Excess baggage

Old Aug 18, 03, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Excess baggage

Any FFP program offer miles for excess baggage payment ?

How much approximately will it cost for 10kgs. from London to Singapore in miles ?
Old Aug 18, 03, 7:28 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I am not aware of any FrequentFlier program accepting miles for over-weight-luggage payements. But using miles for a one-class upgrade would also give you another 10 kg check-in allowance for business-class (plus more tolerance for more overweight).

If you fly London-Singapur via the USA (or Canada) you are allowed (in eco, without added frequent-flier status-allowance) to check-in 2 pieces of 32 kg each (instead of 'only' a total of 20 kg when flying direct London-Singapur).

Status with airlines also helps to increase your free check-in-allowance (example: StarAlliance Gold status allows plus one piece or plus 20 kg in eco.
Old Aug 18, 03, 7:39 am

Programs: QF WP/LTS
At least Cathay Pacific allows this using Asia Miles. Try this link.

http://www.asiamiles.com/am/1,,83099_84947_eng,00.html

However I've found that a call in advance to the airline (perhaps mention you're moving countries if applicable) will normally secure extra allowance of 10 to 15kg. Just ask for the approving managers name or reference number. Singapore Airlines and Cathay both did this for me a number of times with no problem.
Old Aug 18, 03, 11:20 am

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
With elite status on most airlines, there are additional baggage allowances built into the status.
Old Aug 19, 03, 11:24 am

Does AA waive the 50 lb limit for Gold?
Old Aug 19, 03, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Fairmont Platinum, Hyatt Platinum
We were about 5lbs over recently and American Airlines let it go. I don't know whether it had anything to do with our gold status or not, but it was nice that they looked the other way.
Old Aug 20, 03, 10:07 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Elite status usually gets you an extra bag, not extra pounds in a bag. We were recently asked to transfer some stuff because we had a 53 pound bag by one airline we had status on, it all depends on the counter agent.

Old Aug 20, 03, 1:18 pm

Programs: BAEC gold, M&M FQTV
Air France offers this as well. 10kg extra is anywhere from 5000 (intra-Western Europe) to 12000 (longer routes like to or even between South America and Asia) miles.
Old Aug 20, 03, 3:18 pm

KLM SE: 10 kg
KLM GE: 15 kg
KLM PE: 20 kg

All also offer an extra piece of hand luggage.

Although on the flights I've been on, they never really seem to pay much attention to the weight of your bags unless it's clear that you are WAY over weight. Of course it also depends on how busy the flight is....
Old Aug 20, 03, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was overweight flying NCE-LHR awhile ago. It was a BD flight with an AF codeshare, the counter was manned by subcontracted workers who also seemed to work the KLM flights. I have top status on all BD, KL, and DL (Skyteam). The woman was insistant that I would have to pay overweight. I whipped out the Skyteam card and she said I would still have to pay something. I whipped out the KLM card and she said I'd have to pay something smaller. I whipped out the BD and she said that although it covered my extra piece, I was still overweight (BTW here guys, Biz tkt, 2 pieces, 1 about 28 kilos, the other 32 or so).

Supervisor called over, was very impressed by cards, and asked me with a wink "when I was connecting to a flight to the US". Lucky for me that I had an open, i.e. way in the future half of a Biz ticket in my bag. Showed that, and all was well.

Nice always seems to be a problem with this issue.

Search this Thread