Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Loyalmatch, sellingmiles.com, flyhub.com: has anyone used all three to sell miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Loyalmatch, sellingmiles.com, flyhub.com: has anyone used all three to sell miles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2008, 10:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Question Loyalmatch, sellingmiles.com, flyhub.com: has anyone used all three to sell miles

Hey there

After reading about loyalmatch here I went to their site, not bad at all, I actually liked it. I have been selling my miles on CL, and flyhub.com, and my identity is fully protected on each site, I was wondering about whether or not it's the case on loyalmatch. Has anyone used these three sites to sell their miles? Which would you recommend? (the best of all 3?)
Old Dec 9, 2008, 7:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Welcome to FlyerTalk!!

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think that your identity is fully protected?

When you complete a transaction with an airline plant and your account is closed it isn't going to matter too much what the privacy policy of the site says.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 8:07 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
If I recall correctly, when mrmileage was shut down by a lawsuit, the list of customers went to the airline.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 9:37 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sbm12
Welcome to FlyerTalk!!

Just out of curiosity, what makes you think that your identity is fully protected?

When you complete a transaction with an airline plant and your account is closed it isn't going to matter too much what the privacy policy of the site says.

flyhub.com privacy policy is clear about this, I've sold many miles on their site, they don't even give the buyer the seller information. But flyhub privacy policy is not even the point here. Am I the only one who has a problem with airlines telling people what to do with their miles? My god, I'm surprised there hasn't been a class action lawsuit against airlines over this. This is absurd, guys think about it, we own these miles, we earn them and they tell us we can give them away but not sell them. Yes I sell my miles on several sites, www.craigslist.org, www.flyhub.com, www.sellingmiles.com, and ebay. Now I'm looking to sell on loyaltymatch.com.

I spend my life on airplane, my job demands it, so I always end with a ridiculously high number of miles that I can never use, because I travel so much for work, I tend to stay home for my vacation. Let me just say that my company always fly me first class and pays a fortune for these tickets, so the airlines make a lot of money already. In return I earn miles and not only do airlines make it nearly impossible to book the dates one wants for a decent amount of miles, but they also impose this absurd rule that states that we cannot dispose of the miles we OWN in whatever way we choose. Sure we can give them away, but god forbid should we ever make money by selling them, they will punish us. And we all accept our fate.

Am I the only one who sees something wrong here. Who the hell are they to tell us what to do with something we own? Don't they make enough money as it is? Don't they charge us an arm and a leg for a ticket already? I really hope someday soon someone actually sues them for daring to tell people what to do with their own property, that what should be illegal. Airlines should not be allowed or get away with threatening people selling their miles.

Has anyone ever tried to issue a ticket with their miles? I once did just that: I tried to get a friend a ticket and it was a nightmarish experience. So, guess what I do with my miles now? I SELL them! that's right, I no longer waste them as I once did, now I make a lot of extra cash selling them. I have been for the past years. First on www.craigslist.org, then on www.ebay.com, then on a site like www.flyhub.com and now I will also give www.loyalmatch.com a shot.

Is it illegal? NO, and if the airlines could make it illegal they would have a long time ago. Think about it.
Could you get in trouble if you got caught? YES, but for example, sites like flyhub have a very strict privacy policy. They allow frequent flyers to buy and sell miles or issue tickets without ever exposing either the buyer or the seller, not even to one another. It's the stubhub of airline tickets, so you never have to worry about getting caught and the airline have absolutely no way of knowing who sold what.

Loyalmatch.com might have a similar privacy policy, not sure, never used them. But I'll definitely check it out and start using it too. In short I'm really getting sick and tired of these greedy and controlling airlines, and I think it is time we end this nonsense. I take pride in fighting back by making money from my miles, and I will continue to do that.

I encourage you all to do the same: sell your miles, and do so in a way that protects your interest, in the shadow of any company that is willing to protect your identity
Old Dec 10, 2008, 7:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by flyerd
Which would you recommend? (the best of all 3?)
None. Some of us have way too many miles in our account to risk on something like that.

Welcome to FlyerTalk
Old Dec 10, 2008, 8:25 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Hey there

After reading about loyalmatch here I went to their site, not bad at all, I actually liked it. I have been selling my miles on CL, and flyhub.com, and my identity is fully protected on each site, I was wondering about whether or not it's the case on loyalmatch. Has anyone used these three sites to sell their miles? Which would you recommend? (the best of all 3?)
What is CL?
Old Dec 10, 2008, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, UA & thanks to FTers for my PC Gold!
Originally Posted by al613
What is CL?
Following OP's line of inquiry, I am guessing it's Craigslist.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 9:00 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Originally Posted by lin821
Following OP's line of inquiry, I am guessing it's Craigslist.
then its not good for sure
Old Dec 10, 2008, 10:36 pm

