Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Should I renew Privilege Flyer AwardGuard?

Old Nov 19, 2003, 8:49 am
Original Poster

I just received my renewal notification in the mail. The cost for an additional year is $119. If I let my policy lapse I won't be able to renew is because the program is closed for new AwardGuard enrollments.

I originally purchased this policy to protect my UA and US accounts. I have about 75K miles in UA and a much more significant balance in US. My concern is the US is far from being financially healthy.

I'd appreciate any comments.

Jay
Old Nov 19, 2003, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
Now that the once imminent fear of UA going belly up has subsided, I think AwardGuard is not a very smart investment. If you are really worried about losing hundreds of thousands of US miles, then perhaps $119 is a reasonable insurance cost, but I'd pass. A better insurance policy may be to burn US miles early and often if you continue to doubt their financial stability.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 10:30 am
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Buying an Award Guard membership is a good way to say thank you to Randy for his financial support of flyertalk.
Old Nov 19, 2003, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by nsx:
Buying an Award Guard membership is a good way to say thank you to Randy for his financial support of flyertalk.</font>
So true. Without Randy and flyertalk, many of us would probably have never found out the ways to reap, let alone earn, all the mileage and points bonuses that we are protecting!
Old Mar 8, 2017, 3:26 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Does anyone here still have AwardGuard or am I the last one?

My membership renewal is approaching. I have more miles and points than ever, but I'm not sure they're actually worth more than what I had 10 years ago. Also it's hard to image the airlines going bankrupt without a simultaneous crash in the economy which would limit both my eagerness to travel and my chance of collecting anything. Maybe it's time to drop the membership as part of simplifying my miles and points chaos.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 11:33 am
SST

I still renew each year. I have 300k UA, 1M+ AA, 150k DL and a slew of WN, Jet Blue and others as despite being known as Mr International Travel I just collect more as I go---- So yes, I keep renewing. Wish it covered BA, VS and Singapore, too. <br /><br />It seems cheap at that level of miles should they collude to end these programs. A sort of consolation prize after all these years of travel, <br /><br />note: I am not a hoarder. I've blown through 3M AA miles over the years, 500,000 BA, and 400,000 UA, and tons of Southwest, US, NW, Hilton, Hyatt, Starwood, and Radisson points. Earn and burn, and earn some more--- And I regularly use 200k+ for into trips. Yet.......
Old Apr 2, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
I was a member from the start. So appreciative to Randy and team by being innovative throughout this game, including offering the insurance. It made me feel better when I had a large bank of TWA, Continental/Eastern and other miles. I finally dropped it last year as the airlines have stabilized and the risk doesn't seem to be there (even though I do significant miles in the bank). And so I miss the InsideFlyer magazine ...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.