tell me that I can't take a pocket knife on board when there are bottles of wine that can be broken and turned into weapons that are far more dangerous than my 1.5 inch blade.

But while I think those rules are silly, they don't irritate me enough to do something like filing a complaint with the FAA or with Tom Ridge. So I play by them and don't let it get me all bent out of shape.

Some of you, though, are irritated by these rules enough to scream bloody murder about them on these boards. I think it'd be far more productive to write a letter to your Congressional reps, Minetta, Ridge, and the head of the FAA.
Old Feb 12, 2002, 2:15 pm

The title is "we have gone nuts". I am quite sane. I haven't done anything.
Old Feb 12, 2002, 3:07 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Please, you can receive 30 days in jail for littering in most states too ... how many of those sentences do you think have been handed out? Maximum sentences are often a joke, as in this case ...
Old Feb 12, 2002, 4:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tango:
Good thing he did not come out of the Lav with a pair of tweezers or nail clippers, it would have been off to Gitmo for a Miltary Tribunal!!!!</font>
or his fly down!

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum21/HTML/005089.html

Old Feb 12, 2002, 4:50 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Doppy:

Number of times I've written to the airlines: four times.

Number of times I've written to Congressman, FAA, Senators, Attorney General's Office, Mayor's Office, County Executive's Office about air travel: twenty times, about half about post 9/11 issues, half before.

Can I speak now?

I enjoy shooting the 'breeze' here but please don't assume all of us are armchair quarterbacks. Some of us do what little we can do in the system (nor do I advocate challenging rules in flight, though I would have been hard pressed to keep my hands above my head for 25 minutes... hyperactive, I guess)

[This message has been edited by pitflyer (edited 02-12-2002).]
Old Feb 12, 2002, 7:29 pm

Programs: FB Plat Lifetime - BA GGL - VS Gold - EK Gold - HH Diamond - SPG Gold - Club Carlson Gold
Accountability is such a wonderful thing. The sooner an airline is made accountable, by whatever means, for its heavy handed practices, the sooner we can all look forward to flying in peace.
Old Feb 12, 2002, 7:42 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The rules may be stupid, but if you break them, you've only got yourself to blame.</font>
The rules may be stupid, but if you follow them unthinkingly, you've only got yourself to blame.
Old Feb 12, 2002, 9:30 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ken hAAmer:
The rules may be stupid, but if you break them, you've only got yourself to blame.</font>
The rules may be stupid, but if you follow them unthinkingly, you've only got yourself to blame.
Fine. You go ahead and break the rules. And when you end up in jail or paying a big fine, don't come crying to me.

Me? Until they change them, as stupid as they are, I'll live by them. I don't feel like going to jail or paying a fine, so even if I think it's a stupid rule, I'll follow it.

I didn't like wearing a suit to work every day at my last job, but since that was their rule, I did it.
Old Feb 24, 2002, 11:00 am

Programs: HHonors, Hyatt GP, Marriott, Varying Levels w/ UA /AF /DL /SQ /AA
This guy is a little left of crazy (at leaset I hope), but it's food for thought.

http://www.almartinraw.com/column51.html
Old Feb 25, 2002, 2:11 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist UA 1K MM, Delta Diamond
What I don't get is what would you do with a hijacked plane in SLC? Crash it into a mountain, and aim at an american bobsleder going 80mph?? Sorry to sound rude.. (But thats how I am)
Old Feb 25, 2002, 7:06 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ryan754:
What I don't get is what would you do with a hijacked plane in SLC? Crash it into a mountain, and aim at an american bobsleder going 80mph?? Sorry to sound rude.. (But thats how I am)</font>
I hijacked this plane to stop those dam snowboarders from playin ZZ Top, youknowwhatimsayin?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/biggrin.gif

Old Feb 25, 2002, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ryan754:
What I don't get is what would you do with a hijacked plane in SLC? Crash it into a mountain, and aim at an american bobsleder going 80mph?? Sorry to sound rude.. (But thats how I am)</font>
Well, terrorists are typically looking for media coverage. If they weren't, rather than blowing up landmarks, they'd just shoot off fireworks.

I think the Olympics qualifies as a major media event; crashing a plane into one of the main buildings, or just crashing it at all, would probably get plenty of press coverage, don't you think?

d

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.