Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

When did Travelocity stop awarding FF miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2003, 11:56 am
Original Poster

I am pricing out a simple little flight (SNA-OAK) and am checking the various sites.

I knew that Orbitz, Travelocity, and Expedia started charging a booking fee.

I did NOT know that Travelocity doesn't award FF miles When I got to the final screen for my reservation (before giving credit card info), one of the small print items is that this fare is not eligible for frequent flier miles"

Did this just start? Is it only on 'internet fares'?
Old Jul 21, 2003, 12:55 pm

What is the fare basis code and which airline are you traveling on? I think a lot of booking engines have tacked on a "possibly not eligible for accrual" statement on their T&Cs due to some FFP's not awarding miles on some fares (i.e. an AA flight in Q class will accrue AA miles but not BA or CX miles). Just a little CYA legal speak, IMHO.
Old Jul 21, 2003, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

I don't know the fare basis code, but it is an internet fare on Alaska Airlines (SNA-OAK).
Old Jul 21, 2003, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
This has nothing to do with the booking site or the service fee. The airlines, not the booking sites, award the miles. Every airline has certain fares that are not eligible for mileage accrual. You probably picked such a fare.

------------------
Vasant

[Edited for typo]

[This message has been edited by vasantn (edited 07-21-2003).]
Old Jul 21, 2003, 1:48 pm

All of Travelocity's "Web Fares" contain the restriction, "Ticket is not eligible to accrue frequent flyer miles." No experience on AS, but I have received mileage on a Travelocity Web Fare purchased on UA.
Old Jul 21, 2003, 3:11 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Travelocity never awarded FF miles, the airlines award them based on the fare basis of the fare.

If you are booking a low cost fare with a fare code that does not allow FF miles, you won't get them.
Old Jul 21, 2003, 4:18 pm

Programs: Ex-BA Silver; Ex-UA Premier
If it's an "internet" fare on AS, why not book it on the AS "internet" website rather than thru Travelocity?

Oh, it must be cheaper on the Travelocity "internet" site!. Then why should AS give FF miles.

I have often booked last minute hotel rooms through Expedia much below what I found on the chain website. When I check in I show them my "elite" Frequent Guest card. I never received any upgrades and hardly ever received points for these stays. Nor have I ever felt entitled to them.
Old Jul 21, 2003, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Actually, since it's such a cheap fare, it is cheaper on the Alaska Airlines site because they discount $10, whereas the travel sites add a booking fee.

Each RT was $57.75
Old Jul 21, 2003, 5:37 pm

A return to that good mid-week deal on AS.
FYI fare basis is TXE211NW
Old Jul 22, 2003, 6:41 am

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ALadyNCal:
Actually, since it's such a cheap fare, it is cheaper on the Alaska Airlines site because they discount $10, whereas the travel sites add a booking fee.

Each RT was $57.75
</font>
BINGO!!! If more people thought like you we'd all be happier.
Old Jul 25, 2003, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Actually, in the old days, Travelocity used to send you an American Airlines 500 mile certificate which you could mail into American for each ticket purchased.
Old Jul 30, 2003, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP, 3.1 Million AA Miles, Hilton Diamond, *wood Gold
I have twice received FF miles AND be able to upgrade, when buying air & hotel packages on travelocity. They bought "Site59" and are using "Site59" to offer the combo packages. Just before you get to the credit card screen thay ask you to input your AA FF Nbr. Note not all packages have fares that do this. You have to go through the process and see IF that package's airfare will earn miles.

[This message has been edited by Brandy (edited 07-30-2003).]
Old Jul 30, 2003, 3:21 pm

Programs: AC E75, SPG Plat, HH peon-by-choice (ex Gold)
I've used Travelocity tix before and received FF miles. No problems.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.