Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Support&Services > Misposted Threads
Reload this Page >

We have gone NUTS. Man arrested during "olympic" flight.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We have gone NUTS. Man arrested during "olympic" flight.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2002, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Supposedly, air marshals NEVER work alone nowadays. This is to prevent a team of hijackers from sending their least competent member to smoke out the marshal, at which point the other -- still hidden -- terrorists can wait for their opportunity to take him out.

Bruce
Old Feb 12, 2002, 9:27 am

His LAWYERS have been watching "The Practice" and wrote this for him!!! "thought a hijacking was in progress when the backward ball-cap wearing sky marshall started yelling." BS, he's an arrogant SOB, who should get all that's coming to him.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FWAAA:
Here's an apology from Mr. Bizzaro:

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/020211/110519_1.html

HE thought a hijacking was in progress when the backward ball-cap wearing sky marshall started yelling.
</font>
Old Feb 12, 2002, 10:08 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
One question: did this flight divert to another airport? I remember when a similar situation happened on a flight to DCA, it diverted to BWI, I believe. Or because everyone had their hands over their head they were able to land in SLC?

As per the money-grubbing, it's sad but completely expected. Plenty of people die unexpectedly all the time, but most of us don't get payments from the government for it. Get life insurance and prepare for the unexpected.
Old Feb 12, 2002, 10:13 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Doppy:
The interesting part is that you guys are all playing the violin for this guy who broke the rules. If he had a problem with the rule, he should have taken it up with the proper authority, not just disregarded it.</font>
Doppy, thank you. Yes, I think that a lot of the rules associated with flying these days are stupid.
However, I also know that if you break the rules, you will pay a penalty. Now, you'll excuse me if I don't have sympathy for someone who has been told repeatedly on the flight decides, hey, the rules don't apply to me. Well, I guess they do.

This joker will likely get a hefty fine and will likely do no jail time at all. He deserves it.

I feel no more sympathy for this idiot than I do for the joker who shut down the Atlanta airport.

If you want to break the rules because you think they are stupid, be prepared to suffer the consequences.
Old Feb 12, 2002, 10:24 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Tino:
This is ridiculous. I was told by one of these hostile $6-an-hour stooges that if I couldn't pack my Sunday paper in my backpack, it would count as an extra carryon AND I WOULD HAVE TO CHECK IT. When I told her she was an idiot, I was then face-to-face with an 18 year old holding an M16 who was summoned</font>
Yeah, well, do you think that maybe you shouldn't have called her an idiot? Okay, it's true, and what she said was stupid, but what good did it do you? You ended up starting something that could have ended up very badly for you.

Do you think that maybe you should have politely asked for a supervisor or asked for a little help from the guardsman or the airline rep who's there?

But no, you had to blow up and start a scene. And you're calling the security folks immature?
Old Feb 12, 2002, 10:28 am

Programs: NW Plat (now they call it DL Diamond) 1MM, soon to be DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Dusit Gold
Does this mean that because they had their hands on their heads passenger safety was compromised and at least 3 federal regulations were violated?

Return trays to normal stowed position.
Return seats to a full upright and locked position.
Fasten and tighten seat belts.

In preparation for landing.
Old Feb 12, 2002, 10:29 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by R&R:
Amazing how many posts are refusing to cooperate and share wny responsibility to improve security.

Now that is frightening!
</font>
You are right. The rules are stupid. But if you want to fly, you have to play by them. If you don't like them, write, call, or visit your Congressional reps to get them changed.

But in the meantime, deal with it. Or deal with the consequences.

I have a really hard time generating much sympathy for someone who was told multiple times that he could not get up in the last 30 minutes of the flight who chose to do so anyway, and then acted like a three year old by staring and confronting the crew member who told him to go back to his seat.

Screw him. As far as I am concerned, he ought to cough up the fine and shut up. The more he talks, the more he sounds like a whining crybaby.
Old Feb 12, 2002, 10:31 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
The families of the dead are much better off, at least financially, yet they demand still more. I have run out of sympathy for them.</font>
That is a horrible horrible thing to say.

