Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Goldpoints: LL Bean: 100 miles/ dollar???

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Goldpoints: LL Bean: 100 miles/ dollar???

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2003, 1:35 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Analise:
Oh well. I have a Gold Points card from Food Emporium. Is that the same Gold Points?</font>
Yes. Purchase $100 worth of peanut butter, $100 worth of jelly, and $100 worth of bread, get 1 mile per dollar if you use your Citibank AAdvantage card. Easy 300 miles!!! Hurry!

Old Aug 22, 2003, 3:05 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Spiff:
Yes. Purchase $100 worth of peanut butter, $100 worth of jelly, and $100 worth of bread, get 1 mile per dollar if you use your Citibank AAdvantage card. Easy 300 miles!!! Hurry!

</font>
I called and tried to register but was told that a code is needed. Please post the promotion code so that others may take advantage of this offer.
Old Aug 23, 2003, 10:19 am

I’m amazed by how relatively little “Buzz” this discovery generated. Call it the L.L. Bean Dip, the Roe Bug Deal, whatever, this was certainly the best frequent “fly”er promotions ever.

Purchase of a $1.25 fly earned 2,000 GoldPoints, or 1,600 GP/$. Recall how excited everyone got over GoldPoints' ValuMags promotion in 2000? That one earned 450 GP/$. Yes, this produced 3.5 times more GoldPoints than the ValueMags deal.

Sure, GoldPoints has changed the rules since 2000 to limit and devalue direct transfers of GP to miles, but it was still a great bargain. $625 of fly purchases could have been used for a quick 125,000 miles on Air Canada, American, America West, Asiana, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Continental, Delta, EL AL, Gulf Air, Icelandair, GlobalPass, Mexicana, Midwest Express, Northwest, United, or US Airways. That’s $0.005/mile or 200 miles/$. For comparison, in the ValueMags era, the net was only 112 miles/$. Plus, fishing flies are a lot easier to sell on e-bay. With the range of airlines included, this was a great top-out strategy.

Taking the indirect route to transfer GoldPoints to Diner’s Club Rewards to British Airways under the current 1-to-1 transfer promotion (or the next one?) effectively eliminated the limit on the number of miles that could’ve been earned in a year, and was even a slightly better bargain (even after taking into account the DC $0.95 assessment per 1,000 miles). It works out to about 206 BA miles/$. Thus, unlimited trips in ClubWorld from the US to Europe for $485. [I know, I know, it would have been much better before BA changed the rules (e.g., $728 for SFO-LHR-BKK-SYD-SIN-LHR-SFO in First), but you used to be able to buy a Hershey Bar for a penny, too…]

As neophyte noted, the Radisson hotel stays are also a great value. Lots of relatively nice hotel stays to be had for as low as $10.94/night (35,000 GPs for a 2-night weekend at a Tier 1 property).

With the transfer options from GoldPoints to Diner Club Rewards, many other options were possible that might have been equally appealing (e.g., onward transfers to Starwood Perferred Guest or Amtrak, etc.).

As for the time and hassle of placing the orders, that’s somewhat true. However, I have it on good account that 80 orders per hour were easily possible, even by skilled 8-year olds with DSL connections. That’s 25,000 miles/hour. As for the difficulty in getting the GoldPoints to post, I don’t doubt there will be some of that, too. But for some, the points have already posted. The rest should receive them eventually…

Props to zrs70, neophyte, and kempis for working this all out. It sounds like Duckman was way ahead of the pack, though.
Old Aug 24, 2003, 11:01 am

hey pudding guy ,what would you do with the 2million points ihave from value mags?
Old Aug 25, 2003, 5:22 pm

See - I told you so - Pudding Guy itself backed us up !
Too bad, I was too chicken and too busy to try it on a real scale.
By the way, my second strategy above - "Never pity a fool" seems to be the still alive and well.
Hint: I already received first $3.75 refund for $5 GiftCert, but it could've been $498.75 as well.

