Search

Please call the FAA Security Hotliine 866-289-9673

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2002, 8:20 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Please call the FAA Security Hotliine 866-289-9673

I am making this a separate topic so it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

If you want to see the Express Security lines continue, please call the FAA Security Hotline at 8660289-9673 and voice your concerns.

My conerns are primarily economic. If we don't keep the business flyer in the air, we can't keep the airlines in business and that is bad for the economy in general and especially bad for Boeing, which is our nation's largest exporter and the mainstay of economic survival here in the NorthWest.

If you care about this issue, please do everything you can to be heard by the airlines, the FAA and your own government officials.
Old Feb 21, 2002, 9:32 am

Location: St. Louis, MO - AA PLT/2.98MM (Lifetime PLT), Delta PM, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Programs: TW Elite (RIP), CO OnePass
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Punki:
If you want to see the Express Security lines continue, please call the FAA Security Hotline at 8660289-9673 and voice your concerns.</font>
The only problem I see here is that, unless this telephone number has moved over to the TSA, the FAA doesn't have any control over this matter.

Greg
Old Feb 21, 2002, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Uhh...Greg, the TSA is part of the FAA, not a separate agency, just like Saturn is a part of GM. Calling may be pointless, however. Unlike GM, the federal bureaucrats aren't in business. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif
Old Feb 21, 2002, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Please do call, but tell them you want them to implement a solution for the long term - 10 minute or less wait for everyone.

I know you won't get the ego boost of the elite security line, but it's the best solution for everyone.

d
Old Feb 21, 2002, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA
Eternal busy signal, Punki. Our government has no reason to answer the phone--bet it's off the hook.

(EDITED TO ADD)
Finally got through. The woman I spoke to said that they have been deluged on this topic, but that she would record my comment. So come on, folks. Call 866-289-9673 (that's a correction of the number in the first post).

[This message has been edited by BobMcD (edited 02-21-2002).]
Old Feb 21, 2002, 2:11 pm
ATC

Location: Boston, Freefall: Chairman's Preferred -->Steerage Status
This can't be happening.

Please, please tell me that you guys aren't really deluging the special number established to handle urgent security tips with complaints about waiting a few extra minutes in line?
Old Feb 21, 2002, 2:25 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

People who need to get somewhere for business are not going to let a an extra 20 minutes prevent them from getting there.

Besides, who says airlines need to make money to stay in business? The only airline that consistently makes money is Southwest, and they rely less on business traveller revenue than do the conventional airlines.

If you are wasting the emergency security phone line's time, you are doing us all a disservice.
Old Feb 21, 2002, 2:31 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BobMcD:
Eternal busy signal, Punki. Our government has no reason to answer the phone--bet it's off the hook.

(EDITED TO ADD)
Finally got through ...
</font>
Shoot first and ask questions later. Guess you lost your bet.
Old Feb 21, 2002, 3:01 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
"A few extra minutes"??? Have you traveled recently? Anything over 10 minutes is borderline criminal. Some of the waits are over an hour. Insane!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ATC:
This can't be happening.

Please, please tell me that you guys aren't really deluging the special number established to handle urgent security tips with complaints about waiting a few extra minutes in line?
</font>

------------------
"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither." - Ben Franklin
Old Feb 21, 2002, 3:53 pm

Programs: Vanishing
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ATC:
... with complaints about waiting a few extra minutes in line?</font>
From Delta's web site re waiting times for security at SNA:

Peak 1 hr 30 minutes
Off-peak 5 minutes

Most of the people that are voicing their disappointment here are unfortunately forced to travel during the peak hours. To add 1 hours 25 minutes to the "normal" 5 minutes is hardly "a few extra minutes".
Old Feb 21, 2002, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spiff:
"A few extra minutes"??? Have you traveled recently? Anything over 10 minutes is borderline criminal. Some of the waits are over an hour. Insane!</font>
So you support having less than 10 minute wait for everyone, right? Not just "elites."

d
Old Feb 21, 2002, 5:15 pm
ATC

Location: Boston, Freefall: Chairman's Preferred -->Steerage Status
Hey, I'm standing in line with the rest of you knuckleheads! I know the pain. But I also know the reason for the lines. I know the complexity of the problem. And I'm feeling fairly forgiving now while we sort through the many resource problems and try to make some reasonable assessment regarding real "risk."

However, you miss the thrust of my message. I think it is (criminally?) irresponsible to clog up the specifically established 9/11 FAA Security Hotline to voice your "I had to wait 70 minutes in security once, WAH-WAH-WAH, and I am an ELITE" concerns.

There are other vehicles to voice your displeasure.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by L-1011:
From Delta's web site re waiting times for security at SNA:

Peak 1 hr 30 minutes
Off-peak 5 minutes

Most of the people that are voicing their disappointment here are unfortunately forced to travel during the peak hours. To add 1 hours 25 minutes to the "normal" 5 minutes is hardly "a few extra minutes".
</font>
Old Feb 21, 2002, 5:35 pm

Programs: Vanishing
I think it is (criminally?) irresponsible to clog up the specifically established 9/11 FAA Security Hotline to voice your "I had to wait 70 minutes in security once, WAH-WAH-WAH, and I am an ELITE" concerns.

There are other vehicles to voice your displeasure.
</font>
It would be irresponsible if there was anything "hot" to report. In the 5 months since 9/11, what has there been? I can't think of anything that would warrant a special hotline for reporting.

This line is as good a vehicle as any to voice concern, displeasure and whatnot.
Old Feb 21, 2002, 6:29 pm

Programs: UA 1k, AA Plt, MR Lifetime Plat & Amb
Hey, I'm standing in line with the rest of you knuckleheads! I know the pain. But I also know the reason for the lines</font>
Do you know the reason for the long lines? It has nothing to do with security, this point proven time and time again since 911 with serious lapses in security. The reason is simply"Make the travelling public feel safer." - George W. Bush, (bold added)

Can you tell me you haven't personally witnessed screening practices that at best are complete failures? I have flown 35+ flights this year with tweasers and finger nail clippers - file intact and not once been questioned. My sewing kit was taken away at about the 20th flight.

I am truely affended by our governments knee jerk reaction and complete lack of sense on this subject. Please don't try and justify it on their behalf. RE: elected officials.

As far as government employees, I worked for the INS for a short time and was shocked at the attitudes and behavior of everyone. I won't expand. This could have been a problem in this office only but... If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then...
Old Feb 21, 2002, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by L-1011:
It would be irresponsible if there was anything "hot" to report. In the 5 months since 9/11, what has there been?</font>
And before 9/11 we would never have expected such a terrorist plot to go off.

Unless you can apply your 20/20 hindsight from the past 5 months to the next 5 months, you don't really know what could be reported, do you? The FBI says there are sleepers in the US waiting to do something. The government is also very adamant that Al Queda is regrouping, preparing for their next feat.

Besides that, why should we clog up a hotline with irrelevant information, when there are actual emergencies going on?

Ever called 911? I've called it a few times in real emergencies and had to wait up to a minute to get through. Often these delays in getting through are because people call to report things like loud music and other nonsense. Use the proper channels to voice your concerns. I don't call up UA to complain when AmEx messes up my bill, why would I call an emergency hotline when what I'm talking about is handled by a different dept.?

d

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.