Reload this Page >

Making mortgage payments with a CC for miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Making mortgage payments with a CC for miles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2008, 8:29 am

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Originally Posted by sbm12
With what sort of fee? That's always the sticking point on this type of transaction. You get all these miles, but the fees make them cost more than just buying whatever you were going to use the miles for in many cases.

PS- Welcome to FlyerTalk!!
At NYU here in the US the fee was 3% but to a max of $100. Since I only did it to cover the float time between tuition due and loans posting, and never had to pay interest, it worked out fine for me. The $100 was well worth it because a) I didn't have that kind of cash and b) SPG points.
Old Dec 22, 2008, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by travellingcari
At NYU here in the US the fee was 3% but to a max of $100. Since I only did it to cover the float time between tuition due and loans posting, and never had to pay interest, it worked out fine for me. The $100 was well worth it because a) I didn't have that kind of cash and b) SPG points.
If the fee is capped at a reasonable price as yours was then it does make sense. I just fear for people whose eyes light up at the thought of all those points without taking into account the real cost of doing so. The points for taking out a mortgage is a similar effect. Seems great until you realize that your interest rate is higher and you're paying for those points for 15-30 years.
Old Dec 23, 2008, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by TechAirman
You'll have to ask your credit card company if they can send you a purchase check instead of a cash advance check. If you can get the purchase check then pay for the CC charge by your next due date and you're safe. In the event that the only option is the cash advance check then keep checking your online CC account to find out when the charge posts to your CC account. Be prepared to make an immediate online payment to your CC account in order to minimize the cash advance interest charged. Remember the benefit of this exercise is earning miles with the cash that you were going to pay the mortgage company which earns 0 miles.
RE: Purchase Checks, do they come across as regular (i.e. mile earning) transactions?

If so, what is to stop someone from say writing a $9,999 purchase check to a friend each month (to avoid pesky US Treasury notifications)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.