Old Feb 12, 2002, 10:40 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AS Flyer:
Instead of harping on the Flight Attendants why don't you try smiling at them and ask how there day is going instead of throwing your coat at them and barking out your preflight beverage order as you throw your fourth carry on bag into the overhead. You might be surprised when they smile back and treat you with as much respect. People aren't all that friendly to each other these days, times are different and Flight Attendants are just people, but if you are nice to them then you might find they will be really nice back. </font>
You know, I posted a note a while back talking about a great flight I had. Someone asked me why it seemed I get the fun flight attendants.

Your post above answered the question. When I was being served, for example, I think I was the only one in earshot who actually said those crazy words like "please" and "thank you." I remember a lot of people saying "I want a Coke" and saying nothing when it was set in front of them. That's just rude.
Old Feb 12, 2002, 10:58 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BarryO:
This really is going too far. The other pax had to keep their hands on their heads? Doesn't it remind you of kindergarten, where the teacher punished the whole class for something one person did?

</font>
that I totally agree with.

But for the rest - if he had to go so badly couldn't he at least have tried to ring his call bell and ask the f/a???
Old Feb 12, 2002, 10:59 am
RW

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Soonerman:
How about a new airline for all of you patriots who so boldly claim you wouldn't obey these stupid FAA rules.

You're going to love this new airline. No security checklines since that's too much of an inconvenience and might infringe upon your constitutional right to bear fingernail clippers...
</font>
If that airline did exist it would probably be just as safe as the others...

[This message has been edited by RW (edited 02-12-2002).]
Old Feb 12, 2002, 11:33 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by mdtony:
You know, I posted a note a while back talking about a great flight I had. Someone asked me why it seemed I get the fun flight attendants.

Your post above answered the question. When I was being served, for example, I think I was the only one in earshot who actually said those crazy words like "please" and "thank you." I remember a lot of people saying "I want a Coke" and saying nothing when it was set in front of them. That's just rude.
</font>
I wish you could be on all of my flights. One of you goes a long, long way. Believe it or not, one of you can make up for about 30 jerks with a sense of entitlement. Thank you for treating us like human beings.
Old Feb 12, 2002, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Here's a good question for everyone -

How many times have you written or called an airline because of something that happened to you for which you demanded compensation?

Now -

How many times have you written or called your congressmen, the FAA, the TSA, Tom Ridge or the President?

While everyone here is whining that their rights are being taken away, I'm willing to lay pretty good odds that more people have called the airlines trying to squeeze a few miles out of them because they didn't like the taste of their Coke than have contacted the government over the restriction of their civil liberties.

If you honestly believe that you have legitimate issues with the way things are, and many of you do, contact the people who can do something about it.

FAs have to enforce the rules, or they'll get in trouble and/or the airline will pay a hefty fine. Just because you don't like the fact that you have to stay seated during the last 30 mins doesn't mean that you "act up" like a child and defy the rules. Who are you to be putting the FAs at risk of getting in trouble or being responsible for the airline getting a $10,000 fine?

When you don't like the way something is being done, you need to tell someone who can do something about it, not be a jerk to a security screener or an FA, contact the people who are in charge. Everyone likes to complain, but it only works when you complain to the right people.

Most of you have worked in your lives. When you don't like a company policy or have suggestions to make the company more profitable, who do you tell, the high school intern, who has no control of influence, or your boss/someone higher up in the company? Defying the rules or whining is like complaining to the intern. He's not in a position to make changes, and breaking the rules will only serve to get you in trouble.

d
Old Feb 12, 2002, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Doppy, for once -- maybe the first time -- I totally agree with you. I resent the new "security" procedures as much or more than anybody, but I have NOT complained to anyone in a position to do anything about it. I guess I haven't because I don't think they would listen. But if I put half as much energy into a letter as I put into FT, it might at least make an impression.

Bruce
Old Feb 12, 2002, 1:14 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AS Flyer:
I wish you could be on all of my flights. One of you goes a long, long way. Believe it or not, one of you can make up for about 30 jerks with a sense of entitlement. Thank you for treating us like human beings.</font>
No problem. It's what everyone should be doing anyway, and it's a **** shame that you have to put up with people who don't realize that.

As far as entitlement goes, the only thing I am entitled to is transportation from point a to point b. Sure, I've got elite status, but that doesn't mean that I can act like a jerk. I don't understand the mindset of the people who think that they can.

As for being on your flights, unfortunately, given who you fly for, there are only a couple of flights a day I could be on, and only if I needed to go to Seattle. But rest assured, I'll be sure to treat your flying partners with courtesy and respect.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.