Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Trying to find the best solution

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2003, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Trying to find the best solution

I'm traveling from Charlotte to West Palm Beach for a weekend in October, and I'm trying to find the best way to do it.

We're going down there for a concert on Oct 4, so we need to arrive the morning of Oct 4 and return the evening of Oct. 5.

Delta had the best fare - at $167, but we'd have to fly out of Raleigh, which is a 2.5 hour drive from Charlotte. We looked at all the combinations - CLT, RDU, GSO, CAE, GSP -> MIA, FLL, PBI.

Since we weren't too keen on driving to Raleigh, we figured we'd book award travel on US Airways and see what we came up with. We've both got about 20k miles, enough for the lowest tier ticket. But sadly, the only choice for the return trip was at 5am on Oct 5, which is just too early. We wanted to have at least another half day to explore.

I'm thinking the best choice might be the RDU->PBI for 167 on delta. The only problem with that is the driving and the fact that we have so few miles on Delta. My husband has 0, and I've got 9500.

I'm just looking for ideas at this point. How can I optimize this trip?

Thanks!

Old Jul 20, 2003, 8:25 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
The weekend after your trip is Columbus Day, I'm betting lots of people are leaving the same weekend you are flying to make it a long vacation. Friday and Saturday is also cruise traffic day. Any chance you can take that 5 whatever AM flight on Monday?

Did you see where you could save $80 by going to RDU and flying through CLT (over the cost of CLT to Palm)? Got to love that, two extrs segments, flying back to where you drove 2.5 hours from, for less money.
Old Jul 20, 2003, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

That happens ALL the time, where I drive to a different airport and connect through Charlotte to save money. You gotta hate that. I guess there just isn't enough competition - it's basically all US Airways in Charlotte.

Yes, I think I will book the award travel and fly back in early on Monday morning. I can still make it to work on time Very good idea, thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.