Programs: BA, LH, BD
spam in disguise?
Old Dec 10, 2008, 10:41 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by al613
What is CL?
Yes it is craigslist. It's a great site, really. I've sold my miles on it before, but it only works if you are selling to someone who's local, on CL you're on your own, whereas sellingmiles.com, and flyhub.com handle all aspects of the transaction and protects buyers and sellers. In my case though I have more miles than I can ever use. I live on planes. I travel so much for work that not having to fly is actually a vacation. I was losing miles all the times, it just did not make sense. That's why I started selling them. It sucks that airlines make it this difficult. The miles are mine

Last edited by flyerd; Dec 10, 2008 at 10:46 pm Reason: add
Old Dec 10, 2008, 10:48 pm

Yes it is craigslist. It's a great site, really. I've sold my miles on it before, but it is challenging.
Selling miles is always a bad idea because the airlines can just go after you and freeze your account. Just read the terms of each and every FFP that you have miles or hotel points in. You know they put it in writing that selling is not allowed.

I've heard so many Craigslist stories the sellers got caught and buyers tickets voided by the airlines. You just haven't got caught yet. Use it as your own risk.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:17 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Selling miles is always a bad idea because the airlines can just go after you and freeze your account. Just read the terms of each and every FFP that you have miles or hotel points in. You know they put it in writing that selling is not allowed.

I've heard so many Craigslist stories the sellers got caught and buyers tickets voided by the airlines. You just haven't got caught yet. Use it as your own risk.
You are right, it can be, risky, that's why I prefer flyhub.com and sellingmiles, airlines have no way of knowing, unless of course they drag these companies to court to get my information. But that's beside the point. The real question and issue is why do I have to hide to sell my miles anyway, and why are airlines getting away with it? I guarantee it's only a matter of time before some smart lawyer drops a class action lawsuit on these airlines, I can't wait really. Someone needs to do this, because again it's simply wrong to tell people what to do with their property. That's my point
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:37 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Someone needs to do this, because again it's simply wrong to tell people what to do with their property. That's my point
You are assuming that the airlines would offer the same package of benefits to frequent fliers even if awards could be freely sold. That assumption is incorrect. The package would be worth much less than it is now, if it would be offered at all. Restrictions on transfer are integral to the programs, not an afterthought. Without them the programs would cost the airlines much more in lost revenue.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:39 pm

airlines have no way of knowing, unless of course they drag these companies to court to get my information.
Not necessarily.

Airlines can trace your account from the passengers (or whoever are using your miles/points). Just use "selling miles" as key words and search any of the airline forum on FT. You'll see how many folks got busted.

it's simply wrong to tell people what to do with their property. That's my point
I am no expert on this but I do know the miles are not your property, at least according to the airlines. They can even stop or discontinue FFPs at any time. Like I say, read the terms and conditions of each FFPs you have miles in. That's what you agree to when signing up. This had also been discussed on FT extensively. Just spend time reading and researching this board. You'll know how this topic had been covered.

Here's one example for you: AAdvantage Terms And Conditions (bolding mine)

Except as otherwise explained below, mileage credit is not transferable and may not be combined among AAdvantage members, their estates, successors and assigns. Accrued mileage credit and award tickets do not constitute property of the member. Neither accrued mileage, nor award tickets, nor upgrades are transferable by the member (i) upon death, (ii) as part of a domestic relations matter, or (iii) otherwise by operation of law. However, American Airlines, in its sole discretion, may credit accrued mileage to persons specifically identified in court approved divorce decrees and wills upon receipt of documentation satisfactory to American Airlines and upon payment of any applicable fees. Mileage credit is transferable between AAdvantage accounts when offered by AA online, with the shareAAmilesSM program. The member must adhere to the rules and limitations of the shareAAmiles program.
The bottom line is airlines don't allow you to sell "your" miles. Period.
Old Dec 10, 2008, 11:48 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Not necessarily.

Airlines can trace your account from the passengers (or whoever are using your miles/points). Just use "selling miles" as key words and search any of the airline forum on FT. You'll see how many folks got busted.

I am no expert on this but I do know the miles are not your property, at least according to the airlines. They can even stop or discontinue FFPs at any time. Like I say, read the terms and conditions of each FFPs you have miles in. That's what you agree to when signing up. This had also been discussed on FT extensively. Just spend time reading and researching this board. You'll know how this topic had been covered.

Here's one example for you: AAdvantage Terms And Conditions (bolding mine)

The bottom line is airlines don't allow you to sell "your" miles. Period.

You are right, it's bold black and white, unequivocally clear. I'm not disputing the policy, I know what it states. That's still doesn't make it right. My company spends a fortune to fly me first class every week. The airlines are making a killing, they sell these tickets for a fortune. The least they can do is allow me to do as I wish with my miles. But hey, that's me, I'm stubborn like that. It'd be fine if I could use them, but in my case, I have no need to use them, I have so many miles it'd be a huge waste not to do anything with them. Ok, I rest my case, I do get your point, hope you get mine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.