Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

ALERT: Signs of Impending Change in Hotel Brand — Please List Hotel Properties Here

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ALERT: Signs of Impending Change in Hotel Brand — Please List Hotel Properties Here

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2003, 6:33 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

If part of your reason for staying at a hotel property is due to its participation in a frequent point program (and therefore accumulating points from that respective hotel program), it seems that a hotel property that appears to be neglected or run-down is one of the tell-tale signs of hotel brand and/or ownership changing on a hotel property. Lack of good service is usually another sign.

This thread containing a post concerning the Fort Lauderdale Airport Hilton becoming a Wyndham, as well as several other threads scattered about various forums (fora?) around FlyerTalk that I have observed but currently cannot immediately find, seem to indicate a change in hotel brand or ownership is usually due, planned, or is in the works primarily due to a run-down or neglected property, or due to a noticeable lack of service. One reason may be because a hotel chain is ready to rid itself of that property and therefore wants to invest as little capital into that property as possible.

Unlike airlines or car rental companies, hotels are unique in the travel industry where they can take individual units of their business and buy, sell or trade them — often with little or no notice to their customers.

The purpose of this thread is to alert FlyerTalkers who are loyal to hotel brands to be warned of changes in hotel brand at properties worldwide. Hopefully, this thread will provide a continuing useful service to FlyerTalkers worldwide.

As happened to me in Andover, Massachusetts when the Marriott there suddenly became a Wyndham several years ago and I did not know about it until I arrived at the property for my reservation (and therefore did not earn Marriott Rewards points), I would like to try to prevent this from happening to other FlyerTalkers.

Please list candidates of hotel properties which are changing hotel brands, or that is suspected or planned to do so.
Old Nov 22, 2003, 6:40 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums
Original Poster

Here are two threads concerning the changing of brands of the Hilton Sydney Airport in Australia:

Sydney Airport Hilton to become Mercure
Sydney Airport Hilton to become Accor

Notice that once again FlyerTalkers were not overly thrilled with this property in both threads — again, a sign of the property eventually changing hotel brands.
Old Nov 22, 2003, 10:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Renaissance Wailea (Maui), one of the best places in the world to use a Marriott Travel Package IMHO, is rumored to be changing to something else - I think a Starwood.
Old Nov 22, 2003, 10:57 am

The Rayavadee, Thailand , one of the finest luxurious hotels of starwood will leave starwood at January 15th 2004.
No news yet, if they close up to another chain or stay independent as one of "The leading hotels of the world".
Old Nov 22, 2003, 11:22 am

Programs: LH Sen // HH Dia; Bonvoy LTTE
Inter-Continental Stuttgart will close on 31DEC2003.

------------------
Pictures from hotel stays
Basic Hotel stays/nights/points calculator
Short overview: KLM FD, LH M&M

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.