Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

If you have to pick an airline without regard to FF programs...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

If you have to pick an airline without regard to FF programs...

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2003, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, BA, DL, Frontier, NWA, SWA, UA, HHonors Gold, Priority Club Plat, Choice Priv, BW, Diners
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rudystarnberg:
If you have to pick an airline without regard to FF programs, which would you pick? UAL, AA, DELTA, NW, CO or AmerWest?</font>
1) I don't understand the word "pick" here. Just look at people TODAY who don't care [enough] about frequent flyer programs. They hunt for the lowest price on each flight combined with most convenient schedule/airport, with no regards to whether it's the same airline as they flew on any previous flight. I have a neighbor (here in L A), for example, who flew Frontier to DCA, one of the majors (forget which) to SFO, Southwest to Phoenix, one of the Mexican airlines to Mexico, etc. I don't know if she's ever flown the same airline twice to date. One reason: She prefers convenient airports to the VERY lowest fare (so won't choose a Southwest airport like BWI over DCA or OAK over SFO it's not THAT BIG a savings).

And I did the same thing before I started flying a lot in the mid 90s. Before that, I flew once or twice each on Northwest, TWA, Continental, People Express, AA, etc.

2) If these airlines changed so much that they dropped (your implication implies much more than standard "devaluation") their FF programs, why would you assume that the "experience quality" of these airlines would still be the same as it is now? (I mean, haven't the inflight services, for example, been changing radically enough in the past year or so with their yet being an abandonment of FF programs? So wouldn't you expect even more radical changes to service if it got to the point where the airlines no longer found FF programs to make sense for them?)

3) More likely than the FF programs disappearing I would think would be the complete disappearnce of one or more of the airlines from your limited (no low-fare airlines like Southwest or JetBlue, no region-specific airlines like Alaska) list. Which makes answering your question (while sticking to the list you gave) additionally nonsensical in my opinion.

4) If you chose the airlines you did on your list because they include international flights, there's yet another change more likely than FF programs completely disappearing: Loosing of restrictions of airlines flying WITHIN continents other than their own. But without knowing which cities/countries which airlines will serve in the future, how can we answer a question now whether we'd use BA or Emirates for intra-US travel?

[This message has been edited by Stefan Daystrom (edited 08-09-2003).]
Old Aug 9, 2003, 9:05 pm

Location: Baltimore - Hyatt Lifetime Diamond/Courtesy Card, UA 2M
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rudystarnberg:
If you have to pick an airline without regard to FF programs, which would you pick? UAL, AA, DELTA, NW, CO or AmerWest?

The reason why I ask is relates to the sad chance that all FF programs may cease in their current form in the future.

So, what would you fly in terms of best service, most legroom in coach, etc?
</font>
I agree with a previous post that it depends mainly on your home airport. I have achieved seniority in the United program, but they are still the best scheduling choice for me out of San Diego.

But I am curious what you mean by all FF programs ceasing in their current form? I think the consensus is that all airlines view the programs as "necessary evils."

Until such a time when they do cease or change completely, there are abundant opportunities for frre travel. I would add that the quality of service you may recieve can be as dynamic as the award programs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.