Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Savings Bond Question - Mileage Plus Visa Signature Card

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2003, 8:12 am
Original Poster

Savings Bond Question - Mileage Plus Visa Signature Card

I received my new United Mileage Plus Visa Signature credit card yesterday. I called customer service and asked about purchasing savings bonds over the internet. I was told it would most likely be considered a cash advance rather than a purchase. Has anyone used this type credit card to purchase savings bonds in the last few months?
Thanks!

------------------
MilesMan
Old Jul 24, 2003, 8:35 am

If you do a search in this topic on savings bonds, you will find a wealth of information.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 8:49 am

Programs: AA Plt-Lite 2MM,HH Gld, MR Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ed926:
I received my new United Mileage Plus Visa Signature credit card yesterday. I called customer service and asked about purchasing savings bonds over the internet. I was told it would most likely be considered a cash advance rather than a purchase. Has anyone used this type credit card to purchase savings bonds in the last few months?
Thanks!

</font>
I've used to the MP VISA to buy $$$$ of bonds and they always been handled as non cash transaction.
Old Jul 24, 2003, 9:08 am
Suspended

Programs: United Premier, American Airlines
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ed926:
Thanks!

</font>
It's a purchase!!!! I've bought thousands of dollars of these things on my AAdvantage Citibank MasterCard (as recently as this month), and all have posted as a purchase with mileage credit given.

Old Jul 24, 2003, 11:18 am

Programs: AA - Lifetime Gold
I concur. I've used AMEX, CitiBank, and the UA card. All purchases as arranged by da federal govment

Old Jul 24, 2003, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
ed926: Welcome to Flyertalk!! What you've just experienced is found in practically every airline, hotel chain, credit card service center or what have you:

It's called: 1) Politely hang up, and then 2) CALL BACK!

You were given bad info by the CSR with whom you spoke. MP Visa, as issued by an entity of Bank One, and with whom I am VERY familiar will treat these purchases as sales transactions rather than cash advances, as another of the posters has correctly pointed out.

So, start spending and Best wishes, Dave
Old Jul 25, 2003, 5:53 pm
Original Member

Whenever I hear "most likely" or "I think" or the like from a customer rep, I say that I am not interested in a best guess, I actually need the correct info. If it is not forthcomming, I ask to speak to a supervisor.

------------------
Free Frequent Flyer Miles
Old Jul 25, 2003, 6:04 pm

what kind of Bond will be the best? EE?
Old Jul 25, 2003, 9:37 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">what kind of Bond will be the best? EE?</font>
Buy I bonds until you hit the limit - as they now earn twice the rate of the EEs. I don't know why anybody would buy a EE right now unless they are over the max.
Old Jul 26, 2003, 9:02 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i used my mileage + card for bonds. just completed the max for this year for both of us. prior buys posted as purchases.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP MM, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium
Yes, I-bonds is the way to go for now. There are so many threads and links in the forums for all sorts of info. You might want to take a look at this one, which is fairly comprehensive:

http://www.dhanson.net/ibonds.htm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.