GoldPoints are out of picture, but who would prevent us from going through other shopping portals?
For instance, Upromise has an offer (expire 08/27) for $6 back for any LL Bean purchase.

Anyone care to work out this idea tonight? It could be even better then GoldPoints.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 1:05 am

Get 6$ back per order? What if I order for less then 6$? Will I actually get money back? What if I order a 5$ gift certificate? Will that be free?
Old Aug 26, 2003, 2:18 am

Programs: BD / BA / AF
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pudding Guy:
I’m amazed by how relatively little “Buzz” this discovery generated. Call it the L.L. Bean Dip, the Roe Bug Deal, whatever, this was certainly the best frequent “fly”er promotions ever.</font>
Problem is, after the last Goldpoints fiasco, a lot of people simply don't trust them and don't want to do business with them. No matter how good the deal, I'll never do business with this bunch of charlatans again.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
FWIT, my points are begining to post.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 8:57 am

L.L. Bean's marketing department has some interesting approaches. They obviously don't know their own products and policies too well. How else can you explain giving away $6 (or the like in GoldPoints) for someone who makes a $1.25 purchase?

The Upromise thing isn't my sort of deal (which is maybe why I'm miles-rich and cash-poor). I'll be interested to hear how that one turns out, though. Upromise seems to have T&Cs that would allow them to reverse any "contributions" (as they put it) that they decide were based on abuse of their program. Given that, and the extremely long time they suggest it takes for one to actually receive the funds, it seems a little dicey.

Back to Goldpoints and martino, the best values now seem to be using the points for hotel stays.
Old Aug 26, 2003, 12:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pudding Guy:
Upromise seems to have T&Cs that would allow them to reverse any "contributions" (as they put it) that they decide were based on abuse of their program. Given that, and the extremely long time they suggest it takes for one to actually receive the funds, it seems a little dicey.</font>
Contributions to my UPromise account are quite frequently adjusted (due to error, not abuse) long after they have posted. Also, a contribution to UPromise is not equivalent to cash.
Old Sep 5, 2003, 5:38 pm

None of these purchases of roe bugs which have been charged and delivered, have gone through on goldpoints, has anyone else had their points post?

also, is it me or do they not respond to correspondence you send them?
Old Sep 5, 2003, 8:24 pm

Made just one purchase of those roe bugs. Never got the second e-mail from LLBean confirming the delivery. E-mailed them with the request to resend me a copy of that e-mail. Not even an attempt to answer. No points from Goldpoints either so far.
Old Sep 12, 2003, 10:33 pm

None of mine have posted either, but the rules say 4-6 weeks after the item was shipped so i guess they still have more time. I called them but they won't do anythign until 6 weeks pass. My guess is that after the 6 weeks, we are going to have to fight for the points.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by kawoh:
None of these purchases of roe bugs which have been charged and delivered, have gone through on goldpoints, has anyone else had their points post?
</font>
Old Sep 12, 2003, 11:07 pm

This big fish got away.

I've heard that L.L. Bean isn't going to pay GoldPoints for any of these purchases. As a result, GoldPoints isn't planning to post any points. Those that have posted already will likely be taken away.

GoldPoints' position is understandable. L.L. Bean is the problem.

L.L. Bean's Loss Prevention group apparently doesn't have a sense of humor.
Old Sep 13, 2003, 12:45 am

You break my heart, Pudding Guy. Are you trying to tell me that I'm out $10 (they've refunded unused balance of every GC with a check, can you believe that ?)
Anyway, are they going to rescind the transactions and return the money then - I hardly believe it, it will cost them less just to grant the d*a*m*n points. If not we're going to haunt them with our multicolored collections of fishing hooks until all the fishing ponds of hell freeze over
Seriously, I don't think anyone had the time to do a serious spree here, at least no one is bragging here.

[This message has been edited by neophyte (edited 09-13-2003).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.