Please call the FAA Security Hotliine 866-289-9673

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please call the FAA Security Hotliine 866-289-9673

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2002, 10:36 pm
Suspended

Add me to the list of thinking that this is an inappropriate use of a security hotline.
Old Feb 21, 2002, 10:43 pm

Programs: United 1K MM - 1.7M actually, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ATC:
This can't be happening.

Please, please tell me that you guys aren't really deluging the special number established to handle urgent security tips with complaints about waiting a few extra minutes in line?
</font>
Urgent security tips?

I read a post tofay that a bomb sniffing dog smelled gumbo and they had to empty the terminal...like that?

You can't be serious.

There are dozens and dozens of security people, police, National Guard at every terminal I have been to -- probably 25 since 9/11

Do you mean to tell me that if you see something that you think is wrong, you are going to whip out your cell phone, grab your Palm Pilot, punch in a few codes, and come up with the Toll free number to US Security so you can make a report?

Why don't you just walk over to the local cop and tell him what (you think) you saw.

I read that 40% of the American public (according to USA Today) believes that air travel is still unsafe -- the same % as right after 9/11

Maybe that's because of all the security, the national guard, the searches of invalids in wheelchairs.

Let's not be concerned that we are unduly tying up the phone lines, ok?

Old Feb 21, 2002, 10:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
Actually, this is the number and line which were given to me by the FAA to register my thoughts.

The FAA Security Hotline lady to whom I spoke seemed to think my input extremely appropriate and we enjoyed a most pleasant conversation which culminated with her thanking me for my input.

I guess I am missing something here????
Old Feb 22, 2002, 5:06 am

Programs: AA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Punki:
Actually, this is the number and line which were given to me by the FAA to register my thoughts.

The FAA Security Hotline lady to whom I spoke seemed to think my input extremely appropriate and we enjoyed a most pleasant conversation which culminated with her thanking me for my input.

I guess I am missing something here????
</font>
You're not missing a thing, Punki. The top priority and first act of the TSA is to put a halt to the expediting of business travelers through our nation's airports. Not the reduction of waiting time for all of us. Not the screening of all baggage. Not even improving the training and educational levels of the inspection teams.

No, the most important thing our new federal geniuses can do is make sure that American business has its people spending hours in security lines if they think they need to travel. Dirty capitalists! They're what's wrong with America, and our greatest obligation to correct. Safety? Nah, we got plenty of time to deal with that.
Old Feb 22, 2002, 7:03 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BobMcD:
Eternal busy signal, Punki. Our government has no reason to answer the phone--bet it's off the hook.

(EDITED TO ADD)
Finally got through. The woman I spoke to said that they have been deluged on this topic, but that she would record my comment. So come on, folks. Call 866-289-9673 (that's a correction of the number in the first post).

[This message has been edited by BobMcD (edited 02-21-2002).]
</font>
I'm sure they have all available resources at the Federal level manning the IRS hotlines right now...service is their number one priority you know. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

Is there any way we can get more business nationalized...they do such a better job at it.
Old Feb 22, 2002, 7:08 am

If the line wasn't busy and they answered on the first ring, Bobmcd or dingo would no doubt complain about lazy Feds sitting on their butts waiting for the phone to ring.
Old Feb 22, 2002, 7:37 am

Programs: AA
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dhacker:
If the line wasn't busy and they answered on the first ring, Bobmcd or dingo would no doubt complain about lazy Feds sitting on their butts waiting for the phone to ring.</font>
Thanks for sharing the Washington DC perspective, dHacker. I'm sure a lot of people there agree with you that business travelers are the first and most important safety problem in air travel.
Old Feb 22, 2002, 7:41 am
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Absolutely. I also support eliminating all pointless security for everyone. No one, elite or not should be wanded if they don't set off the magnetometer. No one, elite or not should be subjected to these stupid, pointless "random security" checks at the gate. And most of all, no one, elite or not, should have to wait more than a total of ten minutes (5 would be better) for all security screening.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Doppy:
So you support having less than 10 minute wait for everyone, right? Not just "elites."

d
</font>
------------------
"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither." - Ben Franklin
Old Feb 22, 2002, 7:42 am

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Hello I just called the line. My first question was - "I have no urgent security tip, is this still the line I should call?" The response was yes.

We then had a discussion about elite lines. I made it known that until we have an average 10 minute wait the elite lines are not a perfect solution but the best that we can do. He did mention that he personally has received hundreds of calls complaining about the removal and a few saying thanks because they feel it is not fair to have them.

All in all a pleasant conversation took my name said it is added to a database that is reviewed. Oh well! I'm sure that now my name is in a database - I'll be selected very frequently at random of course http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/wink.gif
Old Feb 22, 2002, 7:47 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by BobMcD:
Thanks for sharing the Washington DC perspective, dHacker. I'm sure a lot of people there agree with you that business travelers are the first and most important safety problem in air travel.</font>
This will be my last post on this thread because I don't want get into flame war.

I said absolutely nothing about the policies involved, so you must be a mind reader if you think you know my position on the matter. I was just highlighting your blind bashing of federal employees that you apparently know nothing about. Now you extend that and smear me for my proximity to the capital.

[This message has been edited by dhacker (edited 02-22-2002).]
Old Feb 22, 2002, 7:49 am
Original Member

I'm calling the hotline to report Dudemon's tweezers. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif
Old Feb 22, 2002, 7:52 am

And I think it is criminally irresponsible of the FAA to chronically delay me (your 70 minute example is hardly unusual these days), empty terminals on a whim (zero tolerance is a crock - use some common sense!), and violate my civil liberties with unreasonable and unjustified searches. If I can bring this unhappiness to their attention with a phone call to a "hotline" then by God I will and I hope everyone else who is tired of these games does too. These folks have blinders on to the havoc their thoughtlessly implemented "security" procedures are causing all of us!

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ATC:
However, you miss the thrust of my message. I think it is (criminally?) irresponsible to clog up the specifically established 9/11 FAA Security Hotline to voice your "I had to wait 70 minutes in security once, WAH-WAH-WAH, and I am an ELITE" concerns.

There are other vehicles to voice your displeasure.

</font>

------------------
"Those who would sacrifice liberty for safety deserve neither." - Ben Franklin
Old Feb 22, 2002, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Spiff,

You are a plain-speaking man with common sense. I guess people get that way in Louisville (I lived there during 1988-90). You often express my views better than I could myself. Thanks!

Bruce
Old Feb 22, 2002, 8:57 am

Aw, shucks. Thanks, Bruce. You do a good job of expressing the concerns that many of us have over modern airport "security" too. Maybe the Louisville atmosphere has some kind of effect? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/smile.gif

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
Spiff,

You are a plain-speaking man with common sense. I guess people get that way in Louisville (I lived there during 1988-90). You often express my views better than I could myself. Thanks!

Bruce
</font>
Old Feb 22, 2002, 2:41 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
should i report this to the hotline?

tue 2/19, 215 pm (1415hrs), terminal a gates 15-25 at dfw.

daughter was returning to gotham, i was accompaning her. i found that i could get thru security with my ac card and id. so we went to the ac.

it took about 2 minutes to get thru the security screening and ten minutes later, she was in the ac and i was driveing home. also got out of dfw with out having to pay. (30 min free for pick up or drop off when you the same end to go in and out).

where did they goof?

edit to add.... did the feds take over on the 20th?

[This message has been edited by clacko (edited 02-22-2002).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.