Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rank the value of miles on the 6 legacy carriers

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2008, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boraxo
Depends on what you mean. If you mean using 90k miles for an international business class ticket that would cost $9k, you are getting 10cpm though I would agree that value is somewhat inflated as I would never pay that sum for personal travel.
That's exactly what I mean.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 9:08 pm

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
I agree with the ranking of AA, UA, NW/US, CO, DL from my experience as a general member. What I'm most interested in is how this changes for elite members. As a platinum on NW I've rarely not been able to get at least an itinerary very close to my ideal times/locations. How do DL or CO compare in this regard? Or the others? I'm afraid I'll have to find a new home after next year and this would weigh heavily into the equation.
Old Oct 19, 2008, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by robbert
I agree with the ranking of AA, UA, NW/US, CO, DL from my experience as a general member. What I'm most interested in is how this changes for elite members. As a platinum on NW I've rarely not been able to get at least an itinerary very close to my ideal times/locations. How do DL or CO compare in this regard? Or the others? I'm afraid I'll have to find a new home after next year and this would weigh heavily into the equation.
You should NOT redeem on any US carrier metal period. Redeem on their quality foreign alliance partners.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 5:53 am

Programs: WN A-List; Hyatt Glob: CC/HH Gold, Hertz 5*
We're outsourcing enough, don't you think?
Old Oct 20, 2008, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
for me:

AA first cuz you can redeem almost anything and for me, most any time.
Plus there are so many good ways to earn many AA miles.

I use them a lot for BOS-to island destinations.

Next is NW.
For me, BOS-AMS non stop is key. This 50k flight can almost always be found for family and self when we visit relatives overseas. Cant beat that when you have little kids and time NOT being in connections or airports is paramount.

Then UA works for ski and west destinations. 25k still getcha there so long as you avoid CHI (unless going there for something)

I will fly the partners of said airlines but have chosen to earn miles on the carriers above.

MM
Old Oct 20, 2008, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by holtju2
You should NOT redeem on any US carrier metal period. Redeem on their quality foreign alliance partners.
amen to that.
Old Oct 20, 2008, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UA Fan
amen to that.
Yes, use the foreign partners whenever possible, especially in coach.

Personally, I consider AA (and to a slightly lesser extent UA) as having "hard currency" (almost as good as money in the bank) and the rest of the carriers as having "soft currency."

As a OnePass plat, there are advantages to me of having CO miles, and their currency is slightly more valuable to me than some of the others (and the Amtrak conversion is nice if you ever want to take a train).

US miles are bad for domestic travellers, but good for access to Star Alliance partners (new fees are an issue, however).

DL has not had a good program, and I do fear that nothing will now be available in the lowest category. Using monetary terms, that would be a "devaluation."
Old Oct 21, 2008, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA_MP, SPG
amen to that.
Yes, I agree; I use my UA miles for international flights only.
Old Oct 22, 2008, 7:10 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by robbert
I have elite status with AA, UA, NW and DL and previously also with US and CO. I wouldn't change my rankings from the perspective of my accounts or that of relatives or friends without elite status in the programs.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 4:23 pm

Question Comparing actual awards

Is there anywhere on here or on the net that you can find the value of the miles as actually regards awards. I.e. a comparison chart of how many miles are needed for all/various airlines to a certain dest/region/etc.
Have searched and searched but can't find anything, as usual probably using wrong keywords.
I remember a few years back seeing something as described, but can't remember where it was online or if it was just someone's personal file they had created.
Any help would be appreciated
Thanks Mike

P.s.- availability is not an issue with me
Old Oct 28, 2008, 1:08 pm

Any thoughts on Alaska Milage Plus account. I feel its has decent network, and good avil.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by phoenixdude
Any thoughts on Alaska Milage Plus account. I feel its has decent network, and good avil.
Scroll up, and you'll see that many feel that Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ has the best network around: It belongs to two alliances. Earn into Mileage Plan when flying Alaska or any of the partners, and redeem miles throughout the two alliances.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Firewind
Scroll up, and you'll see that many feel that Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan™ has the best network around: It belongs to two alliances. Earn into Mileage Plan when flying Alaska or any of the partners, and redeem miles throughout the two alliances.
The one thing I don't like abt AS is that awards cannot be combined on multiple carriers. As it award space is so little, so when looking for awards, I really wish carriers could be combined. In this regard, I think AA is the best.
Old Oct 28, 2008, 2:42 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
When you say AA you are referring to American, not Alaska Airlines, correct?
Old Oct 28, 2008, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
...awards cannot be combined on multiple carriers...
That's a new one on me. As long as the freebie itinerary is all in one or the other alliance - say, DL and AF to get to CDG - sure you can.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.